• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual and Practical Guides to Making a Pilgrimage

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Terry was at Buckfast Abbey last week and bought me a copy of 'Making a Pilgrimage' by Sally Welch. This little book has some practical advice, history of pilgrimage, and also some thoughtful reflections to work through to help with preparation. You can pick the sections which are most relevent to your own situation and needs. There are also instructions, at the end, for drawing a simple Labrynth supplementing a chapter on Chartres.
A wonderful gift and just what I need to work through before my Camino. It is also light enough to carry on the Camino if you want to - 120gms - 11cmsx18cms.
You can buy it on Amazon 'Making a Pilgrimage' too. Paperback, not in Kindle format yet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It is 4 years since Terry bought me this little book. As part of our preparation for this year I am re-reading it. There is much to help a pilgrim, however many times one has walked already. Hopefully others may find it helpful too.

Thank you Tia Valeria. I found a preview of the book's content's at: http://books.google.ca/books/about/Making_a_Pilgrimage.html?id=61tNmGJzMLMC&redir_esc=y

Many people walk the camino bearing a heavy load, (and I don't mean their pack), and expect The Way to help them gain insight into their burden. I think the mental preparation for many a journey is too often overlooked. Walking hundreds of KMs is not easy, physically or mentally. This little book looks like it could help many with their mental preparation, regardless of their belief in a deity.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Terry was at Buckfast Abbey last week and bought me a copy of 'Making a Pilgrimage' by Sally Welch. This little book has some practical advice, history of pilgrimage, and also some thoughtful reflections to work through to help with preparation. You can pick the sections which are most relevent to your own situation and needs. There are also instructions, at the end, for drawing a simple Labrynth supplementing a chapter on Chartres.
A wonderful gift and just what I need to work through before my Camino. It is also light enough to carry on the Camino if you want to - 120gms - 11cmsx18cms.
You can buy it on Amazon 'Making a Pilgrimage' too. Paperback, not in Kindle format yet.
Hi, Valerie. It's been three years and I'm still reading your posts. Three years ago tonight Carol and I were in Viana - a month or so before we met you guys. Wish I were there again right now!

Hi, Valerie. It's been three years and I'm still reading your posts. Three years ago tonight Carol and I were in Viana - a month or so before we met you guys. Wish I were there again right now!
We often think of you both. We are well into preparations for a return to Santiago for what we feel will be our last Camino. Not that we intend to stop walking or visiting places on the Camino but we hope to see places also that need more time and our own transport.

A happy and blessed Easter to you both with memories of the time we all spent on the Camino.

Last edited:
It is 4 years since Terry bought me this little book. As part of our preparation for this year I am re-reading it. There is much to help a pilgrim, however many times one has walked already. Hopefully others may find it helpful too.

As a gift to a Pilgrim or Pilgrim to be who does journaling, you may find my book, "Journal Your Camino," by David Jennings of interest. It has 50 pages for journaling, 25 photos from the Caminos, quotes and a bit of text from me (points to ponder along The Way). It is available from Amazon US/UK/EU

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.