• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spend a day in SJPP, or just start the walk?

skotzko

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2022: Frances + Primitivo
I've never been to SJPP. Is it a place that people usually want to stay for a day/night before beginning their walk, or is it more of a "just get there and go" kind of thing? I'll be coming from a few days in Bayonne.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've never been to SJPP. Is it a place that people usually want to stay for a day/night before beginning their walk, or is it more of a "just get there and go" kind of thing? I'll be coming from a few days in Bayonne.
I would recommend staying the night if nothing else, then you can get a good start in the morning. We missed out on that (accidentally; long story) and arrived in SJPdP in the morning by train from Bayonne. By the time we’d been to the pilgrims’ office and looked around a bit, it was 10am before we started walking, which was not ideal.

If you arrive the afternoon before, you can have a look around town and potentially meet some people you’ll see on the trail the next day.

For me it would depend on how much you enjoy small provincial French towns. There are some interesting old buildings, some decent restaurants, some shops for last minute purchases and lots and lots of Pilgrims. My practice has been to check in with the Pilgrims Office and spend the afternoon walking to Valcarlos.
But that’s my inclination. I don’t like throngs. The mellow atmosphere of Valcarlos gives me a gentle re-introduction to Camino

By the time we’d been to the pilgrims’ office and looked around a bit, it was 10am before we started walking, which was not ideal.
However, it is ideal if you have booked at Orisson or Auberge Borda to break up the first stage. Last time I walked the Napoleon route I started out around 11:00 and got to Orisson in the early afternoon.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I arrived latish into Biarritz and spent the night in Bayonne, first train next day to SJPP, visited the pilgrim office mid-morning and walked. It was dusk arriving at Roncesvalles, and in retrospect, coupled with 2 days of downhill after that I wish I'd taken it easier, spending the day/night at SJPP and an early start the next day.

I’ve only been there twice and I’ve no intention of going back having switched my starting point to Pamplona; so - no - get the stamp and get going; unless it’s too late in the day.

Wont you need to spend a half a day there anyway? I am sure plenty of people get the morning train and then walk the Napoleon route but you'll be starting a good few hours after most (which might suit you if you want it quieter). If you want to get a stamp, visit the Church, have a second breakfast, etc time will be getting on especially if you're not walking in the summer.

SJPP is a nice place to spend an afternoon, relax, do a few tourist things, visit the pilgrim office and say hi to a few people and then enjoy a French meal before setting out the next day (although a nice lunch in Bayonne by the river would also be good but you'll probably have already done this). Arrive too late in the evening and accommodation could become more difficult if you've not booked.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Since all that mention a route have only mentioned the Napoleon Route, I will stick up for the Valcarlos Route. A half day will get you to Valcarlos, an easy walk of about 10 km. The next day, you would still be in Roncesvalles, for lunch. That leaves time to contemplate either staying there and resting or, continue, maybe to Espinal, should the spirit move in such a direction.

Since all that mention a route have only mentioned the Napoleon Route, I will stick up for the Valcarlos Route. A half day will get you to Valcarlos, an easy walk of about 10 km. The next day, you would still be in Roncesvalles, for lunch. That leaves time to contemplate either staying there and resting or, continue, maybe to Espinal, should the spirit move in such a direction.
Good suggestion, but Tinker - in post #4 - mentioned the Valcarlos route. 😊

We had a day in SJPP and we were glad to have it.

We spent it exploring, making some last minute purchases, organizing our packs and recovering from jet lag. We could visit the Pilgrims Office without feeling rushed and had two good dinners.

Then we made it to Orisson early enough to enjoy that, too.

A great, gentle introduction to the Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed two nights (a full day) before heading out and loved it. We found it a great place to get completely in the spirit, buy some last minute items, dispose of a few things we decided we didn't really want to carry, explore the town, its history and enjoy its ambiance, great food and fine wine. It was also fun to watch all the other pilgrims as they prepared for their Caminos. Being from Canada Europe is always a wonderful adventure and SJPP was no exception. A great place to get in the spirit.

I had spent SO much time researching and preparing that I was delighted to spend a night there! It's a beautiful little town. Take a look at the shops, the fabric shop, the outdoors store--I got some walking sticks there--the pilgrim's office, climb the stone steps for a stunning view of the city. The church is beautiful, and the stained glass lights up the floor.

If you have worked so hard to get someplace, "be" there for a night, at least. There is a tendency to move, move, move and get used to the notion of existing and enjoying yourself for an evening. The excitement of pilgrims is palpable! I am smiling remember how deeply excited I was. It was such a pleasure.

I had spent SO much time researching and preparing that I was delighted to spend a night there! It's a beautiful little town. Take a look at the shops, the fabric shop, the outdoors store--I got some walking sticks there--the pilgrim's office, climb the stone steps for a stunning view of the city. The church is beautiful, and the stained glass lights up the floor.

If you have worked so hard to get someplace, "be" there for a night, at least. There is a tendency to move, move, move and get used to the notion of existing and enjoying yourself for an evening. The excitement of pilgrims is palpable! I am smiling remember how deeply excited I was. It was such a pleasure.
the fabric shop?! I plan to buy some walking sticks and have some dinner. Going near a fabric shop means I risk carrying it all the way to Santiago. LOL. Do tell...

I spent two nights there before departing for Roncesvalles.
Wished I'd stayed a week and hiked the local area..so so pretty.
I met some interesting townspeople, visited the Pilgrim's Office, picked up some walking sticks, enjoyed a couple good meals and really appreciated the bucolic setting.
Coming from the West Coast of the US I was also grateful for the extra time to shake off the jet lag.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first time I arrived at 1030pm at night and left at 8 am to Roncesvalles after a trip to the pilgrims office. It was August. The second time I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona and stayed the night in SJPP. I found it very crowded with many excited pilgrims ready to start their walk. It was September.

We arrived by the night train in Biarritz, spent the morning there, took the train to SJPD, checked in with the pilgrims office, looked around a bit and had a picnic lunch near the river. Then we walked up to Orrison. We were still jet lagged, and so were grateful to have a laid back day with a short walk, and dinner made for us.

the fabric shop?! I plan to buy some walking sticks and have some dinner. Going near a fabric shop means I risk carrying it all the way to Santiago. LOL. Do tell...
I am also new. There seems to be little to no risk as we are blessed with the services of Ivar! 😇 As I understand, we can send him extra suitcases to hold in Santiago if we wish to visit other places before or after our Camino as well as equipment ahead of our trip to pick up (bike), excess stuff to hold (if we over pack, or great finds along the way). His prices appear quite reasonable and I have seen many high recommendations. (Thank You Ivar! 😃)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am also new. There seems to be little to no risk as we are blessed with the services of Ivar! 😇 As I understand, we can send him extra suitcases to hold in Santiago if we wish to visit other places before or after our Camino

Yes, you can mail to Ivar, but from SJPdP I recommend using Express Bourricot's service to avoid any cross border delays.

There is lots of good food on the camino, but if I had to make a generalization, for me the food seemed to get worse the further I walked. It was still good, and often great, but I had a lot more "meh" meals towards the end, especially in the smaller towns. I had one hamburger with fries that was so bad I couldn't even finish it - who doesn't finish a hamburger? My point being that SJPDP was one of my best meals, and I really enjoyed that first night eating dinner with everyone, and all the excitement that came with it. So I definitely recommend staying at least one night in SJPDP. I don't think there is any point spending a full day there, but if you arrive in the afternoon, get set up, then have some food and drinks, that's plenty.

This really depends on how you like to do your Caminos. Some like to start with a bit of a rest before commencing, to get over jet lag. Others like to get going right away. I find myself a bit more of the latter. When I started my 2018 Camino from Porto, I arrived late in the afternoon and left first thing the next morning. I would rather keep that extra day "in the bank" while walking, to have in case of injury or incase I overestimated how far I'd want to walk in a day. If I don't end up spending it on Camino, I can always do a bit of sightseeing afterwards. Porto is a great little town, and well worth a few days, but I saved that for later.

Many people also find SJPdP a delightful little town to enjoy for a few days. So, if you like to ease into things rather than banking your days, I don't expect you will regret an extra day there (unless you meet some great people and are sorry to see them set off without you - but the next day's pilgrims are likely great, too). And unlike in my case, where I just spent a couple of days in Porto after my Camino, perhaps you won't want to return to SJ{PdP to check it out in greater depth after yours.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Great advice from the experienced Pilgrims - thanks for your guidance. Another question if I may; I'm starting from SJPP on March 24. I've done the research but I'm still uncertain whether to walk directly to Roncesvalles or to overnight in Valcarlos? I've done a fair amount of training/prep but I'm not sure how challenging the elevation and climbs will be. I also appreciate the weather at the end of March is a significant factor and will obviously incorporate that into plans.

What did you end up deciding to do?

Great advice from the experienced Pilgrims - thanks for your guidance. Another question if I may; I'm starting from SJPP on March 24. I've done the research but I'm still uncertain whether to walk directly to Roncesvalles or to overnight in Valcarlos? I've done a fair amount of training/prep but I'm not sure how challenging the elevation and climbs will be. I also appreciate the weather at the end of March is a significant factor and will obviously incorporate that into plans.
The thing about the Valcarlos route is that the section after Valcarlos is the most difficult section: no water and it’s where you find the elevation. I walked the whole SJPDP to Roncesvalles route in one day, but I’d never do it again. I’d spend the night in Valcarlos and save the harder section for the morning.

Thanks NL for the insight and your experience - much appreciated. No single solution but great guidance on the realities of this challenging leg. I will plan to split and stop in Valcarlos unless I hear any other compelling opinions from the community.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks NL for the insight and your experience - much appreciated. No single solution but great guidance on the realities of this challenging leg. I will plan to split and stop in Valcarlos unless I hear any other compelling opinions from the community.
Doing the same in April as it seemed like the most straightforward. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back