• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual variant question

dweeds

Time of past OR future Camino
planning Portuguese Coastal Way (May 2018)
Hi, I am planning my first Camino in May. Will start in Caminha on the Coastal Route. I am just now looking into the Spiritual variant, and I only see one hostel in Armenteira. It looks uninviting...is there any other place to stay, besides the fancy Pousada? It seems those are the only 2 options. Also, I'm thinking that this is the same number of days passing through Caldas de Reis, if we take the AM ferry up the river to Padron and walk straight on to SdC, is that right? Huge thanks, all.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you! I heard you need to stay at least 2 nights...is that correct?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmm. I don't recall having to do that. Best thing to do is to email them and inquire. I found them incredibly friendly and welcoming.

Happy to help. If there is a two-day requirement, please add a comment to this thread – I'll need to update my files for them. Good luck with your planning.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've stayed at the albergue in Armenteria twice and i really quite like it - true, it doesn't really have 'character' but i love the walk from there into the bars (bit less than 1km) - quite rural and remote. And it's fresh and clean.

On my first walk through VE, I stayed a night at O'Costano, about 8km from Armenteira. Not much to do/see there and the accommodation is on a busy highway.

My second walk along the VE, after Armenteira, I was able to make it to Vilanova de Arousa in time to catch the boat to Pontecesures and from there walked to Herbon monastery, which was fab.

It's hard to predict how long the VE will take as the boat times seem to change hour to hour. Sometimes it's 6am or 7am, other times it's 2pm or 3pm and anywhere in between. Will have to stay flexible if you choose the VE. But i reckon it's totally worth it.

Last edited:
From Pontevedra you could walk in direction of the Variante Espiritual. After 3 kms direction Caldas de Reis you'll find a bridge to the left with a sign Variante Espiritual. by following the yellow waymarkers you'll end up in the village of Combarro . There we stayed the nigt in a room above a pub/bar nearby the harbour.
Next day there was the climb to Armenteiro. There after visiting the monastry we continued the fabulous "ruta de pedras e augas" a medieval path with sawmills and other medieval (ruins of) buildings " really a great walk. At the end of this path-about 6 to 7 kms. You can continue the waymarkers direction the village of Barrantes Just at the beginning of the village is a restaurant, os Castaños.the lady rents rooms and is very helpfull. From Barrantes it is 14 kms to Vila Nova de Arousa where the boat to Pontecessures is. The lady called to the organisation of the boat about thectimeschedule becquse it depends on the tides.
The boat went very early that day -we could not reach Vila Nova,a 14 kms walk - so she offered to take us there by car. By the way in Vila Nova is an albergue . The boatride in a kind of lifeboat is a fast and bumpy ride on the waves. Not very comfortable but spectacular Takes about one hour. Take warm cloths with you when going early in the season. Once arriving in Pontecessures it is an easy walk into Padrón where you'll find all facilities.
Do not forget to drink a glass or have breakfast at bar Dom Pepe II opposite the bridge that leads to the albergue. Ask for "bar Pepe". Everybody knows him and you will have a hilarious time at his place.

Passa bem e bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi, I am planning my first Camino in May. Will start in Caminha on the Coastal Route. I am just now looking into the Spiritual variant, and I only see one hostel in Armenteira. It looks uninviting...is there any other place to stay, besides the fancy Pousada? It seems those are the only 2 options. Also, I'm thinking that this is the same number of days passing through Caldas de Reis, if we take the AM ferry up the river to Padron and walk straight on to SdC, is that right? Huge thanks, all.
De variante spiritual is erg mooi en albergue Armenteira is prima. Je bent een pelgrim of een tourisme.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was told by the Sacramento Camino group that while normally it is a two day stay at the monestary, if you call ahead they would make arrangements for one night. But you MUST make a reservation.

Buen Camino

[QUOTE = "dweeds, post: 699132, lid: 85641"]
Hallo, ik ben mijn eerste Camino aan het plannen in mei. Zal starten in Caminha op de kustroute. Ik ben nu net aan het kijken naar de Spirituele variant en ik zie slechts één hostel in Armenteira. Het ziet er onaantrekkelijk uit ... is er een andere plek om te verblijven, naast de chique Pousada? Het lijkt erop dat dit de enige 2 opties zijn. Ik denk ook dat dit hetzelfde aantal dagen is dat door Caldas de Reis loopt, als we de AM-veerboot de rivier oversteken naar Padron en rechtdoor lopen naar SdC, klopt dat? Enorm bedankt allemaal.
[/CITAAT]
M Armenteira is positief de albergue is zoals een albergue moet zijn. Je bent een pelgrim! Mijn negatieve ervaring in Armenteira betrof een dronken stel "pelgrims"die zo bleek een spoor van onbetaalde rekeningen achterliet.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I found the municipal alburgue in Armenteria to be quite nice. Fairly new construction. Clean. The hospitaleras were most helpful (I had lost my wife). Plus, that's were your Camino Family for that day and the next is going to be staying. I've stayed in a lot of pretty marginal alburgues in my life. The alburgue in Armenteria is not in that class at all. I will stay there again the next time I walk the CP.

Pro tip: I wish that I has walked down the creek through (at least) the first section of the Stone and Water section (really, an old mill run with the ruins of hundreds of mills) the afternoon after arriving in Armenteria. The next morning it was too dark to really get any good photographs of that magical section, and waiting for the sun would have meant getting to Vilanova very late.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

[QUOTE = "dweeds, post: 699132, lid: 85641"]
Hallo, ik ben mijn eerste Camino aan het plannen in mei. Zal starten in Caminha op de kustroute. Ik ben nu net aan het kijken naar de Spirituele variant en ik zie slechts één hostel in Armenteira. Het ziet er onaantrekkelijk uit ... is er een andere plek om te verblijven, naast de chique Pousada? Het lijkt erop dat dit de enige 2 opties zijn. Ik denk ook dat dit hetzelfde aantal dagen is dat door Caldas de Reis loopt, als we de AM-veerboot de rivier oversteken naar Padron en rechtdoor lopen naar SdC, klopt dat? Enorm bedankt allemaal.
[/CITAAT]
M Armenteira is positief de albergue is zoals een albergue moet zijn. Je bent een pelgrim! Mijn negatieve ervaring in Armenteira betrof een dronken stel "pelgrims"die zo bleek een spoor van onbetaalde rekeningen achterliet.
I advise you to react in english instead of dutch if you want to receive any feedback.
If you walk from Armenteira towards Vila Nova de Aroussa you follow a beautfull
medieval path , a ruta das pedras e das augas. At the end of his about 7 km stage you will arrive in a small village, Barrantes. Just arriving there, is a small restaurant/bar, os Castaños. The owner rents rooms to pilgrims. We stayed there twice. From Barrantes it is 14 kms to the harbour in Vila Nova de Aroussa and the boat to Pontecessures/Padrón.
Bom caminho

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back