• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spiritual Variant - what’s the boat ride like?

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
Hey, there.

May be opting for the Spiritual Variant. What’s the boat ride like? Sail boat? Motor? Big? Small? Smooth? Choppy? I’ll spare you the details, but me and riding on the water haven’t always gotten along so well :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi @LorneB, I don't have any details about the boat ride, but from a fellow sufferer from seasickness: have you tried ginger? Ginger ale is the only thing that's ever worked for me.

Hi @LorneB, I don't have any details about the boat ride, but from a fellow sufferer from seasickness: have you tried ginger? Ginger ale is the only thing that's ever worked for me.

Thanks. It’s not actually seasickness that’s the concern, but rather a degree of discomfort around small boats, particularly sailboats, especially on rough water. Some childhood trauma around it. I can handle it when necessary, but I’m not a fan :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Lorne, I'm not a big fan of boats either so before I got to this part of the camino, I google-image searched 'boat vilanova to pontecesures' to try and see what type of vessel it is. A couple of images came up which you can check out yourself.

I could handle the 15minutes on the Caminha-Guarda ferry but decided to avoid the smaller boat (it takes an hour apparently) and walk this stage into Padrón.

Like you, I am curious to hear from someone who has taken the boat though.

Hi Lorne, I'm not a big fan of boats either so before I got to this part of the camino, I google-image searched 'boat vilanova to pontecesures' to try and see what type of vessel it is. A couple of images came up which you can check out yourself.

I could handle the 15minutes on the Caminha-Guarda ferry but decided to avoid the smaller boat (it takes an hour apparently) and walk this stage into Padrón.

Like you, I am curious to hear from someone who has taken the boat though.

Hi! And thank you. What was the walk like? Could it be done in one shot? Or could it be broken up over two days?

Olá,
the boat is a big rubber boat and the ride takes about 1hr and 20 minutes. The walk could not be done in one shot. It takes you 2 days. One the first day you will have about 6 miles constantly uphills..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi! And thank you. What was the walk like? Could it be done in one shot? Or could it be broken up over two days?

Like Rainerbernd, I think it would be too much for one day. By my sums, from Vilanova de Arousa to Padrón, it's 35km which could be OK for you. I walked from Cambados to Carril. Then the next day from Carril to Padrón.

Cambados is 4km west of Barrantes OFF the Camino and Carril is 3km north of Vilagarcía ON the Camino. Private accommodation in both.

From Vilanova to Vilagarcía de Arousa you can follow the signs for the Ruta de Padre Sarmiento. It's 10km on quiet roads next to the water and sometimes on small beaches. Carril is another 2km north of Vilagarcía and has a lovely beach.

The only bit of the walk that could be challenging was the 8km or so of road walking from Carril to Catoira. The road (PO-192 via Bamio) goes up and inland. But it's not very steep or twisting like the route out of Combarro. I walked on Sunday so traffic wasn't too busy. It was also at the start of my day (8am-10am) so for me it was fine but doing it in the heat of the day is another story.

At Catoira, you walk along a beautiful paseo fluvial (on boardwalk and shady trails) through the marshland there. Alas, only for 5km or so. There is a bar tucked away (Bar Alba) in Vilar just after this part. You can get a sello here and food/drinks.

Then it's another long hot walk (maybe 7km) on a flat asphalt road - no shade at midday - that runs parallel to the railway line all the way into Pontecesures. Then Padrón is another 3km.

Please note that my measurements are approximate! I used maps.me to find the route but there are a few arrows.

So a lot of road walking and a couple of nice bits near the water.

Hi LorneB
The boat has to be booked at the albergue before hand. It is crowded with people and backpacks but the day we did it was calm and sunny. The driver made it very interesting as we passed many floating mussel farms before entering the river. Once there he sped along quite quickly until some of the crosses were on the banks. Also there were forts to protect against Vikings and pirates. All in all. Wonderful finish to the Spiritual Variation

Attachments

• B1D22779-C8DA-47AD-BDBC-DA5EC69DCEC1.jpeg
    B1D22779-C8DA-47AD-BDBC-DA5EC69DCEC1.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 36
  • 2CBFEA74-5BB1-4FB8-A82F-825E62F95AD7.jpeg
    2CBFEA74-5BB1-4FB8-A82F-825E62F95AD7.jpeg
    939.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 4974005D-C8B6-49FA-900A-48B15D608E44.jpeg
    4974005D-C8B6-49FA-900A-48B15D608E44.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
I loved the boatride. It was interesting and entertaining. The boat we were on was big enough for 6 passengers and captain and first mate. Approximately 1 he ride. Will be doing it again next month!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Any advice about places to stay in Armenteira? I am doing my first Camino starting May 2, and I had planned on doing the Spiritual Variant. However, it seems like there are limited options for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back