• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sponsored charity walk

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
I have been thinking I should take the opportunity to raise money for charity while I walk the Camino, but it has taken a long time to figure out which one. I finally decided on WaterAid, because it would save people having to walk long distances every day to get clean water, or if there is no clean water around, save them getting sick and dying from the lack of it. Being Norwegian, I have always had access to fresh, clean, cold water straight from the tap, and I can't imagine what it is like not having it. Besides, I will be drinking lots of it while I walk as an extra reminder.

So - I went to the WaterAid website http://www.wateraid.org/uk/, and it turns out they do sponsorship webpages through JustGiving http://www.justgiving.com/, where sponsors can donate simply and securely online and you can put information on what you are doing and why. It sounds brilliant, but has anyone tried it? Does it work? Do people actually donate on sites like that, or is it better to physically collect the money yourself? Are people wary of sponsoring? Does the money get there? The JustGiving website has examples of people raising funds for all sorts of charities, if you have any experience with them or any other insights or comments, please let me know what you think.

All the best,
LM

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi

Justgiving.com is a well known and legit company. I've donated through it and I also have several friends who have done sponsored walks, cycles, parachute jumps... and have used it with no problems.

Good luck.

John

I'm walking now (just reached Oxford) and using the Justgiving.com charity page for donations to Whizz-KIdz. It all works well!

Gareth

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks, Johnniewalker and Gareth - I'm very happy to hear that! Brilliant! Off I go to set up page now ...
All the best, and buen camino to Gareth!
LM

Justgiving is also the most used website for charity runners at London Marathon- had my own profile there some time ago. Works very well. Have a great time walking!
Kuba.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...