• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual Variant, for free

kenwilltravel

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal (2018)
Portuguese Coastal, with Spiritual Variant (2019)
So, what’s so “spiritual” about the Spiritual Variant?
I’ve encountered this question a few times in various threads in this Forum. Basically, the issue comes down to: does this alternate route on the Portuguese Way live up to the marketing hype?
Spirituality is in the mind of the beholder so people give different responses.
I laid out my own feelings in a book I published last year entitled Sauntering the Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Santiago. For the next 5 days (ending Sunday, April 24), the e-book or Kindle version of this book is available for free download on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Y8JX5J/?tag=casaivar02-20
I invite those interested in the SV to take a look and let me know if you agree with my conclusions. And if you’re so inclined, please leave a review on Amazon, which is of immense help to self-published authors such as myself.
Enjoy!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve encountered this question a few times in various threads in this Forum. Basically, the issue comes down to: does this alternate route on the Portuguese Way live up to the marketing hype?
I laid out my own feelings in a book I published last year entitled Sauntering the Spiritual Variant of the Camino de Santiago. For the next 5 days (ending Sunday, April 24), the e-book or Kindle version of this book is available for free download on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095Y8JX5J/?tag=casaivar02-20
I invite those interested in the SV to take a look and let me know if you agree with my conclusions. And if you’re so inclined, please leave a review on Amazon, which is of immense help to self-published authors such as myself.
Enjoy!
@kenwilltravel, seems your book is not available to Aussies but good luck with it anyway!
👣 🌏

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ahh...success! That link most certainly did work Ken. Thanks for your efforts to make it available for us down south. 🇦🇺
I look forward to reading it soon.
Best wishes.
👣 🌏

Ahh...success! That link most certainly Idid work Ken. Thanks for your efforts to make it available for us down south. 🇦🇺
I look forward to reading it soon.
Best wishes.
👣 🌏
Great! I'm always glad to help Aussies since my wife and I really enjoyed our travels down there in 2019-20. And I really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
I might add, for all readers from outside the U.S., that probably the easiest way to download my book is to do the following:
1. Go to your national Amazon page
2. In the search line, select "Books" and then write "Cline Sauntering Spiritual Variant."
3. Click on the book when it shows up
4. When you arrive at the ordering page, make sure you're on the Kindle version page rather than paperback. You'll see that the price shown on the right is zero.
5. Just click on "Buy now with one click."
Hope that helps!

Thanks Ken!
Most generous of you i had no idea you were an author!
Will listen later;i really liked the spiritual very much!
Apart from; i am sad to say the way of water and stone for the first couple of km.
I had waited over two years to walk and that plus the boat ride was top of my list; couldn't see much at all as was to dark for my limited vision.
Jungleboy (Nick) had sent me some photos of morning on that stretch cos i had asked about the daylight and i thought i would be OK!
Ended up using my 400 lumen head torch and the camera on my phone.
Made it in the end with the help of some great Portuguese guys;mainly looking at my feet🤣
All the best
Woody

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Ken!
Most generous of you i had no idea you were an author!
Will listen later;i really liked the spiritual very much!
Apart from; i am sad to say the way of water and stone for the first couple of km.
I had waited over two years to walk and that plus the boat ride was top of my list; couldn't see much at all as was to dark for my limited vision.
Jungleboy (Nick) had sent me some photos of morning on that stretch cos i had asked about the daylight and i thought i would be OK!
Ended up using my 400 lumen head torch and the camera on my phone.
Made it in the end with the help of some great Portuguese guys;mainly looking at my feet🤣
All the best
Woody
Thanks, Woody. I do remember the way of stone and water being quite dark, like a rain forest. The canopy pretty much blocks out the sun. Glad you had help making it down the hill.

Thanks for your generosity. I just downloaded your book successfully and am looking forward to reading it. I plan on walking the Spiritual Variant in september.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Enjoy!
Thx Ken. I have started reading it. It may help me make up my mind about which variant I chose after Porto.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have finished reading the book, thank you very much for letting us download it!

Next time I’m doing Portugues will definitely include this. I have also asked Bahia Sub and dogs are allowed on the boat - although I have seen depending on how many people are going, it can be either the larger boat or a rubber dinghy!

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...
My father read a book about the Camino written by a Catholic Priest from a small town in Europe. The book was fairly detailed in capturing life of pilgrim. We have perused all pics of books on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.