• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual preparation for a newbie

Daxzentzu

Time of past OR future Camino
FRANCES (2018) in planning
I am building myself up to walk to the resting place of St James in 2014.

I know that for me, this is a deep calling and I wish to ensure that I do all I can to be appropriately prepared for the pilgrimage - the walking will be arduous and I know there will be privations. - They do not concern me.

What concerns me is that I fully embrace my responsibility to ensure that I am prepared, so that I am "right" in my thoughts, that I can scrutinise my motives and that I can "articulate" my reasons to make this spiritual journey as the most natural and appropriate for me.

I'd welcome advice, instruction and insights from the Camino family.

Dax

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An honest post Dax, but a tricky one to answer. Each spiritual journey is an individual thing ....

for those on a spiritual journey (we all are, but many don't realise! :wink: ) the outer difficulties of the Camino are an integral part of the inner journey

if you are Christian then I would suggest reading "The Imitation of Christ" Thomas A Kempis.

If you cannot get a copy please do pm me with your address and I will send you one.

Buen Camino.

Daxzentzu said:

What concerns me is that I fully embrace my responsibility to ensure that I am prepared, so that I am "right" in my thoughts, that I can scrutinise my motives and that I can "articulate" my reasons to make this spiritual journey as the most natural and appropriate for me.
Dax

My very subjective suggestion would be to first empty your "inner backpack" ;-) I don't think there is a right or wrong way to walk the Camino, there is only your own way doing this pilgrimage. Keep your mind open, let go of your prejudices and expectations and simply accept graciously what your own pilgrimage offers you would be my advice. Buen Camino, SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dax, if you are looking for an honest story about the beginning of another mans spiritual journey, you might like The Seven Story Mountain by Thomas Merton. He was a regular man searching for his way who became a monk and one of our great modern theologians, and a pioneer in Centering Prayer, reviving an ancient Christian form of meditation.Its very easy to read, interesting and inspiring-one of my favourites.

Hi! I read the journals of a russian pilgrim and it was so great and inspiring!
It is about a russian pilgrim from 1800.

Also there are podcasts for the camino

http://www.rezandovoy.org/camino-santiago/oraciones

I think you can find this in english as well. Very good to listen on the way!

The Link in english is:

http://www.pray-as-you-go.org/

Dont know if they have Prays for the camino too, but they have daily Prays.

Hope this is useful to you!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A practice that I have found helpful is Ignatius of Loyola's "Consciousness examen" which is a simple exercise of reviewing one's day, often in the evening before bed.

There are many variations, but the general idea is:

Recall that you are in the presence of God. Remember your day in a spirit of gratitude.
Review your day, asking yourself: When did I fail? When did I love? Examine the positive and negative and set an intention in your heart to move intentionally toward the good the next day.

Here is a PDF of a brochure with more detail: http://www.rcdom.org.uk/documents/EXAMEN.pdf

While this is a originally a Catholic practice, I find it can suit many different types of spirituality.

Tia,

Thank you so much for the link to "forty days" - I completed my first pilgrimage earlier this year and I find the readings and psalmody are very powerful and meaningful as I reflect on my journey.

Many thanks

K

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St Ignatius of Loyola is very good, as is the Daily Rule of St Benedict. Personally, I find in spiritual examination and growth, simpler is better. There are two short prayers perfect for a Retreat or the Camino. At night, before you go to bed, pray" God, show me the truth about myself"; and in the morning: "Father, open me up, heart, soul and mind, to learn what the Camino(retreat) has to show me today."As you go through the day, note as you see kindness, or feel yourself wanting to turn away from someone, or any insights or long lost memories that you have. There is no judgement here, just self knowledge. Then, before you say your evening prayer, review your list and how you feel about the things you noted there. Pray that God shows you the truth about yourself ,and He will help you see what those experiences mean to your life. Its a simple cycle of prayer that makes a day to day connection throughout your Camino. If you find something you don't understand, ask God to help you see what is being shown to you just before your evening prayer. Be patient, trust that you will understand, and love yourself and others.

Buen Camino!!

My own reaction to your question, from a personal perspective of mindfulness, is to question your framing of the question. :) As structured, your question implies that you need to somehow "earn" your way into a better version of yourself. I.e. the Camino and other spiritual preparation is a giant self-improvement project.

I would suggest that a better framework would be to drop the idea that you need to "do" anything at all. You don't need to "fix" anything because there is already nothing wrong with you. I would invite you to consider an alternative question of "what would it mean for your Camino, and your life, if you already have everything you will ever need?" In that light, the Camino can become an environment in which you can simply rest in each present moment, knowing that you need not do anything further.

The glib way of making this point is to consider the directive to "Don't just do something; sit there!"

As another way of explaining this, the Christian cultural/spiritual framework in which I was raised tends to be based on the idea that humans are flawed to begin with, and salvation or happiness are found via various paths requiring hard work, preparation, acts of devotion/sacrifice, or other "actions of merit" in which the flawed original state is gradually improved. I.e. one "earns" one's way via specific actions toward an enlightened state. I recognize this as a vast oversimplification; I intend for it to be only directionally correct and only for the purpose of making a more specific point in this specific context.

Alternatively, a Buddhist perspective to which I have migrated is grounded in the idea that humans are perfect spiritual beings to begin with, but that our human experience tends to cloud our ability to rest in that reality. In particular, we tend to allow our minds to develop "attachments" to specific conditions, ideas, actions, people or things external to ourselves, and then tie our salvation or happiness to a certain set of such external conditions / ideas / actions / people / things. True enlightenment, from this perspective, is found only when we let go of all of these attachments and realize that we are already perfect. We just need to get out of our own way. Then we are able to exist as our true selves, which turn out to be spiritual beings whose sole purpose is to provide lovingkiness and compassion to all other beings.

Putting this back into a Christian context, I think one could frame the Camino as an opportunity not to do anything with your own spiritual path, but simply to travel as a shining light of love and compassion who meets every other peregrino where they are, providing them with whatever they might need in that moment.

I.e. what would change about your Camino if you were already an angel?

As Buddhism is (from a Western perspective) not really a religion but more of a psychology or philosophy, it can be compatible with other faith traditions, buthttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1401307787/?tag=casaivar02-20 by no means am I in any way suggesting you should not follow the path laid out by your own spiritual tradition. In fact, there is no need to even think of this as a Buddhist perspective if the label gets in the way. Mindfulness is a completely secular way of framing the same ideas (we sometimes say that mindfulness is just the dharma without the Buddha).

In that light, if this perspective is of further interest, my recommendation for an easy next step is the book "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn:
http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-You-Ther ... 1401307787

If this perspective is not of further interest, then similarly you should ignore it, as ultimately the path we are all on is to discover the framework that leads us to our own happiness, salvation or enlightenment.

Buen Camibo.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes, ZenP, I really do wish for a 'Like' button on this forum.

Exactly.

and I agree about your suggestion of a way to approach the Camino

"Strive for personal happiness
Result - misery
Strive for happiness for others
Result - happiness"

Gautama

Thank you for your post ZenPeregrino.
what would it mean for your Camino, and your life, if you already have everything you will ever need?
Indeed. How powerful it would be to walk with the knowledge that we have it all, right here, right now. Every step would be made with gratitude.

I can also highly recommend any of Kabat-Zinn's books but especially that which ZenPeregrino mentioned. It is a wonderful introduction to mindfulness training and offers simple exercises to get started.

Kabat-Zinn is the founder and former Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. His course was originally developed to treat patients with stress and anxiety and later on depression but mindfullness practice has been proven to be beneficial to all. Mindfullness courses offered around the world today are based on the original class he developed in the early '80's. I feel that he has made a tremendous contribution to bringing buddhist meditation techniques to us Westerners.

And if you would like to branch out I can also suggest any books by Thich Nhat Han, a Buddhist monk who started Plum Village in France. A good place to start is Peace is Every Step:http://www.amazon.com/dp/0553351397/?tag=casaivar02-20.

I just packed my backpack with the latest book by the American Buddhist nun Pema Chodron, Living Beautifully: with Uncertainty and Change
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590309634/?tag=casaivar02-20. She is just wonderful and so down-to-earth in her interpretation of Tibetan Buddhism for Western readers.

Happy reading!

Thank you for the insights, all.

I welcome the suggestions and I appreciate the comments.

Dax

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I couldn't agree more with the approach suggested by ZenP and others. For those who are more comfortable with this line of thought in the Christian perspective,I suggest the very ancient practice of Centering Prayer. This was also especially popular during the middle ages and was revived by Thomas Merton and Fr Basil Pennington among others. It begins with settling, through a prayer, into silence with the idea that we are perfect as God made us. It is stated several times in the New Testament that faith can't be made perfect through works. Perfection comes through the Grace of God,which is given freely, to be accepted or rejected freely as God made us honouring freedom of choice. In Centering Prayer,the practioner chooses a personal signifigant word to focus on, much like a "Mantra", and then settles into wordless contemplation ,knowing that perfection and peace are found in the state of being.It is similar in this way to TM(transcendental meditation).Practioners of Centering Prayer typically practice twice a day, although there is no strict schedule.We find that the more often it is practised, the more often one wants to practice, as it brings a great sense of peace in the knowledge that God created us as perfect beings, and at our centre we remain perfect,and can refresh ourselves in that perfection through contemplation and meditation, leading us to experience the Presence of God. The state reached through Centering Prayer is very similar to mindfulness,aiming towards peace and enlightenment .Not all Christian churches believe we are corrupted by sin and can be saved throughgood works!!I am a High Anglican nun-we know we are all perfect as made by Gods Love,as practised by Christ

I am enjoying this tread quite a bit.

The one thing I would add is to combine your physical and spiritual training. Get used to prayer or meditation while walking.

What ever you decide is right for you make it part of your training. Your Camino has already started.

I remember the sermon at my very first pilgrims' mass. The priest said that "your Camino really starts when you get home." Very wise words but not exactly what I wanted to hear at the moment!!!

I find the easiest way to reconnect to my Camino is to take a long walk and practice the spiritual disciple that comes so easy to me on the Camino and I find so difficult to sustain on a day to day basis.

ZenPeregrino said:
Putting this back into a Christian context, I think one could frame the Camino as an opportunity not to do anything with your own spiritual path, but simply to travel as a shining light of love and compassion who meets every other peregrino where they are, providing them with whatever they might need in that moment.

Putting it into a Simpson's context. :wink:
Colin

Attachments

• Love.jpg
    Love.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 2,512
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This gives me strength.

I appreciate the practices suggested here and also add for consideration Raja Yoga as taught to me.

Dax

All of the suggestions so far are excellent.

What I found is that no amount of physical or spiritual training would truly prepare me for the Camino. It probably took me three weeks on the trail before I could fully trust and listen to the spirits. And then whole new worlds opened up.

Do whatever training and preparation you think necessary. And when you get to the Camino focus on trust, presence and openness. Listen for the spirits and see where they take you.

My guide is a poem by David Wagoner. Ostensibly it is a story about a tribal elder telling two children what to do if they become lost in the forest (as I and every other pilgrim has at some time become lost on the Camino):

Lost

Stand still. The trees ahead
and bushes beside you
Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here.
And you must treat it as a powerful stranger.
Must ask permission to know it and be known.
The forest breathes. Listen. It answers.
I have made this place around you.
If you leave it you may come back again.
Saying Here.
No two trees are the same to Raven.
No two branches are the same to Wren.
If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you.
You art surely lost. Stand still.
The forest knows
Where you are. You must let it find you.

Buen Camino

In addition to the other excellent suggestions and thoughts already posted here, I add this. The two books I found most helpful were: (1) "The Book of Awakening" by Mark Nemo (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1573245380/?tag=casaivar02-20), which presents daily readings for meditation and is available on Kindle and (2) "Celtic Prayers from Iona" by J. Phillip Newell (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0809104881/?tag=casaivar02-20). Plus, the practice of maintaining a daily journal as a form of spiritual diary; writing in it during the breaks as one walks is very helpful.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
It could be strange, but I took "Walking" from Henry David Thoreau to read while I was walking the Camiño, and I have to be honest with you all and this book it's amazing.

It's not so based on a theological question, but it helps you to go mentally prepared for the challenge that is to walk by yourself in such a long distance, and totally explains the difference between a normal walking, and a discovery walking.

And I really enjoyed every single piece of advice from other people that I've seen in here. One thing that calmed me down every day was my 10 to 15 minutes of meditation. Best meditation that I had until today was actually in the Portuguese Camiño, at the top of the Labruja mountain.

Best Regards
Diogo

I would like to thank you all sincerely for your insights. So much of it touched me quite deeply which took me off guard. Great thread and gives me much to ponder.......and read
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am thankful you asked this question as I have learned as well from all the answers.
The only part I will add is what I have been doing...just to give you other options.
- learning about past female pilgrim St. Beatrice for one
- yoga - listening to my body
-practicing calligraphy- writing Hebrew alphabet
- I have a "Camino poster" I made at my office to color when I feel I have made progress - preparing physically, spiritually and mentally.
Buen Camino!

Hi Dax,

Here are a couple of my favorite reads on the topic of pilgrimage:

Peace Pilgrim: Her Life and Work In Her Own Words
You can download a copy for free here: http://www.peacepilgrim.org/book/ebooks/PeacePilgrimBook.pdf

The Art of Pilgrimage, by Phil Cousineau
(Excellent for preparing oneself for pilgrimage)

Thank you nreyn12.

I will certainly look for these suggestions.

I am currently in Turkey on vacation with the family listening to Chaucer's Canterbury Tales Audiobook and reading Spanish Steps

I'm loving it!

Dax

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Daxzentzu said:
Chaucer's Canterbury Tales

Hard to imagine better spiritual preparation than this wonderful collection of pilgrims' stories ...

Tia Valeria said:
If you are also looking for a selection of Bible verses etc to help with your preparation then 'Forty Days' is very good. We took it on the Camino, minus the photos.
The pdf file can be found here http://gryjhnsn.tripod.com/santiago/fortydays.pdf.
This is exactly the Pilgrims Spiritual Type of guide that I have always looked for Valeria, however I realize that I would need it either in Spanish or Italian! I converse with God in those two languages, however hard I try to do it in English, it just doesn't work! I also have a problem" connecting with the Bible in English.
I guess that I should make it my project to do a complete translation! ( I searched on the web for a similar guide in Spanish or Italian, but got no luck. Anne

Hullo Dax, what a beautiful thread you have started. I walked in 2004 and when I think back to all of my preparations, physical, spiritual and otherwise, nothing really primed me as powerfully as the simple act of placing one foot in front of the other again and again. Somehow the very act of walking washed through me, rinsed my mind, (tumbled it at times). I carried two prayers/mantras and sang them over and over in rhythm with my steps. There were days when i didn't sing at all. The days, the Way - they took care of everything. All that was needed was to be present. To take solitude as a gift and to be grateful.
I think a wonderful pilgrimage awaits you.

Helen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you so much for these great insights

I wish to prepare myself mentally and spiritually so that i can try to be in each moment focussing on the experience of camino

Rather than looking at my feet and concentrating on my next step I wish to look up and experience everything, the sights, the sounds, the sky and the people.

It's a tough job but someone has to do it!

What a blessing it will be!

Dax

This, written soon after I completed my pilgrimage, reflects something of what I felt.

If the modern pilgrim follows
The itinerary and timing of his forbears
He will find that often in his daily march, he
Will arrive at a 'Capilla de Animas' or
A small wayside shrine at twelve noon.
No clocks or watches then,
Only the sun tells when it is midday
The hour of the Angelus.
"The angel of the Lord
"Brought tidings to Mary . . .
"And the Word was made flesh
"And dwelt among us."
The rhythm of the prayer fits well,
The rhythm of the pilgrim's feet upon the road.
But better still to pause;
Be still and remember,
That our incarnate Lord once walked
The roads of Galilee.
And still He walks with us
On this our daily pilgrimage through life.

May you know his presence on the Way

Blessings
Tio Tel

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you all for your wonderful advice ,I have just under a month ago, returned from the Camino a wonderful experience and I had begun to worry about losing that wonderful sense of peace and awareness of the present moment! I wanted to go straight back again!
Then reading your comments along with the useful books titles to read I can continue my Camino :D

David said:
Each spiritual journey is an individual thing ...for those on a spiritual journey (we all are, but many don't realise!) I would suggest reading "The Imitation of Christ" Thomas A Kempis.

i am new to this forum and was planning to start my Camino in 2014, but i realized after reading all your inspiring quotes that it has already started, years ago. Actually the book David mentioned (check quote above) was what changed my way of seeing, listening and living with others when i read it. it took me a while to accept it because i had to change my way of thinking and my perception of others.

thank you for all who posted different references, will surely use them, particularly the one Yallah posted on Ignatius of Loyola's "Consciousness examen", and sister simon's prayers...

i have one concern though, can we find Mass easily on the way?
would appreciate any advice, thanks
Pascale

Pascale,

There is a great shortage of priest in rural Spain
It is not possible to participate at Mass every evening. Your best chance is to ask the elderly ladies in the village or town if there is Mass. It is usually at 8.00 pm. Listen out for the church bells at about 7.45 pm. or 7.50.
If you cannot participate at Mass in a church you can still break bread and share with other pilgrims in the local restaurants and Jesus is present there too.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank u Lydia,
your post is actually very helpful, i am happy to know that despite the shortage of priests we can still hear church bells ;-) i guess there is a shortage of priests everywhere, not only in Spain!
Which makes me think, i have several friend priests wanting to walk the camino, maybe i'll join one of them :-D

One thing I would add is to definitely keep some sort of a journal, as just the act of going back and reading it will help you to retain what you learned. One thing I have done since in college is to choose a theme for my journals sometimes--this focuses my thoughts upon what I am trying to learn, and it allows me to add quotes and pictures to illustrate. I am currently 38 days away from my Camino, and have just started a new journal with the theme of "gift" as I have come to realize that my ability to take this Camino is a great and beautiful gift that I have been given. I will likely choose another theme for my Camino proper, but as I reach the home stretch of preparation, all I can think is how incredibly blessed I am to be given this opportunity!!!

There is a reason why my blog is named "perpetual peregrino"... I believe that all of us are on pilgrimage, whether we know it or not, so anything that you do to listen to God and/or move toward becoming your best self is a valid and important preparation.

Blessings,

Ruth

What a great thread. Thank you all for the inspirational words and information.

Tia, thank you for the "Forty Days", I have saved it to my desktop and will take it with me. How did you omit the pictures so it could be compressed down?

I depart for my Camino Sept 1, my 2013 wall calendar is "Paths of God". Full of beautiful pictures and scripture. The months of September and October are perfect for the Camino.

September: "Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And God of love and peace will be with you." 2 Corinthians 13:11

October: "Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him."
Psalm 34:8

I love how God reveals Himself and I can't wait to see what he has in store for me along the Way.

Buen Camino and God Bless everyone,
Angela

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola Angela. I think that I opened the file as 'text only' which automatically means it cannot load the jpg files. I use OpenOffice which can open pdf files, so if you cannot open it as text try opening with Open Office (or similar) and then 'save as' text.

If all else fails then I suggest trying to contact the author and ask for a text file.

Buen Camino

How our God does provide. My Camino begins in late September and just today I was wondering what my spiritual practice would be for the Way. As often as I have visited the Forum I have never seen this thread until today. I guess God was waiting for me to be ready before pointing me in the direction of the wisdom you all have brought my way.
Well, Dax, this is what I have decided to do as part of my preparation. I am composing my own prayer book culling the inspired words of Scripture, especially the Psalms. I am looking through prayer books, especially Jewish prayer books as those folk really know how to praise God. I am including the words to hymns as I love to sing and get so frustrated when I begin a hymn and end up la-de-da-ing most of it because I forgot the words. I know many have strong feelings about carrying electronics on the Camino but I am loading up my iPhone with Taize songs - sometimes I need a soundtrack to keep my thoughts from wandering.
And lastly, I am searching for Scriptures to commit to memory as I go along the Way.
This entire conversation has been such a blessing to me. I hope you will accept this benediction from me - I pray it over those whom I love.
Go in Peace.
Remember Whose Child you are.
Know you are loved.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you dmantony for sharing your faith on the forum.We are 4 Christians friends from South Africa who walked from SJdPP to Burgos in Sept 2012 and had a wonderfull time and lots of memories.Enjoy your walk,may you have lots of blessings from God on your Way - for not being scared to tell the world about your awesome God - a scripture i would love to give to you for your walk is: Ephesians 4:13 - may it be an inspiration to you - Buen Camino and God bless - Johann Pretorius

Thank you from me too dmantony. I would add Ephesians 4; v1 and 7 to koggas quote. It was written in the front of my confirmation Bible

Buen Camino

Thank you all sooo much for this thread. It has helped me today. In May it was 10 years since I was told I would be in a wheelchair within 2 years with a degenerative arthritis condition. I'm not so I "celebrated" the anniversary by walking each day - 2ks each day the first week. After that week I had 3 "visions" of walking the Camino and a feeling of tremendous energy being sent to me so I have been "training" everyday since and walked 16ks yesterday BUT yesterday I questioned "why", particularly when my back pain kicked in last night. I am 64 and just feel I am meant to do this. I live in Australia so it will be a big and expansive trip, but for some reason I think I am meant to do this. I just feel a bit lonely about it all at times so the forum is a great source of information and inspiration for me. I must remember trust and faith. Blessings to all of you. Sriyantra

Sriyantra - don't be discouraged ... 16kms in training is a great achievement. As you've got a long-standing condition you'd know your body pretty well - look after it and nurture it. Are you working with a physio as part of your training programme? If you're not - it's a really good idea to work with one. They will make safe recommendations for you and give you confidence.
Please don't feel lonely about it all - the miracle that is the Camino is with you in spirit and will happen for you in reality in the future. Make Trust and Faith your mantra while you train, and it's a great mantra when you're on the Camino too.
Best of luck with everything - Jenny (another proud Aussie!)

Hi Sriyantra, please don't feel discouraged or lonely about your Camino there's so much support here. My son has arthritis badly and he walked the Camino this year May/June he carried his injectable drugs with him and like every other pilgrim he suffered but took less analgesia as he has developed his own way to deal with pain. I think his advice would be to use knee supports,he had to buy some in Spain and use trekking poles of you can they were a blessing,as many will agree the downhill sections are the worst (not me!). I am so proud of him, his confidence has soared, he met and walked with an amazing Camino 'family' and even continued on to Finisterre and Muxia! I will be following in his footsteps in just 6 weeks time. If your mind tells you to do this you may always regret if you don't, work with your body, you know it better than anyone, but persuade it gently that the Camino will not go away and you want to walk it someday. Only you know when you are ready. I hope you have wonderful, blessed Camino one day.
Sarah

BUT yesterday I questioned "why", particularly when my back pain kicked in last night. I am 64 and just feel I am meant to do this. I live in Australia so it will be a big and expansive trip, but for some reason I think I am meant to do this. I just feel a bit lonely about it all at times so the forum is a great source of information and inspiration for me. I must remember trust and faith. Blessings to all of you. Sriyantra
Hi Sriyantra, It is so difficult when there are no answers to "why?" Walking the Camino for the first time is a leap of faith and it can be a lonely experience when you're preparing because family and friends often don't understand. How could they when we don't understand what is driving us? Trust in that "tremendous energy" that you saw being sent to you and know that you are not alone - you're part of the Camino community.

Give yourself over to the experience without expectation and the reasons and answers will come. Sometimes the answers relate to questions we didn't even know we had.

It's important for all of us to listen to the messages our body is giving us. This is even more so when you're starting with an injury so be kind to yourself.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
dmantony wrote:

. As often as I have visited the Forum I have never seen this thread until today

You are following one of most beautiful threads in this forum. Thanks dax for starting this thread.

[QUOTE. I know many have strong feelings about carrying electronics on the Camino QUOTE]

You do not have to feel guilty or feel it is a sacrilege to use electronics in this day and age, it is your own camino and therefore you should not follow the thread of those (increasingly a rare breed but still vociferous in this forum) who wants to make it an electronical-less Camino. Go forth and make it your own fulfilling journey, with or without electronics.

Joe

Last edited:
My own reaction to your question, from a personal perspective of mindfulness, is to question your framing of the question. :) As structured, your question implies that you need to somehow "earn" your way into a better version of yourself. I.e. the Camino and other spiritual preparation is a giant self-improvement project.

I would suggest that a better framework would be to drop the idea that you need to "do" anything at all. You don't need to "fix" anything because there is already nothing wrong with you. I would invite you to consider an alternative question of "what would it mean for your Camino, and your life, if you already have everything you will ever need?" In that light, the Camino can become an environment in which you can simply rest in each present moment, knowing that you need not do anything further.

The glib way of making this point is to consider the directive to "Don't just do something; sit there!"

As another way of explaining this, the Christian cultural/spiritual framework in which I was raised tends to be based on the idea that humans are flawed to begin with, and salvation or happiness are found via various paths requiring hard work, preparation, acts of devotion/sacrifice, or other "actions of merit" in which the flawed original state is gradually improved. I.e. one "earns" one's way via specific actions toward an enlightened state. I recognize this as a vast oversimplification; I intend for it to be only directionally correct and only for the purpose of making a more specific point in this specific context.

Alternatively, a Buddhist perspective to which I have migrated is grounded in the idea that humans are perfect spiritual beings to begin with, but that our human experience tends to cloud our ability to rest in that reality. In particular, we tend to allow our minds to develop "attachments" to specific conditions, ideas, actions, people or things external to ourselves, and then tie our salvation or happiness to a certain set of such external conditions / ideas / actions / people / things. True enlightenment, from this perspective, is found only when we let go of all of these attachments and realize that we are already perfect. We just need to get out of our own way. Then we are able to exist as our true selves, which turn out to be spiritual beings whose sole purpose is to provide lovingkiness and compassion to all other beings.

As Buddhism is (from a Western perspective) not really a religion but more of a psychology or philosophy, it can be compatible with other faith traditions, buthttp://www.amazon.com/dp/1401307787/?tag=casaivar02-20 by no means am I in any way suggesting you should not follow the path laid out by your own spiritual tradition. In fact, there is no need to even think of this as a Buddhist perspective if the label gets in the way. Mindfulness is a completely secular way of framing the same ideas (we sometimes say that mindfulness is just the dharma without the Buddha).

In that light, if this perspective is of further interest, my recommendation for an easy next step is the book "Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn:
http://www.amazon.com/Wherever-You-Ther ... 1401307787

If this perspective is not of further interest, then similarly you should ignore it, as ultimately the path we are all on is to discover the framework that leads us to our own happiness, salvation or enlightenment.

Buen Camibo.

I completely agree. My response: don't be concerned with preparation - you're already prepared or you wouldn't even consider going. You're being led to the Camino just as you are, from exactly where you are. I found the greatest gift of the Camino was to allow me to simply be - to exist in the moment with neither past nor future, experiencing life at a 4.5 km per hour. It would be great if you could prepare yourself for the impact to your life that having walked the Camino will produce. I don't think that's possible. You'll have to deal with it when the time comes, after you reach Finisterre or Muxia, whichever you choose as your end point. (And if there's one bit of advice I can give, it's to make sure that you spend another 4 days walking to the Atlantic after Santiago.)

Buen Camino,
DeMar
ThePilgrimWalker.blogspot.com

A practice that I have found helpful is Ignatius of Loyola's "Consciousness examen" which is a simple exercise of reviewing one's day, often in the evening before bed.

There are many variations, but the general idea is:

Recall that you are in the presence of God. Remember your day in a spirit of gratitude.
Review your day, asking yourself: When did I fail? When did I love? Examine the positive and negative and set an intention in your heart to move intentionally toward the good the next day.

Here is a PDF of a brochure with more detail: http://www.rcdom.org.uk/documents/EXAMEN.pdf

While this is a originally a Catholic practice, I find it can suit many different types of spirituality.
great work

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Dax, I am so glad you posted this message on the forum, because I too want to be able to savour and cherish every "moment" on the Camino. I have had the opportunity to take a few courses in University that would give me the tools needed to be aware of my surrounding for each passing moment. I have practiced mindfullness meditation for half a year now, and I will definatly be using it while im on the Camino. I find it highly valuable because you meditate as you go about your day, you dont have sit eyes closed, legs crossed... (your typical thoughts about meditating) Just like you Dax, I want to be able to feel and be aware of the earth below my feet with each step, I want to be aware, appreciate, and accept the physical landscapes. I want to expereince and accept every interaction without judgement. These are a few things I have learnt from practicing Mindfullness meditation, and I incorperate this into my life. It helps you cherish each passing moment in your life. I suggest you read up on this type of meditation and that way you can see if it will be a valuable tool on the Camino.

I have said it before in this forum. "It`s just a walk from A to B, and for me the preparation is to plan for a "clean" camino without the modern distractions like WIFI, telephone and mp3 players. I think that the tuffest part of the camino is beeing with yourself for a some 30 days and staying focused on that. Going to church every night was important for me and I always walk alone during the days and if I want to spend time with others for meals at night.

All the best, Roger

I walked the Camino to give thanks for all the blessings in my life, but in the end I received far more than I gave. Walk with an open heart, and you will be rewarded. While it for many it is meant to be a time for introspection, don't forget to be open to all around you. Many blessings come from those around you if you let them in. Just remember that nothing happens on the Camino without a reason. There are no "coincidences" or "accidents" on the Camino. Take some time at the end of each day and review the events that occurred, the people you met, and the choices you made -- you'll soon realize who is in control, who is your guide. If you walk the Camino with this attitude, reaching Santiago is an anti-climax. What I mean is, long after you complete the Camino and return to your normal life, what you remember are the people and places, not the swinging of the botafumiero or the bones of St James. As magnificent as the great cathedrals along the way are (the grandeur of the great gothic cathdral in Leon brought tears to my eyes), what you'll really remember are the Pilgrim's Masses in the small towns and villages, where you worship in a church that was built before the discovery of America and where many of the people in the pews around you are simply the latest in families dating back a thousand years who have been baptized, married, and will one day be remembered at a funeral in this church that their ancestors built.
Buen Camino y vaya con Dios,
Jim
Iglesia de Sta Maria - Rabanal.jpg

Attachments

• Iglesia de Sta Maria - Rabanal.jpg
    Iglesia de Sta Maria - Rabanal.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I am building myself up to walk to the resting place of St James in 2014.

I know that for me, this is a deep calling and I wish to ensure that I do all I can to be appropriately prepared for the pilgrimage - the walking will be arduous and I know there will be privations. - They do not concern me.

I'd welcome advice, instruction and insights from the Camino family.

Dax
Having already suggested the 'Forty Days' here is another very helpful little book. Called 'Making a Pilgrimage', by Sally Welch, it is available from CSJ (UK) - scroll half way down page - and probably from other bookshops too. Terry bought me 'Making a Pilgrimage' for Christmas and I found it very good preparation for our time on the Camino. It is time I used it again I think.

You do not have to be a CSJ member to order books or guides.
Buen Camino

Dax, you give your location as Northamptonshire and so I wonder if you are aware of the Peterborough Pilgrims, who have a web presence at www.pilgrims-to-santiago.com. Not long after I returned from my camino in spring of this year, I had the good fortune to attend a St James pilgrim event in one of the parish churches in Northampton town centre to celebrate his Saint's Day. I found the sermon given by Revd Ian Holdsworth truly inspiring and I think he could be someone you might like to introduce yourself to should you get the chance. He leads pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostella and has a great devotion to St James. He should also be able to provide you with a pilgrim credencial if you have need of one.

I

Hi

As the master's plan for me is revealed, my original question to all on this forum about the spiritual preparation for Camino has taken a new turn. I thank you - I received some very wise and relevant suggestions and I pick my way through them as a field of diamonds, gathering what I need as I go.

But now, I find myself here, now, alone (or so I thought) in Pune, Maharashtra , India - for 6 months - I feared that there are not many Christians in Pune - how wrong was I!

On my first day (May 3rd) the driver said to me and what will you be doing tomorrow - of course I said I will be at church - it's Sunday. The following day he took me to a small room in the basement of a private home and introduced to a group of Christians who meet in each other's homes for worship, bible study, and fellowship - that's everyday of the week. I am filled with energy and I am thankful for the blessings that I receive everyday.

Now, I am obsessed with gods plan for me and I will continue to do the work that I am given so that when I return to Europe at the end of October I will stay with my family for a short while and then soon after I will take the way of Saint James until I rest my tired body in Santiago Compostela.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In Pune the church family which is supporting me now use the Hindi word "Marg" to describe their family in Christ.

When after almost a month I asked what "Marg" meant - "it means the way" was the reply.

There was not a scintilla of surprise in my heart - of course that's what it means, of course it means the way - I knew that. I always did.

I am holding it all in! - just about....

Dax

How do people adjust to home after their return from the Camino?

We don't, we dream about the next one and check the forum to see who is doing what.

There is a post ( above) I am sorry but I am not equipped to provide the link- maybe someone can help me here.

The thread is asking about the adjustment back to the real world after camino.

And I think there is a trap here for the unwary - those that may think the walk is the way for enlightenment instead if the vehicle for achieving it - I had some help because ..

I was counselled about this very early in my preparation.
And warned that some people become obsessed on "doing a camino" or preparing for a camino - "hooked" even., that after coming back to the "real world" - they want to re-capture the feelings - that's why there are so many repeaters.

I explored what could happen to me
1. I discovered that my life was meaningless and that camino was the only true meaningful event in my life as a worm
2. Camino made feel good about myself and that I needed to get back there to re-find "sangria-la"
3. I also had to consider the damage to my family if I remained "hooked" on the drama of camino - it would seriously impair my relationships
4. I enjoy a new status, and the cachet of having done something so meaningful.
5. Its the first time in my life that I have been cool or edgy
6. I am a camino bore

So to ensure that I'd did not get the feelings so well expressed in this thread - I started to work on my spiritual preparation - my current state is:
1. My walk of 800 kilometres is nothing, it means nothing, it's worthless.
2. However, by spending every available waking nanosecond in the presence of my god, may save my soul - I am still a work in progress

Which means that I don't talk about it to anyone, no marks to give it away and no doubt that a reprise is out of the question.

Dax
In Pune, (a work in progress)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St Ignatius of Loyola is very good, as is the Daily Rule of St Benedict. Personally, I find in spiritual examination and growth, simpler is better. There are two short prayers perfect for a Retreat or the Camino. At night, before you go to bed, pray" God, show me the truth about myself"; and in the morning: "Father, open me up, heart, soul and mind, to learn what the Camino(retreat) has to show me today."As you go through the day, note as you see kindness, or feel yourself wanting to turn away from someone, or any insights or long lost memories that you have. There is no judgement here, just self knowledge. Then, before you say your evening prayer, review your list and how you feel about the things you noted there. Pray that God shows you the truth about yourself ,and He will help you see what those experiences mean to your life. Its a simple cycle of prayer that makes a day to day connection throughout your Camino. If you find something you don't understand, ask God to help you see what is being shown to you just before your evening prayer. Be patient, trust that you will understand, and love yourself and others.

Buen Camino!!
Thank you so much for posting this!!

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back