Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
John Brierley Camino Frances Guide
This guide is one of the ones that has been around for over 15 years. Updated yearly. Please read the reviews.
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

Spending Money on the Del Norte

Daniel Crowe

Year of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Evening everyone!

I've come with a question about spending money on the Camino this year, particularly on the Del Norte.

My first Camino was the Frances in 2018 and on that trip I took €2000 spending money for about 35 days. That comes out about €57 euros a day, which funnily enough - or not- was far more than I needed in the end. But I've been seeing and hearing in the last few days of price hikes all along them Caminos., which was to be expected. But can anyone tell me if they think €2000 is enough for the Del Norte in September?
I'm looking to do it in maybe 30-33 days.

All feedback is great, though I'm hoping to hear particularly from people who have done it this year, or are in the process of doing it. Thank you!

Thank

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

trecile

Camino Addict
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
Evening everyone!

I've come with a question about spending money on the Camino this year, particularly on the Del Norte.

My first Camino was the Frances in 2018 and on that trip I took €2000 spending money for about 35 days. That comes out about €57 euros a day, which funnily enough - or not- was far more than I needed in the end. But I've been seeing and hearing in the last few days of price hikes all along them Caminos., which was to be expected. But can anyone tell me if they think €2000 is enough for the Del Norte in September?

All feedback is great, though I'm hoping to hear particularly from people who have done it this year, or are in the process of doing it. Thank you!

Thank
Probably. The summer holiday crowds should be gone by then, so you won't be there in "high season" competing with tourists for beds. Be aware though that a lot of the municipal albergues are not opening this year, so the average price for a bed will probably be a higher than your 2018 Camino Frances. As you discovered, €57/day is a pretty generous budget unless you are staying in private rooms a lot, so you should be fine with that amount.
Check Gronze for accommodation prices

Daniel Crowe

Camino Frances 2018

VDLP (2020)
Probably. The summer holiday crowds should be gone by then, so you won't be there in "high season" competing with tourists for beds. Be aware though that a lot of the municipal albergues are not opening this year, so the average price for a bed will probably be a higher than your 2018 Camino Frances. As you discovered, €57/day is a pretty generous budget unless you are staying in private rooms a lot, so you should be fine with that amount.
Check Gronze for accommodation prices

Thanks Trecile, I will do.

lisaflora

Evening everyone!

Thank
In Cantabria right now...many problems with no lodging available. Tonight 65eu for pension. Not many pilgrim meals...paying 18eu for menu El dia. But this is the most expensive part...was a bit cheaper with 15eu albergues a few days ago ...but they are filling fast. Many people finding Airbnb when they hook up with new friends...saves some $$.

SuperPilgrim

CF June 5, 2013
CF June 5, 2015
CF June 3, 2017
CN May 27, 2019
Evening everyone!

Thank
Definately not enough. Norte is at least 40% more expensive on a normal year and prices are all over the map since covid. I'd plan for double the cost of your previous Camino and hopefully you won't need it.

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances