• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spirituality, theft and staying aware on the Camino - from a current pilgrim

Consigliere

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2013, April 2018, October 2023
So this is my second Camino. And again it's bringing me a new level of gifts & wonderful people to learn from.

But to be honest it's much busier than in 2013, and I've noticed that some pilgrims seem to focus much more on their own "spiritual" journey, and much less on the practical issues with community, or as on pilgrim put it, "the traditional ways are much less important than the modern search for the spiritual path for the individual" .

I'm lucky I've adapted to the usual noise, bussle etc... But the added numbers seem to create pilgrim a) I'm having a ball and care not for anyone else and pilgrim b) I'll stay in my shell and suffer quietly. Whilst many lay in between, staying relatively quiet.. Makes me think.

Lastly theft, and I do believe that pilfering through other people's medical gear is going past theft into drug abuse (relatively of course).I've heard too many stories thus far to simply pass it off on "forgetfulness" - which is common. So my strong advice, buy a small bum bag & keep all the things you think are desirable, valuable, or just plain needed.

Saddened that many feel the need to stick to private alburges or hotels, but such is life. Maybe 2013 was a blessed year or I was blind. Anyway, stay safe and let's look after each pilgrim as they were your brother or sister, no matter where they are along the way.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hmm. I think it's not terribly useful to draw anecdotal conclusions based on two very small snapshots of the camino. Even if you meet 300 people along The Way that's only 0.1% of the people who collect a compostella each year. The fact that there are more pilgrims is indisputable but beyond that who can say? But it is human nature to seek patterns.

As for theft, I'm sure it happens but I did not hear of any on my caminos in '13, '15 or '17. Quite the contrary, the number of people who would happily give you their last compeed or paracetamol was entirely uplifting.

Last edited:
But the added numbers seem to create pilgrim a) I'm having a ball and care not for anyone else and pilgrim b) I'll stay in my shell and suffer quietly. Whilst many lay in between, staying relatively quiet.. Makes me think.
I think it flows from social media and wifi. There is no need to reach out since so many have never left home! ;)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As for theft, I'm sure it happens but I did not hear of any on my caminos in '13, '15 or '17. Quite the contrary, the number of people who would happily give you their last compeed or paracetamol was entirely uplifting.

I came across both on my second Camino francés, in 2013. The best and worst in people. As in life.

Hmm. I think it's not terribly useful to draw anecdotal conclusions based on two very small snapshots of the camino. Even if you meet 300 people along The Way that's only 0.1% of the people who collect a compostella each year. The fact that there are more pilgrims is indisputable but beyond that who can say? But it is human nature to seek patterns.

I came across theft on my very first Camino in 2004 - a group of 3 young people went to the showers leaving another "friendly pilgrim" to watch their packs. They returned and all of their money and valuables were gone.

As Domigee said.. the best and the worst of people, as in life.

However, I agree with the OP that the general attitude of many of the people walking has shifted from one of comradery and kindness to one of self-centeredness - just as in life.

Last edited:
Different personalities (introvert, extrovert, whatever) on the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
Theft (or worse) on the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
Different reasons (sincere or not) for walking the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
I hope nobody out there who has yet to walk it is expecting group hugs, enlightening conversation, folk guitar strumming and singing Kumbaya everyday. If you do, I suggest exiting that bubble you are in immediately.
but...
I saw pilgrims helping out fellow pilgrims just about everyday. I saw pilgrims sharing simple pleasures such as breaking bread together, everyday. In short, I saw some pretty cool stuff everyday. If I did not, I would not want to walk it again.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
[QUOTE="
However, I agree with the OP that the general attitude of the people walking has shifted from one of comradery and kindness to one of self-centeredness - just as in life.[/QUOTE]

I guess there are more "tourists" than "pilgrims" on Camino these days! It may make the "atmosphere/environment" different.

As a pilgrim, I would focus on my journey.

However, I agree with the OP that the general attitude of the people walking has shifted from one of comradery and kindness to one of self-centeredness - just as in life.

I'm sorry you found it this way. My first Camino was in 1989 and I walked it again in 2016. I had a very different experience. Maybe things have changed 180 degrees in two years, but, based on my experience in both the fairly distant and relatively recent past, I think the Camino is still filled with camaraderie and kindness, where "everyone is everyone else's cheerleader". I think that is one of the things that keeps drawing people back to it. Just my experience. YMMV.

I'm sorry you found it this way. My first Camino was in 1989 and I walked it again in 2016. I had a very different experience. Maybe things have changed 180 degrees in two years, but, based on my experience in both the fairly distant and relatively recent past, I think the Camino is still filled with camaraderie and kindness, where "everyone is everyone else's cheerleader". I think that is one of the things that keeps drawing people back to it. Just my experience. YMMV.

:) I changed my post to "many of the people" ... because you are correct, MOST of the people are still pretty darned nice. Maybe I was just having a bad day :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Different personalities (introvert, extrovert, whatever) on the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
Theft (or worse) on the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
Different reasons (sincere or not) for walking the Camino is as old as the Camino itself.
I hope nobody out there who has yet to walk it is expecting group hugs, enlightening conversation, folk guitar strumming and singing Kumbaya everyday. If you do, I suggest exiting that bubble you are in immediately.
but...
I saw pilgrims helping out fellow pilgrims just about everyday. I saw pilgrims sharing simple pleasures such as breaking bread together, everyday. In short, I saw some pretty cool stuff everyday. If I did not, I would not want to walk it again.
I agree. I think everyone's journey is their own. It is not for us to impose our expectations on other pilgrims. Some people are social or crave the connection. Others are more reserved and introverted. Either way, there is no right or wrong way to walk the way.

Saddened that many feel the need to stick to private alburges or hotels, but such is life. Maybe 2013 was a blessed year or I was blind. Anyway, stay safe and let's look after each pilgrim as they were your brother or sister, no matter where they are along the way.

My wife and I will start walking a number of Caminos in just under a month: via Gebennensis, via Podiensis, Voie Nive-Bidassoa, and Camino del Norte.
For quite a number of personal reasons, we are choosing to stay in private albergues, chambre d'hôtes, and hotels.
I don't believe that this will prevent us from meeting other pilgrims, and sharing with them. In particular, I don't believe it makes our Camino any less a pilgrimage than other pilgrims' Caminos. It certainly shouldn't make anyone sad.
We are looking forward to our pilgrimage, and our journey of thanksgiving.

My wife and I will start walking a number of Caminos in just under a month: via Gebennensis, via Podiensis, Voie Nive-Bidassoa, and Camino del Norte.
For quite a number of personal reasons, we are choosing to stay in private albergues, chambre d'hôtes, and hotels.
I don't believe that this will prevent us from meeting other pilgrims, and sharing with them. In particular, I don't believe it makes our Camino any less a pilgrimage than other pilgrims' Caminos. It certainly shouldn't make anyone sad.

We're leaving from Le Puy end of June, maybe we'll see you somewhere. We started in Chiasso, rather than Geneva, though that's another camino on my wishlist, and went via Basel (in stages) and luckily have encountered a lot of friendliness and many camino angels. I do sleep with my valuables and take turns showering though. We'll be using more chambre d'hotes this summer, but I think the Podiensis has more of them with smaller rooms than the busier caminos.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We're leaving from Le Puy end of June, maybe we'll see you somewhere. We started in Chiasso, rather than Geneva, though that's another camino on my wishlist, and went via Basel (in stages) and luckily have encountered a lot of friendliness and many camino angels. I do sleep with my valuables and take turns showering though. We'll be using more chambre d'hotes this summer, but I think the Podiensis has more of them with smaller rooms than the busier caminos.

We're starting from Le Puy-en-Velay on 9 July. We're slow walkers, though...
I love your forum name @Moominmamma , we have a son and his family in Espoo, Finland. :)

No PAIN no Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back