• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sports bras

november_moon

Veteran Member
This is a question mostly for the ladies, but I suppose men might have some input too, so no discrimination here :)

I am looking for recommendations for sports bras. I usually wear Champion brand, which are fine, but they don't always dry overnight after washing - for obvious reasons, this could be an issue on the Camino. If it is warm and dry, they do dry overnight, but if it is chilly and/or at all damp, they don't. I need to replace my sports bras soon anyway, so I am looking for some recommendations. What brands have you all found that you like? If it makes a difference, I am a 34-C, so reasonably standard size, don't need industrial strength or anything, but do need a sports bra with some decent support.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I have similar concerns with Enell. Looking forward to any input from those who have gone before, as I am looking for an option.

I simply wear a good fitting non-cotton, non-wired bra. I carry 2 in my pack, as they are lightweight, although they dry easily . Mine are actually M&S, but I suggest you keep to your favourite make. I am a 36B (M&S sizing) so don't feel the need for a sports bra. The ones I looked at pre Camino were stiff and comparatively heavy so I didn't get one. Basically anything that is comfortable, doesn't hold moisture if you sweat and dries quickly when washed is good IMO.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I just bought my second Ibex wool bra. I love them. There are a few styles from Ibex, Icebreaker, and Smartwool. Check them out on-line and see what you think. As they are wool they dry fast.
Stefania

Thank you for this thread. I'm large breasted and need support but the underwire is causing grief. I'll check out those sites. K

This is a great practical thread! Kayci I have the same issue. Difficult. I'm seriously considering a nursing bra for the next walk - lol - they seem the best non wired but supportive bras for ample breasts! And some are quite pretty in coloured and printed fabrics. Pretty amusing considering my age. Trouble is most are cotton which feels great but is slow to dry.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also take 2 Berlei Sports bras with underwiring and find they dry quickly also come in my fav purple!!

Have given up the no wire plan. Will take, as usual, my normal bras.

I bought one New Balance and one Adidas to try out. The New Balance one is great and very quick drying, it's also got flat seams. The Adidas one isn't quite as supportive but still very quick drying. I'm big busted, too so I find it really hard to get a sports bra that is big enough but both of these fit nicely and the New Balance one offers lots of support despite no underwire/upholstering/industrial scaffolding. I could even jog in it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of my dinner parties was taken over by a vigorous discussion on the benefits of having bras professionally fitted (being male, I had little to contribute on the topic). While it is apparently a tad pricey, the quality is generally far better and my woman friends are more than happy with the results. Professional fitters are aware of athletic and hiking activities, and can likely address fabric and drying considerations.

Agree. The #1 issue addressed by my fitter was my shoulders and how the shoulder straps (wider/padded) interacted with my backpack straps. Many other issues addressed. She took her time, and I was satisfied with the outcome. Well worth paying a little more..

I recommend that you go look at the brand Ice Breaker.
http://eu.icebreaker.com/Sports-Bras/womens-sports-bras,en,sc.html
All their material is natural, made from merino wool and cotton fiber, from New Zealand. It's pricey, but it's worth it. The material dries very quickly, so you can usually wash overnight and wear again. It also doesn't hold odors -- this I can attest to. I needed to wash things half as much as other peligrinas I met along the way. Don't ask me how it works, I can't explain -- but the material keeps you warm when it's cold but breathes and is cooler when it's hot. I invested in a 2 T-shirts, a long sleeve shirt and a fleece and I was very happy about it. But the best item was the sports bra. Really comfortable, fine support, really didn't smell after several days wear, and dried very quickly after hand or machine washed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take a two-layered approach. For walking I wear a regular, non-wire nylon (?) bra with a non-wire cotton sports bra over it. It works really well, and I'm one who needs a lot of support. After my end-of-day shower I switch to a wire-bra, which is what I wear in every day life.

I have been looking for a quick dry, med support (large breasted but wanted all day comfort) and no stink bra for a few months now. I was looking for merino but they all seem to be made in racer back style. I also have broad shoulders so racing back bras don't work for me. After a few returns, I think I've finally found two that I will take on my first camino.

- I ordered a 'super woman' bra off the title nine web page. This bra has a back closure so it is really easy to put on. I just received it two days ago. The tag itched a bit before a training walk so I slipped a little hiking wool in the clasp area and I never felt it again. Hope it softens up with wear. The bra gives lots of support without underwire and it was really comfortable. As far as the 'quik dry' aspect, I washed it by hand and hung it up in my bathroom mid afterenoon yesterday and by this morning it was almost completely dry (not sure if outer edges were damp or just cold) but...this is the closest to dry that ANY of my bra's have come even close to in this short a time, including the 'no support' Exofficio bra that I regret buying. I just have to know that I might need to plan to wear my 2nd bra the following day in case this one needs a little more time to dry. It's not merino but if it dries quick, I'll just have to wash it before it starts smelling.

- The second bra: Moving Comfort by Devine Mesh. This one is also back closure but it looks like a sports bra. I thought this was a little tight when I first tried it on after it first arrived but I wore it today for our 7 mi training walk...I did not even remember that I was 'trying out' a new bra; it felt wonderful and it looks great! I just hand washed it so don't yet know how long it will take to dry.
Wore both with my pack, no problem with either one. Hope this helps.

This is a question mostly for the ladies, but I suppose men might have some input too, so no discrimination here :)

I am looking for recommendations for sports bras. I usually wear Champion brand, which are fine, but they don't always dry overnight after washing - for obvious reasons, this could be an issue on the Camino. If it is warm and dry, they do dry overnight, but if it is chilly and/or at all damp, they don't. I need to replace my sports bras soon anyway, so I am looking for some recommendations. What brands have you all found that you like? If it makes a difference, I am a 34-C, so reasonably standard size, don't need industrial strength or anything, but do need a sports bra with some decent support.
Depending on your build, there are two that I really like. One is Patagonia (spendy but last forever) and the other is a company called, Handful. That's a ridiculous name I know but their bras have removable padding and adjustable straps. I've never had problems with either one. Here's a tip: If you have a freshly washed, damp bra, you can sleep with it. Your body heat will dry it as long as you are not sleeping under too much cotton. The same is true for wool or wool/blend socks and just about anything. I dry lots of damp clothing this way. It does not work however with soaking wet cotton.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I love my Icebreaker Rush bras. They are marino wool so dry quickly and do not smell. Not as streachy as other bras so not as easy to get on and off but I'm used to that now . same size as you and size M works for me.

Kanga... I went into Lorna Jane today. Some nice alternatives but note enough support if you are larger breasted. I'll try again. I'm trying to dodge underwire, fastening at back or front hold me tight and light weight. I think I'm asking too much... We will see :)

Thanks Kayci. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just reflecting on this thread I've come to wonder why a sports bra is needed. We're walking, not running (well, most of us), so I don't know if extra support is needed for the movement/bounce factor. I think wearing a good fitting bra (perhaps without underwire), with wide, preferably padded straps that is lightweight and easy to dry is the best option. I wear a sports bra to the gym, but not on the camino. Just a bra that fulfills all the above criteria. Am I missing something about sports bras & walking? Or is it just a preference for many women?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just reflecting on this thread I've come to wonder why a sports bra is needed. We're walking, not running (well, most of us). I think wearing a good fitting bra (perhaps without underwire), with wide, preferably padded straps that is lightweight and easy to dry is the best option. I wear a sports bra to the gym, but not on the camino. Just a bra that fulfills all the above criteria. Am I missing something about sports bras & walking?
I think you are right. I've always worn my normal bras before; they are all underwired. My only reason to change is to find something without underwire - it does get irritating sometimes.

Comfort and quick drying are the main issues. Fortunately my regular bras met both criteria. Comfort, naturally (they wouldn't be my regular bras were they not) and I lucked out with the quick dry. I wore one and took one extra.

I need good support. Larger breasted and want to get rid of the underwire. Sports bras are the only ones that seem to fit the criteria so far. I can find a quick drying bra in a 14DD with wide side panels and straps that won't irritate. Just throwing it out there. If found... This bra could become my 'regular' bra.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Nice discussion. In the US on long trails or even short hikes on a hot day I usually doff the shirt and just wear the sports bra. Usually black. In my estimation it is clothes, not just underwear. Much more comfortable. Regretfully, I suppose that will not be appropriate on the Camino. Besides comfort, that is the reason for wearing a sports bra as opposed to something that looks more underwear-ish. More than 50 years ago when I was in my 20s I wore a bikini on the trail. And I was far from the only one. We got nice tans with very strange boot lines in those days. HA! HA!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.