• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

spending the night in SJPP or Orisson?

KJG

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances July-August (2018)
I will be arriving in Paris (from Canada) on July 10th, taking an evening train to Bayonne, and then was planning to take the first train to SJPP the next morning on the 11th. I have a reservation at Orisson for the night of the 11th, but I'm just wondering if a few hours in the morning wandering SJPP will be enough or if i'll wish I'd stayed the night there instead. Would you recommend staying the night in Saint Jean and then doing the whole walk to Roncesvalles the next day, as opposed to my original plan of wandering SJPP for a few hours before walking to Orisson to stay the night? Either way I will arrive in Roncesvalles on the 12th, it's more just a matter of spending a whole day in St Jean, or a half day and breaking up the hike to Roncesvalles over two days.

I was planning to stay the night in Orisson just because I can't arrive in SJPP until morning, not because I'm worried about the walk. Staying in a small beautiful spot in the mountains sounds really nice, but I wonder if I'll be missing out on connecting with people in SJPP who are also starting out their hike, or missing out on exploring a super nice little town. From what I've read Orisson is very small and seems to be more of a stopping place for folks who feel they need to break the journey up.

Keep in mind i'll probably be very jetlagged and tired after an overnight flight from Vancouver, a long train ride, and a late arrival/early departure from Bayonne. I am in decent shape and I'm used to steep hikes. Jetlag is real but I only have 35 days total for the Camino Frances so I'm hesitant to spend an entire day resting right at the beginning...

I'd love some opinions and pros/ cons for plan A vs B! :)

Thanks from a total newbie.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From what I've read on this forum, you'll need to book Orisson and if you haven't already done so, you may not be able to get a bed 6 weeks out, so this issue may make the decision for you. Orisson consists of one albergue, no town or shops, the scenery is great, but there is nothing else to do there. Given your flight and train arrival in SJPDP I would suggest leaving the next day, soaking up the atmosphere and relaxing into Camino mode. I arrived at 4pm, had dinner in SJPDP and left the next day, I wish I had more time to explore and soak it up. The weather may also make the decision for you.

I suggest staying two nights in SJPP. Walk toOrisson the first day and take the shuttle back down around 2 pm (6 euros). Shuttle back up to Orisson next morning and continue over the mountain to Roncesvalles. Contact Express Bourricot for shuttle.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I loved staying at Orisson, I met people there that I ended up walking the whole way with. There is not much to do there, but the atmosphere is great!
I did have some time in SJPP and I stayed there the first night. But I was way to excited to start my walk, so I wouldn't have minded just staying there for one or two hours and then starting my walk to Orisson.
If you arrive in SJPP and you feel like you are not ready to walk yet with your jetlag, you can always call and cancel your reservation and spend the night in SJPP.

I arrived late afternoon in SJPdP and only had a few hours there, but that was plenty of time. I walked to Orisson the next day. I met more people in Orisson than I did in Saint Jean; there were 40 people staying there, there was time to relax and talk to people, the communal meal introduced everyone, and they were on the same schedule as me.
I say stay at Orisson

I would recommend staying in Orisson. I met a lot of awesome people when I stayed there. It was also a good way to ease into the walking when dealing with jet lag. SJPP did look like a cool town, but I didn't feel the need to hangout there very long. I only got my Camino passport and a sandwich there and started walking up to Orisson.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
We met our closest new companions in Orrison. Stay in SJPP , then do the short walk to Orrison and enjoy the afternoon and evening in the Pyrenees It is a great way to begin the journey!!

Attachments

• 91692BDD-86DD-4674-BDDB-9B09A0540A03.jpeg
    91692BDD-86DD-4674-BDDB-9B09A0540A03.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for all your replies, it is helping to ease my anxiety about those first few intense travel days! Sounds like sticking to my original plan Might be my best bet :)

I arrived in SJPP in the early afternoon and overnighted there. The next morning, I left at 8 and arrived in Orisson by about 10:15. Looking back, I wish that I had spent the morning checking out SJPP as the albergue in Orisson would not check up in until about 2 pm. If you can make a reservation in Orisson, you would probably find that you could spend a couple of hours in SJPP and register at the Pilgrim Office before continuing on to Orisson.

Both ways could be cool. If you stay in SJPD, you might meet the most wonderful companion. If you stay at Orisson, you may experience the ultimate mountain sunrise.

My advice ... close your eyes, take a deep breath, listen to your innermost self and let your spirit move you.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be arriving in Paris (from Canada) on July 10th, taking an evening train to Bayonne, and then was planning to take the first train to SJPP the next morning on the 11th. I have a reservation at Orisson for the night of the 11th, but I'm just wondering if a few hours in the morning wandering SJPP will be enough or if i'll wish I'd stayed the night there instead. Would you recommend staying the night in Saint Jean and then doing the whole walk to Roncesvalles the next day, as opposed to my original plan of wandering SJPP for a few hours before walking to Orisson to stay the night? Either way I will arrive in Roncesvalles on the 12th, it's more just a matter of spending a whole day in St Jean, or a half day and breaking up the hike to Roncesvalles over two days.

I was planning to stay the night in Orisson just because I can't arrive in SJPP until morning, not because I'm worried about the walk. Staying in a small beautiful spot in the mountains sounds really nice, but I wonder if I'll be missing out on connecting with people in SJPP who are also starting out their hike, or missing out on exploring a super nice little town. From what I've read Orisson is very small and seems to be more of a stopping place for folks who feel they need to break the journey up.

Keep in mind i'll probably be very jetlagged and tired after an overnight flight from Vancouver, a long train ride, and a late arrival/early departure from Bayonne. I am in decent shape and I'm used to steep hikes. Jetlag is real but I only have 35 days total for the Camino Frances so I'm hesitant to spend an entire day resting right at the beginning...

I'd love some opinions and pros/ cons for plan A vs B! :)

Thanks from a total newbie.
In 2017 I made the first 5 kms from SJPP until Hunto after arriving mid afternoon at SJPP and getting my credentials.
First 2 kms are ok but the last 3 are very steep. Orisson is 2 kms after Hunto and is always climbing.
For me it helped a bit staying at Hunto for the night because I was not very trained to do SJPP Roncesvales in one leg. Have a nice Camino.

The suggestion that you could always cancel your reservation at Orrison isn't a good one. From memory you pay in advance and would be kissing your money goodbye!
Even if you didn't pay in advance it isn't fair on any business to cancel the night before and cost the business money in lost trade as they might not be able to fill the place they've reserved for you.
Having said all that, my advice would be to prioritize on Orrison rather than SJPdP. A couple of hours round SJPdP is enough for most people.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back