• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spending New Years Eve on the Camino

pimentinha

Hello Everyone

I will be leaving Porto/my Home on the 26th is anyone else doing the camino around those days? Any advices for the winter or new years eve?

Many Thanks

Paulo

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Paulo,

... and I thought I'd be alone on the Camino this time. I fly into Porto on 26th Dec and will start walking on the 27th. At a guess, that would put me in Valenca / Tui for New Year's Eve. Sounds like a blast. I read somewhere to expect flooded paths, which swayed my choice of footwear this time to something without mesh/goretex over the toes. Leather/goretex mids this time and very small and low gators will my footwear choice.

Maybe I'll see you on the Way?

Cheers,

The German

Thanks for the information Albertinho. :) If I'm still in Portugal I will drink a glass for you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Saude ! Zum Wohl ! Drink a glass for me if you are in Spain as well :) Salut
Enjoy and have a safe journey
Schöne Grüsse frohe Weinachten und guter Rutsch !
So that's one glass in Valencia ans another in Tui? Salut und prost! :eek: vie got 31km so walk the next day so that had better be my limit ;)

Strictly speaking I will be spending New Years Eve on the Camino as I will travel to Navacerrada (on the Camino Madrid) that day to visit my friend who lives there. The Camino passes her door, so after the 12 grapes we will walk a hundred yards of it to the bar!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@HermanTheGerman and @pimentinha, please be aware of the following information.

The spanish National Protection Service has raised a bad weather warning from tomorrow, untill the first week of January. An Atlantic front it's coming to hit Northern Portugal and Galicia, with rain to reach up to 90l/m2 in 12 hours, and winds up to 120km per hour.

So, be carefull out there. Have a great time, but don't push it. For the portuguese part, you can use (+351) 915 595 213, The Via Lusitana SOS phone number for pilgrims.

If you really need help, you can use the EU 112 Emergency number. Carry a whistle if you can.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Diogo, thank you very much for the warning. I will be sure to be extra careful this time. I always have a whistle with me and will be taking protective glasses against the wind. I was wondering if the storm front from the UK would creep its way down which is what people are expecting now by the sound of things. I will channel my energy and think of sunny skies. Hopefully that will be enough. Cheers, The German

I was wondering if the storm front from the UK would creep its way down which is what people are expecting now by the sound of things

It is here. Very strong gusting winds c100kmh, driving rain at 500m plus. It is not so cold air temps, or wind chill, but quite fierce at the moment. Take care out there.

http://www.aemet.es/es/portada (accurate weather para Galicia)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Strictly speaking I will be spending New Years Eve on the Camino as I will travel to Navacerrada (on the Camino Madrid) that day to visit my friend who lives there. The Camino passes her door, so after the 12 grapes we will walk a hundred yards of it to the bar!

Hey Al that's good news that we're not the only ones on the Camino over New Year's. Wish you a good one!

It is here. Very strong gusting winds c100kmh, driving rain at 500m plus. It is not so cold air temps, or wind chill, but quite fierce at the moment. Take care out there.

http://www.aemet.es/es/portada (accurate weather para Galicia)

The winds are also pretty fierce here in Germany, but where I live it's not unusual. The trick is to stay low and travel along the sides of the mountains instead over the tops or over the plateaus. Also be aware of the surrounding types of trees; pine are more susceptible to being blown down in a storm as oak for instance. I'll be keeping my eye on the weather forecast and pray that the worst of the storm will be gone by the 26th.

Here in Holland on the coast the winds are also quite fierce!

I will also be walking the last few days of the year but along the Francés (doing a mini-Camino from Sarria-Santiago) and hope to spend Nochevieja in Santiago with a group of peregrino/hospitalero friends.

Have a safe Camino along the Portuguese and may 2014 be filled with lots of wonderful Caminos!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here in Holland on the coast the winds are also quite fierce!

I will also be walking the last few days of the year but along the Francés (doing a mini-Camino from Sarria-Santiago) and hope to spend Nochevieja in Santiago with a group of peregrino/hospitalero friends.

Have a safe Camino along the Portuguese and may 2014 be filled with lots of wonderful Caminos!

Thanks LTfit, I wish you also a great Camino and 2014. If you're still on Santiago on the 5th Jan then perhaps we'll meet.

Well if the winds are no stronger than 90kmh it should be quite doable. We were up on the mountain where we live last night on heilig Abend with a hot thermos of gleuwein. The winds were a blowing, but with my Leki poles and a tail wind I felt like Steve Austin the bionic pilgrim... was a little hard to hear the sound fx though... ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just finished the Frances in June and the desire to return is so strong. Since I dont't think I can take off another 6 weeks in spring/summer , I am contemplating doing Portuguese or Sarria/Santiago during Christmas/New Years vacation since I am off work at that time. Not sure which would have more open alburgues or more importantly more fellow pilgrims. I know it will be different than spring, but would still hope to have some people around. Would one route be better for weather than the other? Please share your experience and thoughts for those who have been there for Christmas and/or New Years.

I've walked the Portuguese twice over new years Eve. The first time I spent it in the really nice stone municipal albergue at Redondela with 8 other pilgrims. The city was pumping with action although there was an 8pm curfew.. Nothing a wedge of paper in the door won't fix . the second time I was in Valenca on the Portuguese side of the border. Ghost town. There was absolutely nothing open and nobody to be seen. You're better off walking the extra 3 km to cross the bridge and get to Tui, where there's plenty of action. We passed many people here tje next morning who were still partying in the streets. BuenCamino, the German

Not Portuguese related but I spent New Years Eve in Pedruso on the CF, there was no cafes, bars or anything open, 10 pilgrims in the Xunta albergue and 5 of us in a hotel. The locals had gone to Santiago for the night. If you want a really quiet last day into Santiago then walk it on New Years day, but dont expect any cafes to be open for a caffeine shot.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back