• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spontaneous gear test

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi everyone!
My initial intention was to put on my hands free brolly and see if i could still use my Altus over the pack and do it up without any interference!
However my daughter suggested we test it; so here's the result!
The vid (there was more but says their to big) are just a little of my darling girls torture fest ha!ha!
Best bit was it didn't leak and it went on for several minutes at full pelt.
Worst bit was my language.
Watching might give someone the confidence to try one;or just a laugh at the expense of the looney dancing around with a silver brolly!
Woody.

Attachments

• VID-20210515-WA0001.mp4
    4.8 MB
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi everyone!
My initial intention was to put on my hands free brolly and see if i could still use my Altus over the pack and do it up without any interference!
The vid (there was more but says their to big) are just a little of my darling girls torture fest ha!ha!
Watching might give someone the confidence to try one;or just a laugh at the expense of the looney dancing around with a silver brolly!
Woody.
Kids. You gotta love 'em. Are you rich? I think she was trying to drown you. LOL

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi everyone!
Woody.
As good as any Martin Scorsese or Christopher Nolan film!!! May I give you a bit of advice putting that Altus Poncho on. I have worn the same one for 5 Caminos and it looks exactly like mine. You will sweat in them but it will also keep you warm walking in late fall or winter like I do.
My tip is when the wind starts to blow and you know you better put your Poncho on I hold it over my head near the top and face the wind. The poncho flaps like a flag and is horizontal to the ground. Then I put one arm in and then the other. In this way the Poncho does not get caught on the back of your pack and it covers you properly. Before I had the great revelation if I was walking alone it was a major hassle getting it on and the back of the poncho pushed all the way down.

Thank you! This is useful information!
I'm hoping to go this fall on the Camino Frances. I just found a Camino shop at Caminosupply.com and am getting my gear together - especially for rain

So glad for the video. I had no idea what you were writing about in English “brolly” = poncho in American. Lovely video 👏👏 🚿 ☔️ 🌧.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So glad for the video. I had no idea what you were writing about in English “brolly” = poncho in American. Lovely video 👏👏 🚿 ☔️ 🌧.
Hi El Cascayal!
Not quite; brolly is an informal way we say umbrella in the UK!
Glad you liked the video;my daughter certainly enjoyed soaking me and i was glad that the poncho kept me dry!
All the best Woody.

Hi everyone!
Woody.
[/QUOTE

I did walk the Camino Portuguese in November were it rain almost daily!

I was wearing the Altus rain gear the same you are wearing. After a long walk you get wet simply because there is no ventilation at the wrists level. Your arms are completely wet because there is no ventilation at the are level.

Instead of the wrist attached with elastic band button or Velcro would be very useful.

My 2 cents comments

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.