• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spontaneous Camino

SeekingPurpose

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2020 Le Puy-en-Velay
I have been going through a tough time lately, like many I'm sure. Yesterday I spontaneously decided to make my 1st Camino less than 24 hours and I am on the train to Lyon, reading this forum and loving all the great information which is being shared here. I will be arriving soon in Le Puy-en-Velay and although quite nervous about this endeavour I am excited to discover the region whilst confronting my insecurities.
Feeling grateful!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be warned that I found it difficult to find accommodation, but I wasn't in Le Puy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm following a Belgian on Youtube who is walking from Le Puy. He's posting a video every day, he's done 27 days and he is at Espalais. He had a tent, but after a week he realised he didn't need it and sent it home in a box. He's found a campsite was closed while there is no problem finding gite space. I notice he is still carrying his camping mattress, but that is quite light. I love seeing the places that I've walked through in the last 4 years. If you're interested, he is Le Renard Vagabond.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Enjoy the hills and more hills! And lentils (hooray!)-- and wonderful people. Go the pilgrimage mass at the cathedral at 7am -- it's wonderful with a surprise at the end.

There is (was in fall 2017) a very nice municipal camp ground in Saugues on the west side of the village. Hot showers and laundry. There is a good bakery in the village too and shops.

Bon Chemin!

Thank you Kellymac! I will definitely be at the 7am mass tomorrow morning and will also look out for the camp site you mentioned.

I'm following a Belgian on Youtube who is walking from Le Puy. He's posting a video every day, he's done 27 days and he is at Espalais. He had a tent, but after a week he realised he didn't need it and sent it home in a box. He's found a campsite was closed while there is no problem finding gite space. I notice he is still carrying his camping mattress, but that is quite light. I love seeing the places that I've walked through in the last 4 years. If you're interested, he is Le Renard Vagabond.

Thank you Susan, I will see how things progress and maybe I will give up my tent as well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also did a Camino on a whim! (Although not 24 hours)! Respect! I am a healthy, active person and I thought I’d be able to walk the Camino no issues. Lessons learned. It’s very hard on the body and if you haven’t trained in advance there are at least two things you can do to help yourself:

1. Use walking sticks!!I can’t stress this enough. Don’t wait until you’re already feeling an injury to start (as I did).

2. Pack as little as possible.The weight of your bag will grind you down over the weeks. Help yourself out by only taking what you absolutely need.

All the best and buen Camino!

Hello SeekingPurpose.
Make sure not to walk too fast... Your next days are going to be in such great landscape. Margeride and Aubrac are so beautiful! I walked this way 3 times always with great pleasure. Let us know when you arrive in Conques how much you enjoyed it.
Buen Camino

T
I also did a Camino on a whim! (Although not 24 hours)! Respect! I am a healthy, active person and I thought I’d be able to walk the Camino no issues. Lessons learned. It’s very hard on the body and if you haven’t trained in advance there are at least two things you can do to help yourself:

1. Use walking sticks!!I can’t stress this enough. Don’t wait until you’re already feeling an injury to start (as I did).

2. Pack as little as possible.The weight of your bag will grind you down over the weeks. Help yourself out by only taking what you absolutely need.

Thank you for your advice DC,
I bought sticks today along with Miam Dodo guide book and passport at the Cathedral. I don't have a lot of gear, but most likely I will have to figure out what I can let go of. I am planning to keep my hikes on the shorter side too, especially in the beginning.
Grateful,
Andrew

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello SeekingPurpose.
Make sure not to walk too fast... Your next days are going to be in such great landscape. Margeride and Aubrac are so beautiful! I walked this way 3 times always with great pleasure. Let us know when you arrive in Conques how much you enjoyed it.
Buen Camino
That's what I am thinking too, no hurry, I am here to spend time in Nature, not racing to finish :)
Thanks for all these encouraging messages it's lifting my spirit already!

I have been going through a tough time lately, like many I'm sure. Yesterday I spontaneously decided to make my 1st Camino less than 24 hours and I am on the train to Lyon, reading this forum and loving all the great information which is being shared here. I will be arriving soon in Le Puy-en-Velay and although quite nervous about this endeavour I am excited to discover the region whilst confronting my insecurities.
Feeling grateful!
I hope your Camino will be all that you want it to be and more! I am one who takes months to make plans for their pilgrimages and I enjoy every moment of planning but I will admit to an admiration of those who can, like you, take off on a whim. I pray your tough times are behind you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
SP: Enjoy your journey. Your first stop will probably be small village of St. Christopher where there is a WC and bar / store.. And yes, you will enjoy Nature on Le Chamin du Puy as there is lots of it due to the French Hiking Club that designed most of the routes! Also, there is a nice Gite in UNESCO Estaing .. this was our favorite. HAPPY TRAILS!

Attachments

• IMG_0527.JPG
    IMG_0527.JPG
    797.2 KB · Views: 8
would welcome any recommendations or advice regarding camping along this route

I walked from Le Puy in April 2016. While I stayed in gite I often encountered a fellow pilgrim who used a tent. His technique was to aks the owner if he coud pitch is tent in the grounds and use the kitchen and bathroom, paying a reduced fee. If that wasn't possible he moved on to the next hostel.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Feeling grateful!
You are going to LOVE Le Puy. The Cathedral perched high with its tiny black Madonna is quite unique. Please tell the forum how it feels to be among the first pilgrims to be back on the road. Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Walking sticks was a lesson I learned 6 days in. They would've saved my knee had I bought them earlier! But saved the rest of my camino life after getting them! Good advice. 100 percent agree!

The Le Puy Camino is entirely different than the routes in Spain, which naturally is to be expected and is a personal favorite of mine. Europe is so fascinating to me as an American, with each country being rather small, yet unique one from another. I loved the architecture, terrain, and cuisine in France...you will not be disappointed.
That said, I did not do it on a whim. Hopefully you will be posting along the way about your big adventure. Good luck!

Thank you Kellymac! I will definitely be at the 7am mass tomorrow morning and will also look out for the camp site you mentioned.

Thinking of you as finish my coffee and head to do morning chores in the barn. I pray that God grants you grace and joy.

Bon Chemin-

Kate

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Walking sticks was a lesson I learned 6 days in. They would've saved my knee had I bought them earlier! But saved the rest of my camino life after getting them! Good advice. 100 percent agree!
Mine was also a knee injury, which led to a hobble, which then led to a sore hip. I use them every time I hike now. I’m very lucky that my injuries were not permanent!

Feeling grateful!
Feeling grateful!
One step at a time my friend!

You are going to LOVE Le Puy. The Cathedral perched high with its tiny black Madonna is quite unique. Please tell the forum how it feels to be among the first pilgrims to be back on the road. Buen Camino.
Well I am now four days in and it's been great so far. Yes I loved Le Puy, the Cathedral, the Pilgrim's benediction and the opening floor revealing the stairs to begin the route. There were many other people at the benediction (40 at least) and along the way I continue to meet many wonderful folks following the same route. My first day was tough as my body was not used to such an endeavour and my pack is heavy too, so I ended up camping 2 nights (a day to recover) at a small farm in Ramourouscle (14km from Le Puy-en-Velay). I realised that I need to go slowly, make frequent stops and not worry about distance. Last night I camped at St Privat d'allier and today at Monistrol-d'Allier. So short hikes, giving me the opportunity to ease myself along and enjoy these picturesque villages. Tomorrow I will head for Sauges.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The Le Puy Camino is entirely different than the routes in Spain, which naturally is to be expected and is a personal favorite of mine. Europe is so fascinating to me as an American, with each country being rather small, yet unique one from another. I loved the architecture, terrain, and cuisine in France...you will not be disappointed.
That said, I did not do it on a whim. Hopefully you will be posting along the way about your big adventure. Good luck!
Yes I am absolutely loving the architecture, the terrain, the people and I feel very fortunate to be making this journey.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
SeekingPurpose:

Best of luck on your trip.

It is one I have dreamed of. I look forward to any progress reports and tips you might have to offer as you proceed.

Today's hike from Monistrol-d'Allier to Saugues was mostly up hill, although tiring the views are spectacular and worth all the effort.
My advice is something which I am learning, take the time needed, I am not in a hurry to get to any particular place. I am eager to breathe the fresh air, smell the fragrance of my surroundings, feel and respect my body, meaning I rest as frequently as I feel the need. All the while enjoying the scenery and exchanging good words with whomever I meet. Expect that the body needs time to adjust in the beginning so making shorter hikes is my recommendation, especially if you have a heavier pack ;-)

Today turned into a really good day. I delayed my departure from Saugues fabulous camping site because I wanted to purchase some food items at the supermarket. I was a bit troubled because it was the warmest day so far and my progress was slower than usual, but in the end it turned out I had a few special stops - cooling streams to soak my feet, a nice cafe/gite along the way, and when I arrived in the little village of Chanaleilles at Gite Café Du Pont they offered me place to pitch my tent, along with several other very friendly pilgrims/hikers and right next to a babbling brook free of charge. A glass of wine cost me 1.20 Euros. My best day yet and actually made 15 km so my longest hike so far!

Feeling grateful!
My ears and eyes are waiting eagerly to read about your experience Buen Camino! Currently In the planning Phase and LePuy is on the top of my list at the moment
I just downloaded the Miam miam dodo app To my phone seems useful and for me it’s good it in english

Last edited:
Yesterday I took a rest day in Aumont-Aubrac and whilst there I mailed about 3kg of none-essential things home, leaving my backpack 3kg lighter which plus feeling rested gave me the ability to hike all the way to Nasbinals today (about 27km) which was very satisfying.

Would you mind to write about any Covid restriction? I mean some limitation in Gite Etapes or in camp sites?
How many pilgrims are on the trail now? You said in last post that you lifted your backpack about 3 kilos. What is weight of it now? :) We are going to start our Camino very soon and we work about optimalization of our bakcpaks :)

Hi ALZ, face masks are now mandatory whenever you enter a business in France. I have not stayed in any Gîtes but in campsites it's usually required to wear a mask inside the reception and sometimes in bathrooms although not really enforced or practical. There are lot's of Pilgrims, mostly French and Belgium, but there are less than previous years. I don't know the exact weight of my backpack, probably between 15 and 20 kg, but I tend to carry food items (I am allergic to gluten and vegetarian), and I have a tent and sleeping bag. The less you bring the easier it will be, you can quickly wash clothes and don't need to have a lot of changes. Don't bring things that you can manage without. I hope that helps.

Yes it does. Every advice and details straight from the Camino helps much. Thank you very much and Buen Camino.

I had a great experience at the Gite Casa de Annie in Saint-Côme-d'Olt, a tiny Gite (max 10 persons) and fortunately for me she has place for a tent in her garden (the nearby camping was full). We had great food and conversation and Annie is a true Camino Pelerin - she has done many routes multiple times and she really goes out of her way to make everyone welcome. I am so grateful that I was able to have this experience and totally recommend Casa de Annie.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Let me ask you about your experience with speaking communication. I unfortunately don't speak French :(

I guess I don't manage to learn up to our pilgrimage :)

Will it be a big problem to find a place in Gite ? or at campsite?

What are your impressions? Thank you in advance .
We keep cross fingers for you :)
Buen Camino

Hi ALZ, I am living in the French speaking region of Belgium for 3 years and I have also studied French for 2 semesters because it is so essential to where I live, nevertheless I still have a lot of difficulties understanding and following conversations in French. Many French people understand and can communicate in English to some degree, but like many of us when we aren't fluent in a foreign language we might avoid risking using it. In my case because I could communicate sufficiently in French most people spoke French with me, but often the same people might explain something in English when they see I don't understand. And there are some who love an opportunity to practice their English. I think you'll be fine, but it would be good to learn some basic phrases like "I am sorry that I don't speak /understand French very well" and such simple everyday expressions. I don't recommend beginning with do you speak English (unless you ask in French "excusez-moi, vous parlez anglais ?"
One thing I realised is that I am more used to using the more familiar tu (you) instead where I should be using the more polite form vous (you and also the plural you).
Bonne Chemin !

So you are lucky man :) speaking in French :)
Your impressions and advices are very precious to me. We have been a few times in Spanish Camino /I don't speak Spanish as well :( :( / and I used to start talk with speaking in English and I did not found any bad reaction from Spanish people. They are so kind.
I try to understand what French feel when someone starts talking in English without any asking :(
and I respect this. But ... :)
We are going on pilgrimage for the first time in France that why I am asking about that. That is my issue I am afraid of lack of communication.
Generally we plan to stay at night at campsites but it is not a rule. We are going also to stay in Gite as well.
Bonne Chemin! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am sure that you will be fine, there is usually someone who speaks English when you need them, and in the worst case there is always Google translate :)
Bonne Chemin !

Thanks for sharing your experience along the way with us SeekingPurpose. I'm really glad to read you're enjoying your camino so far in these strange times.

Would you mind me asking how much do you get charged for pitching a tent at a campsite or at a Gite/Auberge? Would you say free camping is viable or frowned upon? And also, does it get chilly during the night?

Thanks for the info you've been sharing and bonne chemin :)

Hi Batavia, the price of camping sites vary from around 6 euros to as much as 17 euros (1 person + 1 tent). I sure you may find some suitable places for free camping, but I can't say if it is frowned upon, but for a few euros you have a shower, a place to do laundry, toilet, water and peace of mind so in my mind the campsite option made more sense.
There were some cooler nights at the beginning of my trip nearer Le Puy-en-Velay, but it has been warm and getting warmer along the way.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
After approximately 225km of hiking GR65 Le Chemin de Saint Jacques de Compostelle, Le Puy-en-Velay to Saint Roch near Decazeville., I am returning back to Belgium due to circumstances at home and work which need my attention.
I am filled with gratitude for this forum and all the numerous beautiful experiences which I had during this time. I certainly intend on returning to continue my camino whenever I have an opportunity. What a healing journey it was, as I began with many worries and doubts, now I feel uplifted and inspired.
Bonne Chemin or Buen Camino!!

I'm sorry to read you had to end your camino abruptly SeekingPurpose, but I'm also glad to read other fellow pilgrims demonstrating an admirable capacity to say goodbye gratefully and serenely.

Thank you for taking time away from your personal journey to share with us your experiences and information. I do hope you get to finish it very soon.

Bonne Chemin!

Sometimes we are not able to finish all our plans and projects. I am sorry that your pilgrimage must be stop . But I think that whenever we are, we are still pilgrims. Because all our life is The Way.

Maybe that is why we are going to be on Camino over and over again.

Buen Camino SeekingPurpose . I hope your will find your Purpose. See you on the Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back