• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Podcast Spirit of the Camino podcast

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
I am excited to announce that @Wendy Werneth and I have started a camino podcast! It's called Spirit of the Camino and is part of the larger Spirit of the Camino web platform.

The first two episodes are already live - an introductory episode, where Wendy and I talk about our pilgrim backgrounds and the spirit of the camino, and the first episode of season one about our just-completed Camino Portugués, in which we talk about walking during the pandemic. We will release a new episode every two weeks until the end of the season, including one with a special guest from this forum!

The podcast page on our website has direct links to subscribe or listen to the podcast, or just search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts. Thank you, I hope you enjoy it, and buen camino!

Last edited:

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
A new episode is available!

Our third episode, and the second in our first season about the Portuguese Way, has just been published. The episode is called Walking in Portugal and we talk about how walking a camino in Portugal is different from walking in Spain. In particular, we discuss:
  • Several aspects of Portuguese identity
  • Cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia
  • Practical aspects of walking in Portugal (including cobblestones!)
To listen to the episode, visit our website or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese coastal (2021)
Hi Nick and Wendy!
Just listened to your podcast on Portugal. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; i think with the two of you together your interaction gives it a good vibe the 37 mins whizzed by!!
It was interesting and informative factually; as well as all the anecdotal stuff made it real.
I will listen again.
Woody.

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Hi Nick and Wendy!
Just listened to your podcast on Portugal. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; i think with the two of you together your interaction gives it a good vibe the 37 mins whizzed by!!
It was interesting and informative factually; as well as all the anecdotal stuff made it real.
I will listen again.
Woody.
Thank you! Those are such kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Our latest episode about the CP has just been published! The episode is called ‘Is it Worth Starting in Lisbon?’ To answer this question, we discuss the following:
  • How walking from Lisbon can deepen your understanding of Portuguese history and culture
  • The trail itself on the Lisbon to Porto stretch, including road walking and industrialisation
  • Three milestone destinations (Santarém, Tomar and Coimbra)
  • Three special albergues where the spirit of the camino shines brightly
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

Last edited:

Pelegrin

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo June 2013
SJPP - Logroño June 2014
Ingles July2016
A new episode is available!

Our third episode, and the second in our first season about the Portuguese Way, has just been published. The episode is called Walking in Portugal and we talk about how walking a camino in Portugal is different from walking in Spain. In particular, we discuss:
  • Several aspects of Portuguese identity
  • Cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia
  • Practical aspects of walking in Portugal (including cobblestones!)
To listen to the episode, visit our website or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!
In the part of cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia I'd add that we formed part of the same nation for more than 300 years in Gallaecia with capital in Braga.
The current differences are from 19th century like road signalling, coblestones, bar and restaurants style, etc. Before that date the rural was basically identical in both sides.Also the language was almost the same. Now the language, and the accent, is a bit different because the Lisbon and the Spanish influence in the education, TV, etc.
Nevertheless, there is not a feeling in both sides of being the same people and so that we need to reunite. We feel ourselves now very close but not exactly the same people.

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
In the part of cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia I'd add that we formed part of the same nation for more than 300 years in Gallaecia with capital in Braga.
The current differences are from 19th century like road signalling, coblestones, bar and restaurants style, etc. Before that date the rural was basically identical in both sides.Also the language was almost the same. Now the language, and the accent, is a bit different because the Lisbon and the Spanish influence in the education, TV, etc.
Nevertheless, there is not a feeling in both sides of being the same people and so that we need to reunite. We feel ourselves now very close but not exactly the same people.

Thank you for your great insight as always!

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Hi Guys!
Again another good listen i enjoyed this one has lots of info. Surprised at so few comments from forum?
Woody
Thanks Woody! Hopefully more feedback will come as word gets out.

Meanwhile, I see from your profile that you're hoping to walk the Portuguese coastal next year? Our next episode is a discussion about the coastal vs central routes so hopefully you'll enjoy that!

jungleboy

Camino(s) past & future
Francés 2017
Primitivo 2018
Madrid 2019
Kumano Kodo 2019
Português 2020
Our latest episode about the Camino Portugués has just been published! The episode is called Central or Coastal? To answer this question, @Wendy Werneth and I are joined by special guest @Elle Bieling who has written guidebooks on both routes, available on her website.

Highlights of the episode are:
  • Elle’s pilgrim history and what the spirit of the camino means to her.
  • Discussion of the central route, including the key cities, the monastery at Vairão and Elle’s experience of walking with a pilgrim in a wheelchair.
  • Discussion of the coastal route, including the main natural and historic attractions and whether it feels like a camino.
  • Elle’s choice as to which was her favourite route.
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 57 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 202 15.2%
  • May