• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spending money/subsistence

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - Sarria to Santiago (2015)
Camino Frances - Sarria to Santiago to Fisterra (2016)
How much per day do you think I need to budget for? I will be staying in hotels so anticipate this will be breakfast included. But theres midday meals and dinners and drinks and all that. I speak good Spanish and like local food so expect that to help. (When I went last year I was on an organised trip with dinner included and a fast pace set with little stopping).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How much per day do you think I need to budget for? I will be staying in hotels so anticipate this will be breakfast included. But theres midday meals and dinners and drinks and all that. I speak good Spanish and like local food so expect that to help. (When I went last year I was on an organised trip with dinner included and a fast pace set with little stopping).
At least 60€ per day if you are staying in hotels. Knowing Spanish doesn't change the price of food. If you stray from menu del dia or from the local mercado you'll need more money.

At least 60€ per day of you're staying in hotels. Knowing Spanish doesn't change the cost of food. If you stray from menu del dia or the local mercado you'll need more money.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
At least 60€ per day if you are staying in hotels. Knowing Spanish doesn't change the price of food. If you stray from menu del dia or from the local mercado you'll need more money.
Thanks very much for this. On the speaking Spanish I only meant that I have come across people who have been nervous to go into places less obviously aiming at foreigners or have only chosen products they recognise and have ended up paying more as a result. What thinking was included in your 60 euros please?

Hi Alison , last year I spend about € 1400 and I walked 37 day's. Slept for 34 nights in albergues. When you only stay in hotels I think it will be around €60 /70 a day.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

A hotel room will cost 20-40€ depending on shared bath or not, double room or not, and location. Menu del dia in the 10-12€ range and some money for fruit, Café con Leche etc. 60€ is actually quite a low estimate when I think about it some more. Also, you don't want to be caught short on money. Not every town or village has an ATM and it's definitely a cash society except in the larger cities. Hoped this helped!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A hotel room will cost 20-40€ depending on shared bath or not, double room or not, and location. Menu del dia in the 10-12€ range and some money for fruit, Café con Leche etc. 60€ is actually quite a low estimate when I think about it some more. Also, you don't want to be caught short on money. Not every town or village has an ATM and it's definitely a cash society except in the larger cities. Hoped this helped!
Thank you for this. I was just looking for estimate for over and above the hotel room. and really just working out what I can do with the budget I have rather than how to pay for it (though your details are welcome) So just food and drink and anything else I have not thought of. Surely 2 meals @ 15 euros = 30 euros + 30 euros more for drinks should be OK?

Easily. Many meals come with wine. For me, I typically eat a bit of fruit, stop for coffee and a crossiant, and then don't eat again until after arriving at the days stopping point. Food will cost a little more in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon but that's probably just because we couldn't stop eating pinxtos!

another thing to consider is that spending all your notes in hotels is comfortable but i found that staying in the municipals and allergies really added to my social view of the world. met far more people and actually had great conversations in a very simplistic setting. don't get me wrong, i loved the nice hotels in burgos and leon, but felt alive with the peoples people in the hostels. so i suggest a mix!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
another thing to consider is that spending all your notes in hotels is comfortable but i found that staying in the municipals and allergies really added to my social view of the world. met far more people and actually had great conversations in a very simplistic setting. don't get me wrong, i loved the nice hotels in burgos and leon, but felt alive with the peoples people in the hostels. so i suggest a mix!!
Absolutely mi amigo but there are various reasons why not on this occasion.

Your question got me wondering so I looked up our ATM withdrawals during the Camino Frances and then I figured that the 47 days we spent in albergues cost us 20 euros a night and the 11 times we had private rooms cost us 35 euros a night (yes, 58 days!) That left us spending the rest of the money at 25 euros each per day. However a young lady we met about halfway through the CF had budgeted 15 euros a day for everything.

That left us spending the rest of the money at 25 euros each per day.
I'm sorry, I should have added that breakfast was usually 2 coffees and rolls, lunch was usually sandwiches made by us that lasted for two days, some wine or beer when we stopped in the early afternoon and usually a pilgrims' dinner. Admissions to sights took up some and also stops at phamarcies. None of this was kept account of but the rest must have been for those little things like new socks, postcards and donations. I have been saying that the two of us must have spent a total of 60 euros a day but the calculations I just did came up with a figure of 72 euros a day, 20% more.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, Alison,
A lot of this calculation depends on whether by "hotels" you mean private accommodations in Spain whose sign outside has an "H" designation, or whether you mean private lodging generally. You are likely to find those H places more frequently in the bigger towns/cities. In the smaller places, there will be Hostales (HS), Pensiones (P), Hostal Residencia (HsR) , and a few others, and in these categories the prices are likely to be lower than hotels, but unlikely to have breakfast included in the rate. In fact, even many hotels in Spain do not include the breakfast automatically anymore, you have to pay a supplement. Then there are Casas Rurales (CR), which you will find in many of the rural areas, and these places have a huge range in terms of amenities, meals, etc, but are frequently vey beautiful old family estates turned into private lodging. There is actually a pretty dizzying array of classification in the Spanish lodging industry, but I think that in most places along the Camino Frances, you can find a private bed for no more than 30 single or 40 double.

Your food costs can range from extremely low, if you eat sandwiches, food from grocery stories, and maybe one pilgrim meal a day (10-12 euros but usually more geared to filling your caloric needs than to creating a pleasant culinary experience). Full breakfasts, a couple of coffee stops, main mean in a decent restaurant, maybe tapas for dinner, can push you easily into 30 or more euros for food a day. The Spanish businesses along the way will appreciate every euro you can afford to leave behind. :) Buen camino, Laurie

I budgeted 35 euros per day for my pilgrimage last fall, but in fact spent only about 25, averaging out at 10 euros per night for a bed in an albergue, 10 for the menu peregrino in the evening, and 5 for a cafe con leche and tostados breakfast and a piece of apple and a piece of cheese for lunch. I never felt like I was doing without, but simply bought the usual pilgrim's breakfast and evening meal and didn't want much for lunch.

I stayed in private rooms throughout. Casa Rurals, private rooms in Albergues, and some nice Hotels. In some places there are not a lot of options.

I shared my budget here, (e100/day) with a couple of other 'lower' budget variants that might be possible.

http://robscamino.com/27th-of-june-camino-budget/

Your budget can really be what you want it to be :oops:
My room costs varied between e24 (Private room with ensuite at Casa Rural and e130 (Parador) ....

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bananas in Spain are surprisingly cheap - I was buying two or three every second day and I tried to shop in the small local tienda (to put some Euros back into the local economy). You can even get good bread/cheese/ (meat of your choice as necessary) in local shops to supplement your lunch requirements. The vino tinto with the evening meal is essential (imho). So your food costs should be around E20 - plus whatever your bed costs.
As for the inclusion of breakfast in room tariff - not always true, maybe do some research. The ATM/cash tip is useful. Cheers

Bananas in Spain are surprisingly cheap - I was buying two or three every second day and I tried to shop in the small local tienda (to put some Euros back into the local economy). You can even get good bread/cheese/ (meat of your choice as necessary) in local shops to supplement your lunch requirements. The vino tinto with the evening meal is essential (imho). So your food costs should be around E20 - plus whatever your bed costs.
As for the inclusion of breakfast in room tariff - not always true, maybe do some research. The ATM/cash tip is useful. Cheers
Bananas are sooooo expensive in Spain In comparison to what we pay in Canada. How much do you pay? I fan regularly get them for 79 cents per pound.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I might be able to provide a high side bracket. Last year it was our 40 anniversary and so we celebrated. We walked 60 days, stayed exclusively in private rooms with baths including a number of expensive places (6 days in a Parador while recovering from an injury, la Perla in Pamplona, a couple of other Paradors, some very nice casa rurales, ...) and spent e8000 (e133 per day) for two people including rooms, food, meds and everything other than air travel. This year we are budgeting e120 per day and expect to spend e100 per day. So maybe an upper bound for one person would be e80-100 per day and I suspect e60-70 would be plenty.

I might be able to provide a high side bracket. Last year it was our 40 anniversary and so we celebrated. We walked 60 days, stayed exclusively in private rooms with baths including a number of expensive places (6 days in a Parador while recovering from an injury, la Perla in Pamplona, a couple of other Paradors, some very nice casa rurales, ...) and spent e8000 (e133 per day) for two people including rooms, food, meds and everything other than air travel. This year we are budgeting e120 per day and expect to spend e100 per day. So maybe an upper bound for one person would be e80-100 per day and I suspect e60-70 would be plenty.

I managed e100 / day on my own on the CF. I guess it depends how much you eat and drink! (that was all costs) And I did not go 'over the top' by any means. Private rooms, modest hotels/CR, all meals, internet etc etc.

Mind you my Camino was rather like that of Joost in the 'movie'. I kind of ate and drank my way across Spain :oops:
Here was my 'budget' http://robscamino.com/27th-of-june-camino-budget/

I think there is a danger that some people get a bit too wound up over budgets. How long is a piece of string? What to me is a perfectly acceptable private room in a CR to some would be unacceptable. Who knows? You have only to read Hotel reviews on TripAdvisor to wonder what "Royal Palace' some people grew up in :D

From my own experience and lots of reading on here, I reckon a daily budget starts at e25-30 staying in Albergues, and just goes up from there..............depending what you want ;)

Bandanas are sooooo expensive in Spain In comparison to what we pay in Canada. How much do you pay? I fan regularly get them for 79 cents per pound.
I think I paid Euro 3 for 6 large ones - can't remember what they weighed. The other advantage of the Spanish bananas is that they come from the Canary Islands - so are usually only a day or so after being picked. How far did the bananas in Canada travel???

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked for 4 weeks last year (2015) and plan to do the same this year (May) from where I stopped just outside Burgos, in that time I spent around 600 euros, but that was staying in albergues, not Hotels. I didn't do breakfast as such, just some fruit or things like that, maybe a coffee and a little snack at some road side stop on route sometimes, their's lots of them. Lunch was bought somewhere the day before after my arrival at the albergues , mainly take out food to make a picnic, things like that. Evening meals were mostly in restaurants that served pilgrim meals for between 9 to 15 euros, these were always 3 courses with about a half liter of wine to go with it :) or bottled water (sometimes both), I didn't do soft drinks, only water for the day time. So I managed an average of 25 to 30 euros per day.

I managed e100 / day on my own on the CF. I guess it depends how much you eat and drink! (that was all costs) And I did not go 'over the top' by any means. Private rooms, modest hotels/CR, all meals, internet etc etc.

Looking more closely what we spent last year for two people (I love numbers and tend to keep track of everything), we spent an average of e79 per night on a room and e52 per day on food, with a few euros for a taxi leaving Leon (it was dark and raining hard and so we took a taxi to the other side of the highway - safety advice provided by someone) and other small expenses. We usually bought lunch (fruit, yoghurt, and vegetables) at the market, unless included with the room breakfast was cafe con leche for me and orange juice and a bit more for my wife, for dinner we ate whatever seemed interesting from the menu.

I am starting my fourth Camino when I leave for the airport today to fly to Madrid. I will walk to Santiago from there, starting Thursday.

On my past three Caminos, I averaged €56 per day. BUT, I regularly stay in hostals or small hotels, not albergues. So, my daily spend is higher.

If you stay almost totally in albergues, except the occasional treat or splurge on a private room with a private bathroom, you can likely cut this comfortably to about €30 per day. Remember, individual performance and spending rates may vary...

BTW, I have used www.booking.com for four years successfully, to secure lodging. Other than this, I use lodging web sites if they exist, e-mail, and in extremis ask someone who speaks better Spanish than me to call ahead to secure or confirm lodging, using my mobile phone.

I get bronchitis easily, and attract every foot fungus known to man if I stay in albergues, it's not personal vis-a-vis other pilgrims. I love to be around others. I just do not want their germs. Plus, I know that I snore and have to use the toilet at least four times each sleep cycle. :eek: So, as suffering is not voluntarily in my remit, as as I am blessed to be able to afford it, I choose to stay in private accommodations, for the benefit of all pilgrims near me.;)

Also, allow enough money for emergency clothing buys. Everything costs more in Spain. If you find you need an additional fleece layer, for example, expect to pay a good USD 100 for a decent one. (BTW - sizes run about two smaller as marked than in the US - my US male XL is a XXL or even a XXXL in Spain). Also, have an allowance for equipment or clothing that gets lost, broken, misplaced, etc. Life happens...

The Camino does provide...but there are occasionally, gaps in coverage...:cool:

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Many small hotel type accomondations like pensions, etc. do not provide breakfast now. Some do, of course.
Those that do offer breakfast often do not start until 8am which is later than most would want.

I am starting my fourth Camino when I leave for the airport today to fly to Madrid. I will walk to Santiago from there, starting Thursday.

On my past three Caminos, I averaged €56 per day. BUT, I regularly stay in hostals or small hotels, not albergues. So, my daily spend is higher.

If you stay almost totally in albergues, except the occasional treat or splurge on a private room with a private bathroom, you can likely cut this comfortably to about €30 per day. Remember, individual performance and spending rates may vary...

BTW, I have used www.booking.com for four years successfully, to secure lodging. Other than this, I use lodging web sites if they exist, e-mail, and in extremis ask someone who speaks better Spanish than me to call ahead to secure or confirm lodging, using my mobile phone.

I get bronchitis easily, and attract every foot fungus known to man if I stay in albergues, it's not personal vis-a-vis other pilgrims. I love to be around others. I just do not want their germs. Plus, I know that I snore and have to use the toilet at least four times each sleep cycle. :eek: So, as suffering is not voluntarily in my remit, as as I am blessed to be able to afford it, I choose to stay in private accommodations, for the benefit of all pilgrims near me.;)

Also, allow enough money for emergency clothing buys. Everything costs more in Spain. If you find you need an additional fleece layer, for example, expect to pay a good USD 100 for a decent one. (BTW - sizes run about two smaller as marked than in the US - my US male XL is a XXL or even a XXXL in Spain). Also, have an allowance for equipment or clothing that gets lost, broken, misplaced, etc. Life happens...

Again thanks for this. Love this Forum!!! Is that 56 euros a day including accommodation costs? Like you I will not be staying in albergues and for very much the same reasons (apart from the fungus - poor you!). I do love the company of others but I also love the peaceful time after a shower in privacy in quiet with my journal or smartphone. I am trying here to separate out the costs that I can accurately predict by booking from home and those that are how things pan out on the way. This way I feel I can work out how long I can go for and therefore what journey I can do. Emergencies are another matter - and another budget heading. If they take me over budget well so be it! I will round up all the figures anyway!

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alison: Was there something you wanted to ask?
Again thanks for this. Love this Forum!!! Is that 56 euros a day including accommodation costs? Like you I will not be staying in albergues and for very much the same reasons (apart from the fungus - poor you!). I do love the company of others but I also love the peaceful time after a shower in privacy in quiet with my journal or smartphone. I am trying here to separate out the costs that I can accurately predict by booking from home and those that are how things pan out on the way. This way I feel I can work out how long I can go for and therefore what journey I can do. Emergencies are another matter - and another budget heading. If they take me over budget well so be it! I will round up all the figures anyway.

So Question was does the 56 euros you suggested include accommodation costs?

In total I spent about 30 pounds a day. Stayed mainly at refuges but did use the occasional hotel. Most meals, apart from lunch, were at small cafes/resteraunts. Included are bus & taxitransfers to from airports.
Thats the average over a month - two trips.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What I've seen in this thread is that older members seem to manage getting by spending an average of about 25 euros per person per day beyond their lodging costs. And this seems to hold true for a wide variety of non-Joostian eating habits. So, maybe budget 20% more, 30 euros. If you are doing just the last 100 km then maybe budget an extra 10% to 15%, up to 35 euros for what may be more expensive meals. Add some more yet if you want the food to taste good.

What I've seen in this thread is that older members seem to manage getting by spending an average of about 25 euros per person per day beyond their lodging costs. And this seems to hold true for a wide variety of non-Joostian eating habits. So, maybe budget 20% more, 30 euros. If you are doing just the last 100 km then maybe budget an extra 10% to 15%, up to 35 euros for what may be more expensive meals. Add some more yet if you want the food to taste good.
non-Joostian? Que?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
WWJD --- What Would Joost Do?

This thread just made me laugh out loud on a conference call when I should have been listening (or at least muted).
i was referred to as Joost many times...always a compliment and smiled while me and my 300lbs walked past them climbing the hills...lol

between all caminos I have walked, I think I`ve never spent more than 30 Euros per day in total...But I think average was always much lower than that ( hard to keep track as some of the caminos been a while ago).

I`m a bit envy of your budget guys!

If I had that Budget It would take me forever to get in Santiago due to the amount of beers I`d be hitting along the way :cool::p:)

The cervezas in Spain are far cheaper than in England and the café con leche prices are a third of what Starbucks and Costa Coffee charge.

I am not sure how many caminos I will be doing, this could be my first and my last so I am not going to let a budget get in my way of doing what I want, eating what I like or sleeping comfortably. I want to make the most of my Camino but at the same time I am fully conscious of the fact that I am doing this on my own and my wife, lovely though she is, might well ask, "how much have you spent and on what" when she sees how much money I've blown.
Thanks to all you guys for supplying back-up evidence!

Hmm - I'm not sure that e25 per person per day is managing to get by. We were not budget limited but since we were eating nearly evening meal out and many times an excellent breakfast was provided, we preferred not to eat large every evening. Based on that we rarely ate the pilgrim meal or the meal of the day, ate at a number of excellent restaurants, many times enjoyed an excellent soup and bread and a bottle of wine, and enjoyed pinxtos and tapas. As in all things your mileage may vary. We tend to eat light and I suspect you could double the food budget (but you may find that you have added more weight than you wished;)).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sh
Again thanks for this. Love this Forum!!! Is that 56 euros a day including accommodation costs? Like you I will not be staying in albergues and for very much the same reasons (apart from the fungus - poor you!). I do love the company of others but I also love the peaceful time after a shower in privacy in quiet with my journal or smartphone. I am trying here to separate out the costs that I can accurately predict by booking from home and those that are how things pan out on the way. This way I feel I can work out how long I can go for and therefore what journey I can do. Emergencies are another matter - and another budget heading. If they take me over budget well so be it! I will round up all the figures anyway.

So Question was does the 56 euros you suggested include accommodation costs?

Short answer, yes, it does include lodging. I spend very little on food, souvenirs, and other stuff. Lodging is the largest portion of my Camino budget.

I hope this helps.

Your question got me wondering so I looked up our ATM withdrawals during the Camino Frances and then I figured that the 47 days we spent in albergues cost us 20 euros a night and the 11 times we had private rooms cost us 35 euros a night (yes, 58 days!) That left us spending the rest of the money at 25 euros each per day. However a young lady we met about halfway through the CF had budgeted 15 euros a day for everything.
i came in with 32 euros a day over 37 days to santiago with a mix of municipals, allergies and hotels. i had the pilgrim meal almost always but i decided to walk the frances sober to let in all my senses could handle. of course santiago was a celebration...lol

I hope this helps.
"I get bronchitis easily, and attract every foot fungus known to man if I stay in albergues, " Ah, yes, Albergue Crud. I remember choosing a bunk on the far side of the room from the poor lady who had it. (IMHO she needed to take a rest day, stay in a pension, and try to float away on her soup/water/wine consumption. But everyone is different.)
In 2014 I thought I knew something from reading, but didn't know much. One thing that happened was I got athlete's foot fungus. (So when we got home, after gas-poisoning all the poor security people in airports who had to touch my nasty botes, I put said botes into a giant Ziplock bag and stuck them into the freezer for a few days. Trashing the old insoles.) When we left in 2015, I carried a tube of Lotrimin Ultra and any time I felt the least bit of itching during the day, that night I slathered the area with my alcohol hand sanitizer and then massaged in the antifungal cream. It was a *much* more comfortable trip for my feet.
HTH

The cervezas in Spain are far cheaper than in England and the café con leche prices are a third of what Starbucks and Costa Coffee charge.

I am not sure how many caminos I will be doing, this could be my first and my last so I am not going to let a budget get in my way of doing what I want, eating what I like or sleeping comfortably. I want to make the most of my Camino but at the same time I am fully conscious of the fact that I am doing this on my own and my wife, lovely though she is, might well ask, "how much have you spent and on what" when she sees how much money I've blown.
Thanks to all you guys for supplying back-up evidence!
Cervezas in Spain are expensive, more so than house red wine. It's wine country, what can you expect? And DH doesn't like Estrella a bit, he switched to vino tinto.
Cafe con leche at first open bar after leaving at oh-dark-thirty every day. Bocadillo around 9, split between two as they were mostly huge after Pamplona. Mas cafe--about every one to two hours, ahem, cycle time for the coffee. Tinto at quitting time with some snack, we really prefer to eat earlier than the Spanish, and heavy tapa would suit us better than eating at 8:30 or later. (and 8:30 is silly-tourist-hour there, real people eat much later. I guess.) One thing about sleeping in albergues most of the time, you have to be in by 10 or else.
Once you get into pulpo country the cost of the afternoon tapas is higher. Love that pulpo!

I think I paid Euro 3 for 6 large ones - can't remember what they weighed. The other advantage of the Spanish bananas is that they come from the Canary Islands - so are usually only a day or so after being picked. How far did the bananas in Canada travel???
About 6-8 Times what we pay. Our bandanas arrive Green, turn yellow once brought home. They are actually also a different type, much larger than the ones from Canarias.

Cervezas in Spain are expensive, more so than house red wine. It's wine country, what can you expect? And DH doesn't like Estrella a bit, he switched to vino tinto.
Cafe con leche at first open bar after leaving at oh-dark-thirty every day. Bocadillo around 9, split between two as they were mostly huge after Pamplona. Mas cafe--about every one to two hours, ahem, cycle time for the coffee. Tinto at quitting time with some snack, we really prefer to eat earlier than the Spanish, and heavy tapa would suit us better than eating at 8:30 or later. (and 8:30 is silly-tourist-hour there, real people eat much later. I guess.) One thing about sleeping in albergues most of the time, you have to be in by 10 or else.
Once you get into pulpo country the cost of the afternoon tapas is higher. Love that pulpo!
Beer in Spain is cheap. In general you should be ordering "una caña", which is a draft beer, typically less than 2 euro. A bottled beer will set you back 2 euro.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Costs are going up. Last year £1 sterling could buy 1.50 euros. At the beginning of 2016 it was down to 1.34 euros and now today £1 sterling will only buy 1.20 euros. :(

Yay! According to estimates from this thread, I have just won 2 days subsistence for this October's return on Camino - on the Grand National - horse named "I Ruled the World" (just liked the name!).

If it's any help we've booked across Spain from Pamplona to SdC this August/September.
The average cost is €30 each but that includes the Paradors in Leon and SdC and about 1/3 of these include breakfast (breakfast is included at both Paradors) and one is bed, breakfast and evening meal - in our defence it might be the last Camino so . . .

From a websearch:
Spain Restaurant Prices Comparison
  • Coffee and a pastry or toast for breakfast is under 2€ (add 1.50€ for freshly squeezed orange juice)
  • A baguette and a drink for lunch will cost about 5€.
  • A three course 'menu del dia' can cost anything from 6€ to 15€. A la carte meals are more expensive, but you can still eat well for under 20€.
  • Spain is hot - factor into your budget the need to buy water and stop for a cool drink occasionally. A 1.5L bottle of water from a street vendor or convenience store is 1.50€ (60c in a supermarket, though it will rarely be cold). Potato chips and a chocolate bar will cost you 2€ for the two.
  • Total Food Budget Per Day: 15-40€ (if you eat lunch from a supermarket you can eat even cheaper).
A cost-of-living comparison site, gives the following prices for restaurant prices in Barcelona (it gives very similar figures for Madrid):

• Meal, Inexpensive Restaurant 10.00 €
  • Meal for 2, Mid-range Restaurant, Three-course 40.00 €
  • Combo Meal at McDonalds or Similar 6.95 €
  • Domestic Beer (0.5 liter draught) 2.50 €
  • Imported Beer (0.33 liter bottle) 3.00 €
  • Cappuccino (regular)1.55 €
  • Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle)1.50 €
  • Water (0.33 liter bottle) 1.20 €
A 'basket' of one of each of these goods in Barcelona comes to 66.78€, according to Numbeo. As a comparison, they give the following prices for the same selection of services in other cities around the world:

• Madrid 73.50€
  • London 89.16€
  • New York 86.11€
  • Paris 88.00€
  • Sydney 84.69€

Hope this helps!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.