• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spirit of the Camino podcast

jungleboy

Spirit of the Camino (Nick)
Time of past OR future Camino
Some in the past; more in the future!
I am excited to announce that @Wendy Werneth and I have started a camino podcast! It's called Spirit of the Camino and is part of the larger Spirit of the Camino web platform.

The first two episodes are already live - an introductory episode, where Wendy and I talk about our pilgrim backgrounds and the spirit of the camino, and the first episode of season one about our just-completed Camino Portugués, in which we talk about walking during the pandemic. We will release a new episode every two weeks until the end of the season, including one with a special guest from this forum!

The podcast page on our website has direct links to subscribe or listen to the podcast, or just search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts. Thank you, I hope you enjoy it, and buen camino!

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A new episode is available!

Our third episode, and the second in our first season about the Portuguese Way, has just been published. The episode is called Walking in Portugal and we talk about how walking a camino in Portugal is different from walking in Spain. In particular, we discuss:
  • Several aspects of Portuguese identity
  • Cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia
  • Practical aspects of walking in Portugal (including cobblestones!)
To listen to the episode, visit our website or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

Hi Nick and Wendy!
Just listened to your podcast on Portugal. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; i think with the two of you together your interaction gives it a good vibe the 37 mins whizzed by!!
It was interesting and informative factually; as well as all the anecdotal stuff made it real.
I will listen again.
Woody.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Nick and Wendy!
Just listened to your podcast on Portugal. I enjoyed it and learned a lot; i think with the two of you together your interaction gives it a good vibe the 37 mins whizzed by!!
It was interesting and informative factually; as well as all the anecdotal stuff made it real.
I will listen again.
Woody.
Thank you! Those are such kind words and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Our latest episode about the CP has just been published! The episode is called ‘Is it Worth Starting in Lisbon?’ To answer this question, we discuss the following:
  • How walking from Lisbon can deepen your understanding of Portuguese history and culture
  • The trail itself on the Lisbon to Porto stretch, including road walking and industrialisation
  • Three milestone destinations (Santarém, Tomar and Coimbra)
  • Three special albergues where the spirit of the camino shines brightly
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

Last edited:
A new episode is available!

Our third episode, and the second in our first season about the Portuguese Way, has just been published. The episode is called Walking in Portugal and we talk about how walking a camino in Portugal is different from walking in Spain. In particular, we discuss:
  • Several aspects of Portuguese identity
  • Cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia
  • Practical aspects of walking in Portugal (including cobblestones!)
To listen to the episode, visit our website or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!
In the part of cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia I'd add that we formed part of the same nation for more than 300 years in Gallaecia with capital in Braga.
The current differences are from 19th century like road signalling, coblestones, bar and restaurants style, etc. Before that date the rural was basically identical in both sides.Also the language was almost the same. Now the language, and the accent, is a bit different because the Lisbon and the Spanish influence in the education, TV, etc.
Nevertheless, there is not a feeling in both sides of being the same people and so that we need to reunite. We feel ourselves now very close but not exactly the same people.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In the part of cultural similarities between northern Portugal and Galicia I'd add that we formed part of the same nation for more than 300 years in Gallaecia with capital in Braga.
The current differences are from 19th century like road signalling, coblestones, bar and restaurants style, etc. Before that date the rural was basically identical in both sides.Also the language was almost the same. Now the language, and the accent, is a bit different because the Lisbon and the Spanish influence in the education, TV, etc.
Nevertheless, there is not a feeling in both sides of being the same people and so that we need to reunite. We feel ourselves now very close but not exactly the same people.

Thank you for your great insight as always!

Hi Guys!
Again another good listen i enjoyed this one has lots of info. Surprised at so few comments from forum?
Woody

Hi Guys!
Again another good listen i enjoyed this one has lots of info. Surprised at so few comments from forum?
Woody
Thanks Woody! Hopefully more feedback will come as word gets out.

Meanwhile, I see from your profile that you're hoping to walk the Portuguese coastal next year? Our next episode is a discussion about the coastal vs central routes so hopefully you'll enjoy that!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Our latest episode about the Camino Portugués has just been published! The episode is called Central or Coastal? To answer this question, @Wendy Werneth and I are joined by special guest @Elle Bieling who has written guidebooks on both routes, available on her website.

Highlights of the episode are:
  • Elle’s pilgrim history and what the spirit of the camino means to her.
  • Discussion of the central route, including the key cities, the monastery at Vairão and Elle’s experience of walking with a pilgrim in a wheelchair.
  • Discussion of the coastal route, including the main natural and historic attractions and whether it feels like a camino.
  • Elle’s choice as to which was her favourite route.
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! Enjoy!

The latest episode is live! The episode is all about the Variante Espiritual, the increasingly popular variant at the end of the Camino Portugués.

In the episode, we talk about the monasteries at Poio and Armenteira, the seaside town of Combarro, the Stone and Water Route and the Translatio boat trip.

Hi Nick and Wendy!
Another good listen enjoyed it again; lots of useful info.
The last two episodes have been really relevant to me as i am doing the Coastal and Espiritual as long as my old body holds up! ha!ha!

One positive for me was the fact that you can split the cost of the boat if numbers are not sufficient; i would pay the cost of the boat myself if i have to.
I have been looking forward for months already and i don't get there till the beginning of October next year. (just shows how much excitement i get in my life)
I don't want to go home without doing it and who knows might be a one and only opportunity.

Secondly and this might be a hard one for you to answer.
Regarding the route of water and stone.
When you say it's dark under the canopy of trees,i know you were taking photographs at the time.
But how dark on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being dark and 10 bright sunlight) i think i could manage if it's for example the same as a pretty dark dull rainy day.

I am second guessing here as my eyesight will be worse by next year (unstoppable, untreatable, degenerative condition) that's why for me this bl**dy virus is a pain in the bum!!!
Mind you as long as i am still breathing next year ;i will still have a crack at it whatever happens!!
All the best
Woody

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks Woody, we love your spirit and appreciate your support!

Secondly and this might be a hard one for you to answer.
Regarding the route of water and stone.
When you say it's dark under the canopy of trees,i know you were taking photographs at the time.
But how dark on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being dark and 10 bright sunlight) i think i could manage if it's for example the same as a pretty dark dull rainy day.
Yes, this is a bit hard to answer, but if you are in the forest shortly after sunrise, it will be darker than a pretty dark dull rainy day. Guessing here, but maybe a 3 on your scale? Obviously if you start a bit later (say an hour after sunrise), it will be much lighter and you should be OK. The problem, as you heard us say in the episode, is that sunrise at that time of year is around 8:30am. We walked this day on Sep 30. If you walk in Oct before daylight savings ends, sunrise will be even a few minutes later. It's a pretty long day to Vilanova de Arousa, so it's not ideal to get a late start, but better safe than sorry.

I mentioned in the episode taking the same photo twice - once in better light the afternoon before and once shortly after sunrise (8:38am according to the timestamp). Here they are for comparison:

50426700706_c1ddb3e10f_c.jpg

P1340717.JPG

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks Nick!
Yes it does, at the moment i am still able to distinguish features on the dark photo i hope that's the case on the day.
I am more hopeful now, that if i go very slowly in this light i should be OK fingers crossed until the light improves.
Just have to make sure my long cane skills are tip top;so that people think i'm Zoro!!!!!
All the best
Woody

Episode 1.6 of the podcast, Camino Languages, is now live! This episode is about languages on the CP, specifically Portuguese and Galego (the Galician language).

Highlights of the episode are:
  • Wendy, a polyglot and former UN translator, describes her background in Portuguese and her intensive daily language learning routine (including Galego and a surprise language!).
  • Discussion of English levels in Portugal, and the language not to speak in Portugal.
  • Our experiences with Portuguese in Lisbon and on the camino, and how these differed, including Nick’s theory of ‘Four Levels of Response’ to us speaking Portuguese.
  • Our experiences with Galego in Galicia and a general linguistic and political discussion about the language.
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts! We’re especially looking forward to @Pelegrin’s insights about Galego!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Episode 1.7 of the podcast, Portuguese Way Top Tips, is now live! This is the final episode of the first season so we wrap up the CP. Highlights include:
  • Discussion of the accessibility of the CP and some reasons why it is a great choice for a camino.
  • Discussion of a few things that we couldn't fit into earlier episodes including, sadly, the attack on two female pilgrims on the first day of their camino.
  • Wendy and I both give our top three tips for the CP.
To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts!

P.S. In case we are unable to do a spring camino this year (or perhaps even if we are), we have a backup plan for season two!

Hi Nick and Wendy!
Just listened to 6 and 7 both very informative podcasts.(missed 6's arrival somehow)
Learned a lot and will try Utalk for some basic Portuguese!(my old brain now gets easily confused i already have a moderate amount of Spanish; in my head the two will combine into Espanguese which no-one will understand!!!)
I look forward to the next series.
Regarding the Camino i am not sure whether mine will happen yet. I've got 240 days before i have to cancel anything however if things have not changed for the better in that time frame c'est la vie.
At this time stay well both of you.
Thanks for all you hard work so far.
Woody

Thank you for your continued support woody! I would really like to think that your camino is far enough away that it won't be in jeopardy but of course no one really knows.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first episode of Season 2 of our podcast - 'More Portuguese Ways' - is now live!

In this episode, we introduce the Caminho Nascente and as we prepare to start our camino, we discuss the things we're looking forward to.

To listen to the episode, visit our website or search for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts!

The second episode of Season 2 of our podcast - 'More Portuguese Ways' - is now live!

In this episode, we discuss walking in the Algarve, a famous region of Portugal usually more popular with beach tourists than pilgrims. In particular, we talk about Tavira, walking east along the Atlantic coast and then heading north and following the Guadiana River.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Our latest episode is called Special Places and it's about accommodation on the Caminho Nascente. In particular, we talk about:

• Five pilgrim albergues of various kinds, from a backyard annex to the former priest's house.
  • Three 'splurge' options, including a castle-hotel, a convent-hotel and a wonderful place with stunning views of the Alentejo (pictured below).
Click here to listen or subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts!

podcast2.6a copy.png

Our latest episode is about the Beiras, the last region of the Caminho Nascente after the Algarve and the Alentejo. In particular, we talk about:

• The spectacular Portas de Rodão crossing of the Tejo river to enter the Beiras (pictured below).
  • The various mountain stages of the Beiras.
  • Cherries!
  • Historical villages.

podcast2.7 copy.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Episode 2.9 has just gone live! This episode is about the eight days that we spent on the Camino Torres as the 'link' camino between the Nascente and the Geira e dos Arrieros.

Things we touch on in the episode include the first mountain stage out of Trancoso, the vineyard stage out of Lamego, the Romanesque architecture to be found on the route and (unfortunately) a couple of things that we didn't enjoy as much: road walking and some waymarking issues.

It's all here in the highlights and lowlights of the Torres. Happy listening!

podcast2.9 copy.png

Our latest podcast episode is now live!

The episode is 2.10 - Caminho da Geira e dos Arrieros. In this episode, we talk about:
  • The natural and historic highlights of this camino.
  • Lightning, hail, rain and other joys of Galician weather!
  • The spirit of the camino in Codaseda.
  • Practical information such as wayfinding.
Click here to listen or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts!

podcast210 copy.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The second season of our podcast is now complete! Episode 2.11 - Camino Finisterre - is now available.

Highlights of the episode include:
  • Adjusting to walking with other pilgrims again after our solitary journey on the Nascente/Torres/Geira.
  • Arriving in Finisterre and how that felt (Wendy especially has some interesting thoughts on this!).
  • Reflecting on our camino as a whole after walking from coast-to-coast from the south of Portugal.
Click here to listen or subscribe to Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts!

podcast2.11asmall.png

The third season of our podcast is now live! The first episode, released today, is about the Rota Vicentina. The remaining episodes of this season will cover the caminos we just walked: the CPI, Sanabrés, Salvador and the last part of the Portugués.

You can listen by clicking on the link below or by searching for Spirit of the Camino wherever you listen to podcasts. Happy listening!

podcast3.1.png

Our latest episode is now live!

We recorded the episode in Viseu, giving our impression of the city and talking about our expectations for the Caminho Português Interior. It's the first of three episodes about the CPI.

podcastSE03EP02.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

In this episode, we check in from the Caminho Português Interior and talk about the first half of this little-known camino route. In particular, we discuss the practicalities of the camino and the highlights of the trail, including yellow broom flowers, stepping stone bridges and the Douro Valley.

podcast3.3.jpg

Our latest episode has just been published!

In this episode, we talk about the highlights of the second half of the Portuguese Interior and then wrap it up by comparing the CPI with some other caminos (as requested by @peregrina2000 and @VNwalking).

podcast3.4.jpg

In this episode, we talk about the highlights of the Verín alternative of the Camino Sanabrés, including one of the most fascinating experiences we’ve ever had on the camino!

podcast3.5.JPG

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Another episode of our podcast is here!

In this action-packed episode, we talk about Ourense, catching Covid on camino, Cea and its famous bread, the Oseira monastery, the last 100km of the Sanabrés in general, arriving in Santiago, and we finish with a discussion about the Pórtico de la Gloria and the Pórtico del Paraíso!

podcast3.6.jpg

I missed the last two (on the Salvador and the Portuguese Central from Tui) but we're now up to Episode 3.9.

In this episode Wendy interviews me about the Portuguese Coastal Route. I describe my little solo camino and I attempt to answer the two big questions: Does it feel like a camino? And do I recommend the coastal or central?

podcast3.9_b.png

And the fourth season of our podcast is live!

In the first of three episodes about our recent pilgrimage to Fátima, Wendy and I introduce the Caminho do Mar and discuss the differences between walking to Fátima and walking to Santiago, and much more.

podcastse04ep01.png

The second episode of the fourth season of our podcast is now live!

In this episode we recap our pilgrimage on the Caminho do Mar, divided into four parts: highlights, lowlights, practicalities and discussion points.

The two discussion points are:

- Is the Caminho do Mar a viable alternative to the first part (Lisbon-Tomar) of the CP?
- What's the future of this camino?

PodcastSE04EP02.png

Episode 4.4 has just dropped!

In this episode Wendy and I recap the Camino Inglés that we walked last week, discussing highlights, practicalities and where it fits in the last 100km discussion.

SE04EP04.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.