• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual Preparation

Jeff Stys

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (03, 04), VdlP (05, 06), Norte (07,08), Primativo (09), Frances (12)
Long time reader...first time poster.

Is anyone familiar with a Spiritual Guide with daily bible readings designed to be started a year before starting off on the Camino?

I remember seeing one on the internet sometime ago, but cannot located it now. Also, I'd be greatful for any suggestions others have for spirtual works for pre or post-Caminos.

For the past several years, I have taken a few weeks every year to walk the various Caminos. With some creative use of frequent flier miles and project management, I plan on taking 6 weeks to walk (slowly) from Somport to Finesterre in April 2012.

Thanks for the help and look forward to seeing lots of response.

Buen Camino,

Jeff

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Jeff,
I haven't seen a year long bible verse list but at this link is a 40 day plan. My husband and I are thinking/planning on the camino frances next year. Good luck on your search for the bible verses.
I have been reading everything I can, but kinda wish we were going this year instead. All the information is a little overwhelming and helpful at the same time.

Blessings, Jamie

gryjhnsn.tripod.com/santiago/fortydays.pdf

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Bible Society have a 40 day Bible readings audio and plan. It is a free download, they just ask for a donation to help others receive Bibles in their own language.

Bible Society - UK

Bible Reading Fellowship produces notes and readings, usually 3 months at a time. Also UK based.
Buen Camino

There is a Novena of Prayer on the Confraternity (UK) website here:-
http://www.csj.org.uk/StJamesNovena.pdf

It also contains some further reading possibilities for research.

Blessings
Tio Tel

Hello Jeff, Try this site:
www.archicompostela.org/.../Guiaespiritual/DescargaGuia.htm
You can download a 61 page Spiritual Guide. I bought the very same one at the Pilgrim's Office in Santiago. Well, by that time I'd finished my Camino. It would have been more useful if I could have bought it in Roncevalles - or downloaded it! It is however, in Spanish. There are some nice readings, information spiritually orientated and the last 30 or so pages contain prayers for the morning and the evening, which include a Psalm, a very short reading, a guided reflection and a final prayer. All very pertinent to our Camino. Anne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jeff,

First time poster as well.... :D What you found at some point is probably "A Closer Walk", a selection of bible readings for one year. It can be found on the same page as "Forty Days" mentioned above. I only just found it myself and have no feedback to give on the selection. In the Downloads section of the Peregrinos office's homepage there is a pastoral letter for the Holy Year 2010 in english issued by the Archsbishoperio of Santiago, as well as a spiritual guide, Guía Espiritual, in spanish from the Conferencia Episcopal Española, both in PDF. The latter link is a level up from the actual thing. Good luck!
Elisabet

http://gryjhnsn.tripod.com/santiago/id13.html
http://peregrinossantiago.es/eng/post-p ... descargas/

CSJ have a downloadable selection of readings by Gary T Johnson. Also called 'Forty Days' and described as 'A Devotional Companion for the Pilgrimage to Compostela'. It is excellent, we will be using the preliminary readings and then taking a copy with us next year.

Hi Jamie,
There is a Camino group in Seattle that does a short walk each month and an occasional potluck to share experiences and offer advice to those planning a first adventure.
If you are not aware of this group...please PM me and I will put you in contact with Martha and Becky who head up the group.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
In 2008 I was still in discernment for the diaconate in the Catholic Church. Sadly, or probably faithfully I found that one commitment I've had for the past twenty years put me at odds with the formation required. So, I have pushed ahead with many lay functions that partially fulfill my calling as it currently exists.

I add this because, at the time, my confessor Father Bob a Jesuit, suggested that I take a copy of St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises. Here is the link:

http://www.ccel.org/ccel/ignatius/exercises.html

Here is a solid explanation of the SE:

Ignatius of Loyola, St (1491-1556)
Description: Written by the founder of the Society of Jesus, the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius is a powerful book. Derived mostly from St. Ignatius' conversion experiences in 1521-3, Spiritual Exercises has provided guidance and encouragement to its readers for several hundred years. The aim of Spiritual Exercises is to assist people in finding God's will for their life, and to give them the motivation and courage to follow that will. It is not a continuous piece of writing, but more like a program of sorts, containing a collection of thoughts, rules, encouragements, readings, meditations, prayers, warnings, and notes. Nevertheless the condensed writing is organized into four "weeks," or periods of time, with each week focusing upon a different theme--the first, human sin; the second, Christ's life on earth; the third, Christ's death on the cross; the fourth, Christ's risen life. A key theme throughout the Spiritual Exercises is discernment--the need to discern between good desires and evil desires in one's life. It is by following the four weeks, and by utilizing such discernment, that a person can better realize God's will for his or her own life. Although more profitably worked through with another person or spiritual director, Spiritual Exercises can be extremely beneficial for private personal study.

Tim Perrine
CCEL Staff Writer

I found that by reading before I went on Camino, during and, then again, after. I found a new meaning to the SE formed at the time of my Camino and then later upon reflection.

It's downloadable and I now have it on my Kindle which I will take on the Camino Port in three weeks.

Buen "Walk the Way...that the Way moves you" Camino

Arn

grayland said:
Hi Jamie,
There is a Camino group in Seattle that does a short walk each month and an occasional potluck to share experiences and offer advice to those planning a first adventure.
If you are not aware of this group...please PM me and I will put you in contact with Martha and Becky who head up the group.

Hi Ed,
I do know about the Puget Sound chapter. I have the walking dates on my calendar, but I am more outgoing than the hubby so it will take some sweet talking to get him to go for a walk where he may need to share. ;-) We are starting our camino in SJPP at the end of June. I work for a school so can't get on a plane sooner. We are both so excited about the challenge (spiritual, mental & physical). He will be turning 60 in July, so this is a perfect way for him to celebrate.

Thanks for offering help. I am still looking at the forums everyday gleaning information. I must have the camino bug!
Jamie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back