• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spoiler Alert!!! Santiago Matamoros a Short-ish Historical Account.

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
The tomb of Saint James was discovered in the ninth century near the place which became Santiago de Compostela. In medieval legend he would later be known as Santiago Matamoros – Saint James the Moorslayer however three centuries would pass before the discovery of the Saint and any mention of his appearance in battle.
Writing about 1118, the anonymous monk of Silos related that prior to attacking Coimbra, Portugal (1064), Fernando I made a pilgrimage to Santiago to implore "the Apostle to intercede for him with the divine majesty so that his campaign would have a happy and successful outcome". While the king "assaulted Coimbra with the material sword, James, the knight of Christ, did not cease to intercede". During the siege, a Greek pilgrim, hearing the people speak of Santiago as a "good knight", noted that he was not a knight and had never mounted a horse. That night, while the pilgrim was at prayer, the Apostle appeared and rebuked him (James was always known for a short fuse and quick temper!). Indeed there appeared "a most splendid horse of great stature" whose snowy brilliance "illuminated the whole church through the open doors". Mounting the horse, Saint James showed the pilgrim the keys that on the morrow would open Coimbra to the king. In this instance the Apostle did not appear in battle nor did he use any weapon, though he did carry those keys.
Saint James reputedly appeared in the battle of Clavijo (see note below!)in the ninth century. According to a privilege dated to 844, on the eve of the battle he told King Ramiro I of Asturias that "eternal rest is already prepared for many of your people, for they will receive the crown of martyrdom." He also said, "I will come to your aid and on the morrow by the hand of God you will overcome the countless multitude of Saracens…You and the Saracens will see me on a white horse…bearing a great white banner." On the next day after the troops had confessed their sins, heard mass, a nd received communion, the Apostle appeared in their midst. As he commanded, they shouted "May God and Saint James help us". We are told that this was the first recorded usage of this war cry, later shortened to simply "Santiago!". Again, Santiago was not armed nor did he engage in combat, but he did encourage the Christians. The image of the warrior clothed in white and mounted on a white horse is reminiscent of the Apocalyptic horsemen appearing in Revelation.
I am now looking for the origins of the sculptural representations of Santiago Matamoros –sword in hand trampling skulls - as can be seen from quite small examples in niches all along the Camino to the one in Logroño which fills the upper arch of the Iglesia de Santiago Matamoros as you leave town. Watch this space!
Information here was lifted shamelessly from "Reconquest and Crusade in Medeival Spain" written by Joseph F. O'Callaghan
Note: OH DEAR! "to a serious historian, the existence of the Battle of Clavijo is not even a discussion topic".
Translated from entry on Clavijo in the Diccionario de historia de España, ed. Germán Bleiberg, 2nd edition, Madrid, Revista de Occidente, 1968-69.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was fascinated by Matamoros when I was walking. I found it odd that the statue in the cathedral was moved to the museum because Muslims found it offensive, only to once against be placed back in the worship space when Christians demanded it be returned. The statue sits behind bars, and flowers and plants obscure the Moors under Santiago's horse. I suppose this was a compromise, but now St. James looks like he's some sort of warrior gardener! I also find it odd than when you walk out the doors and look across the plaza, there is a larger than life version of Matamoros, sitting atop the government building, in plain view for all to see.

I was fascinated by Matamoros when I was walking. I found it odd that the statue in the cathedral was moved to the museum because Muslims found it offensive, only to once against be placed back in the worship space when Christians demanded it be returned. The statue sits behind bars, and flowers and plants obscure the Moors under Santiago's horse. I suppose this was a compromise, but now St. James looks like he's some sort of warrior gardener! I also find it odd than when you walk out the doors and look across the plaza, there is a larger than life version of Matamoros, sitting atop the government building, in plain view for all to see.
The answer lies in yet another book, "Local Religion in Sixteenth-Century Spain" written by William A. Christian Jr. Orthodoxy, Rome, Santiago, Madrid, the illiterate village priest, and the somewhat pagan demands of those people in the parish often cannot find common ground.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Scruffy, in your research did you come across any mention of Santiago's supposed appearance on the Campo de Santiago in the mountains in between the towns of Colinas del Campo del Martín Moro and Fasgar? I had heard about the battle of Clavijo, but when I walked the Olvidado last summer, I heard about another Santiago appearance -- in a battle between Ramiro II of León and Almanzor. Do you know anything about this battle? Of course I could just go read about it myself but you seem to be the Santiago expert today. :)

Scruffy, in your research did you come across any mention of Santiago's supposed appearance on the Campo de Santiago in the mountains in between the towns of Colinas del Campo del Martín Moro and Fasgar? I had heard about the battle of Clavijo, but when I walked the Olvidado last summer, I heard about another Santiago appearance -- in a battle between Ramiro II of León and Almanzor. Do you know anything about this battle? Of course I could just go read about it myself but you seem to be the Santiago expert today. :)

Easy, but we must return to popular belief and local legend in order to understand this reference to to the Battle of Simancus in 939, a confrontation which unfortunately was fought almost 250 kilometers away. Ramiro II promised an annual tribute to Saint James if he would assure him of victory. Count Fernán González pledged a similar tribute to Saint Milan. Writing 250 years later, Ftra Gonzalo de Cogolla knows to relate that the battle began with an eclipse of the sun which frightened both armies. As the battle progressed there appeared, "two handsome and shining persons, whiter than the recent snows, coming on two horses whiter than crystal, bearing arms that no man had ever seen." One brandished a crozier and a pontifical miter and the other a cross. The Christian forces sank to their knees to atone for their sins and watched as the figures routed the Muslim army. According to the good friar, Saint James was identified as the figure with the crozier and miter, Saint Milan he with the cross. Sorry.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back