• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sprained ankle before Camino Frances - also any cocktail recommendations?

dejavo

Time of past OR future Camino
30th April 2023
Hi everyone, I'm flying to Biarritz on Saturday, on to SJPP to start walking from Sunday. I've got about 6 weeks booked off for this trip and have been looking forward to it since last September.

About 2 and a half weeks ago I drove to some lovely scenic woods to go for a run, all part of my very loose prep work for the big walk (in future I will just walk for training in the last month!). I didn't even make it out of the carpark before my left foot landed weird and I got the first rolled ankle of my life. I did a lot of resting and elevating and icing over the next few days, saw a physio that week and another the week after that, and they both said it didn't seem too bad of a sprain and I'd be okay to do the walk.

The pain has been lessening since then but today it's gotten worse and feels more like it's in the bone. Are bruised bones a thing? I'm trying not to think about it actually being fractured and two separate physios missing this... Maybe it's all in my head? Either way, I'm concerned about how it's actually going to feel on the walk and whether it's going to stop me.

So I guess my question is, anyone else dealt with last minute injuries? Or injuries at the very beginning? If you had to stop your Camino, which beach did you sit on for the next month and which cocktail would you recommend?

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That's bad luck! But 6 weeks is a decent amount of time - you could lose a few days and still make the whole distance. If you feel you would benefit from taking a few more days to recover, you could hang out a while in Biarritz or better still, catch the train and metro down the coast to San Sebastian/Donostia, if you can find a hostel there to spend a few nights. Enjoy the gorgeous town and as you get stronger test yourself on the local coastal paths, including the Camino del Norte going east. Try using a walking pole (or two) to take the weight off your foot.
If your recovery is slow, take some more time to explore the northern coast and then join the CF a little further along like at Pamplona or Logrono, depending on how much time you have left.

If nothing else other than to settle your head it is probably worth getting your ankle checked out again, maybe even an x-ray, but a sprain can be nasty enough, and can take time to heal up.

Secondly, even if it's nothing more than a sprain, it may be worth rethinking your starting point and reducing the total distance so you can walk shorter days. Even taking off the pressure of having to cross the Pyrenees might be a good idea
Thirdly, there are great places across Spain (France and Portugal) if you decide to call time on your camino- and you could visit several different spots over a month.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Best of luck that you can walk the camino!

As for cocktails... taste is very different. I for myself have very strong connections with "being in Spain" and drinking the cheap rum "Negrita" mixed with Coke. Not a fancy drink.

Really sorry to hear about your injury… as far as cocktails go, not too sure, but “orujo de hierbas” or “licor de hierbas”, over ice, is both very tasty and I’m told, “very good for you”, as it’s herbal….. possibly even medicinal! It might be good for the pain? Just don’t walk too far after too many of these- you might damage the other ankle!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your responses, will definitely look into those herbal cocktails! Purely focusing on the medicinal benefits to keep the mods of this forum happy ;)

If nothing else other than to settle your head it is probably worth getting your ankle checked out again, maybe even an x-ray, but a sprain can be nasty enough, and can take time to heal up.

Secondly, even if it's nothing more than a sprain, it may be worth rethinking your starting point and reducing the total distance so you can walk shorter days. Even taking off the pressure of having to cross the Pyrenees might be a good idea
Thirdly, there are great places across Spain (France and Portugal) if you decide to call time on your camino- and you could visit several different spots over a month.
I think I'm probably out of time to get an x-ray here to be honest, but if it comes to it I'll have to see what the Spanish hospitals have to offer!

My first two days are a bit shorter than the others - I'm splitting the journey to Roncesvalles and staying in Valcarlos so hopefully should be okay. That first day of walking will no doubt tell me whether the next day is going to be an issue or not.

That's bad luck! But 6 weeks is a decent amount of time - you could lose a few days and still make the whole distance. If you feel you would benefit from taking a few more days to recover, you could hang out a while in Biarritz or better still, catch the train and metro down the coast to San Sebastian/Donostia, if you can find a hostel there to spend a few nights. Enjoy the gorgeous town and as you get stronger test yourself on the local coastal paths, including the Camino del Norte going east. Try using a walking pole (or two) to take the weight off your foot.
If your recovery is slow, take some more time to explore the northern coast and then join the CF a little further along like at Pamplona or Logrono, depending on how much time you have left.
I've got SJPP booked, and it was a hard booking to come by since it's so booked up, so I think I'll start there no matter what and work out how I feel after my first day. Will be picking up my hiking poles today, and will be bringing tape and a light foot brace too. You're right though, hanging out on the northern coast before rejoining would probably be a good way to go. Or maybe I'll just head straight to Sarria and hop 3km a day!

Hi everyone, I'm flying to Biarritz on Saturday, on to SJPP to start walking from Sunday. I've got about 6 weeks booked off for this trip and have been looking forward to it since last September.
I'm flying to Biarritz (from London) on Saturday as well and planning to walk from SJPP on Sunday too!

As others have said, probably best to see how it goes and maybe replan your route/stops to reduce any strain you experience. I had several bad sprains on one of my ankles last year and went through the whole physio rigmarole so know how painful it can be. I has a similar feeling that I must have fractured a bone, but it was all muscular so got off comparatively easily, despite how it felt at the time. I'm not sure I'd have managed the camino at that point but that may be a reflection on relative severity of injuries/relative strength of character!

If you can put weight on it and it responds to painkillers/anti-inflammatories, you might be alright, but one thing to watch for is that rolling your ankle once can temporarily reduce your stability on that leg, and you are more likely to roll it again while you are recovering, so take care! I'd suggest watching out on downhills (maybe use trekking poles if you have them) and might suggest bringing some kind of ankle strap just in case you need extra support. I rolled my (other) ankle a few weeks before a marathon a few years ago and was still able to run it in an ankle support so they really do help in a pinch.

Hope you have a quick recovery and hopefully see you on the road!

I'm flying to Biarritz (from London) on Saturday as well and planning to walk from SJPP on Sunday too!
Ryanair from Stansted by any chance :D? Have you got your travel sorted from Biarritz to SJPP? I'm using Express Bourricot, €19 for a space in a shared shuttle straight from the airport.

Also, I think this statement:
I rolled my (other) ankle a few weeks before a marathon a few years ago and was still able to run it in an ankle support so they really do help in a pinch.
disproves this statement:
I'm not sure I'd have managed the camino at that point but that may be a reflection on relative severity of injuries/relative strength of character!
Can't imagine doing a marathon with a dodgy ankle, nice work!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, bad timing for that rolled ankle. Bruised bones are a thing, and they can take some time to heal. (Coming with experience here, rolled my ankle during a race may last year and after a lot of physio it ended up needing surgery after all, which I am now recovering from).

Medical advice always needs to come first! This is just me talking. I would advice against taking painkillers and risk it, but I would risk it and take a painkiller if at the end of the day (or during) it get's too much. Then you know you've gone too far and you need to reign it in a bit (shorter distance, day off, other). Walk to pain, your body is telling you something, you better listen. Also, at the end of the day do some foot yoga (google it) and gentle mobility exercises for the foot.

My go to when I can't run or walk, is the trusty bike. And some people I met on the CP did that when one of them got injured; they hired some bikes and kept going.

Anyway, hope it all goes well and you have a wonderful trip.
Buen camino

Last edited:
I sprained my ankle on the Camino in 2016 and was glad to have hiking poles for support. Unfortunately it altered my gait and I developed Plantar Fascuitis in my other foot. It us also easier to re-injure your ankle. Be ready to stop and rest or take alternate actions.

Bummer! Listen to your body! Its OK to take a taxi or bus if needed. I would suggest using poles, taping your ankle, and maybe shipping your pack everyday at least at the start. At the end of the day or when you get a break, put your body into a 90° with you feet up against a wall and let gravity work ... it works wonders. RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Ibuprofen, but becareful with the cocktails so you do not trash your stomach. There is also a topical pain reliever available over the counter in the farmacia Voltadol Forte.

YouTube video on how to tape: Wilderness Medicine | Usable Ankle Injury

Oh I forgot about the cocktails ... Licor43. They have released some special art bottles. I was lucky enough to bring one home. I just refill when it gets empty.

¡Deseándote buena salud!👣😀😎

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, bad timing for that rolled ankle. Bruised bones are a thing, and they can take some time to heal. (Coming with experience here, rolled my ankle during a race may last year and after a lot of physio it ended up needing surgery after all, which I am now recovering from).

Medical advice always needs to come first! This is just me talking. I would advice against taking painstillers and risk it, but I would risk it and take a painkiller if at the end of the day (or during) it get's too much. Then you know you've gone too far and you need to reign it in a bit (shorter distance, day off, other). Walk to pain, your body is telling you something, you better listen. Also, at the end of the day do some foot yoga (google it) and gentle mobility exercises for the foot.

My go to when I can't run or walk, is the trusty bike. And some people I met on the CP did that when one of them got injured; they hired some bikes and kept going.

Anyway, hope it all goes well and you have a wonderful trip.
Buen camino
Sorry to hear about your ankle, hopefully recovery is swift. Good points - maybe I should hold off on painkillers until I'm done walking for the day - probably better to not be numbed to how my foot feels. Love the idea of hiring a bike and continuing though. Will keep that in mind as an option.

Ryanair from Stansted by any chance :D? Have you got your travel sorted from Biarritz to SJPP? I'm using Express Bourricot, €19 for a space in a shared shuttle straight from the airport.

Also, I think this statement:

disproves this statement:

Can't imagine doing a marathon with a dodgy ankle, nice work!
That's the one! I've maybe unwisely booked a train from Bayonne instead but I guess I'll probably bump into you at the airport.

And as for the marathon, that wasn't the cleverest thing I've ever done so maybe worth discounting my advice accordingly!

That's the one! I've maybe unwisely booked a train from Bayonne instead but I guess I'll probably bump into you at the airport.

And as for the marathon, that wasn't the cleverest thing I've ever done so maybe worth discounting my advice accordingly!
Taking the train was my original plan but I saw people talking about strikes/trains getting cancelled. And actually I just saw someone saying in another thread that they've been told their Biarritz - SJPP train on Friday (or Saturday? it was unclear in their post which day they meant) has been cancelled. Here's the link if you do decide to book the shuttle https://www.expressbourricot.com/ you might even be able to refund your train ticket

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry to hear about the bad timing!!
Here are my $0.02:
  • plan on a slower Camino - Valcarlos is a great choice - I think you'll love it!!
  • use hiking poles
  • get elevated rest for your ankle
  • this is not the time to be a hero; take drugs as needed - not any ol' drugs, just those that a.) reduce inflammation and, b.) reduce pain - they will relax your worried mind and let your body recover faster
  • get a third medical opinion if you are still concerned
  • when you are walking, try not to limp - it will throw the dynamics of your whole body off
  • lots of ice - some for your ankle, some for your G&T
  • be very, very kind to your ankle; appreciate what it is doing for you!!
Buen Camino!!

About 2 and a half weeks ago I drove to some lovely scenic woods to go for a run, all part of my very loose prep work for the big walk (in future I will just walk for training in the last month!). I didn't even make it out of the carpark before my left foot landed weird and I got the first rolled ankle of my life. I did a lot of resting and elevating and icing over the next few days, saw a physio that week and another the week after that, and they both said it didn't seem too bad of a sprain and I'd be okay to do the walk.

The pain has been lessening since then but today it's gotten worse and feels more like it's in the bone. Are bruised bones a thing? I'm trying not to think about it actually being fractured and two separate physios missing this... Maybe it's all in my head? Either way, I'm concerned about how it's actually going to feel on the walk and whether it's going to stop me.

So I guess my question is, anyone else dealt with last minute injuries? Or injuries at the very beginning? If you had to stop your Camino, which beach did you sit on for the next month and which cocktail would you recommend?
I sprained my ankle on th second day coming into Zubiri, it slowed me down for a week but it was a good thing. I used my walking poles to help, you’ll be fine, take along ibuprofen.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well, I’d did happen to me, just 10 days before we were due to leave from Roncesvalles. What happened was that I ‘compensated’ by overusing my good foot and therefore ended up with loads of blisters.
This was actually our first time on the Camino. Over the years I have learned, mainly through experience, how to treat your body. In fact, for one thing, I never ever had blisters again!
In my opinion, 2 walking poles are essential.
Also be aware that going DOWN a path requires much more strain on your foot than going up.

Zarautz has a good beach easily accessible from the pueblo as has Noja. Another fine beach is Aguilar, near Muros de Nalon. There is a small hotel (Aspiazu) at the far end of the beach with a decent restaurant. Salinas and Ribadesella are both Spanish beach towns with lots of restaurant and accommodation, as has Somo. Saint Sebastian has several beaches alongside the city, should you need the comfort of a range of good restaurants. Most of these towns/cities have language schools or teachers (check with the turismo) so you can spend your days healing, polishing your vocabulary, and enjoying the ancient Victorian remedy of a seaside cure (although the swimwear is no longer Victorian).

I haven't been to Spain since the Plague, but vermut artisanal was starting to take off-- this is vermouth concocted by the bar or a local firm, and not like the sweetish stuff we're used to. While a negroni is always nice, you will pay for it, so I would stick to Campari and lots of ice.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walk first, then painkiller/anti-inflammatory only if you feel new pain. Go gently on the booze (might be best to stick to a refreshing beer) when you've taken a painkiller. Listen to your body and go as slowly as it wants you to. You've loads of time to take it gently!
Have a great camino!

Ugh! I'm sorry your ankle is not cooperating. Ibuprofen gel is available at most pharmacies and can help with minor aches. An ankle brace or tape (check youtube for taping videos) are also worth looking into. I had good luck taping my foot when I developed tendinosis (I was afraid it was a stress fracture - it wasn't).

As for cocktails, Campari and soda is always nice on a hot day, or a Negroni. I did a quick search and came up with this list for you and I am very intrigued by the first cocktail the Marianito Preparado as it seems to be fitting my bitter tastes https://www.tasteatlas.com/most-popular-cocktails-in-spain

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Bummer! Listen to your body! Its OK to take a taxi or bus if needed. I would suggest using poles, taping your ankle, and maybe shipping your pack everyday at least at the start. At the end of the day or when you get a break, put your body into a 90° with you feet up against a wall and let gravity work ... it works wonders. RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation). Ibuprofen, but becareful with the cocktails so you do not trash your stomach. There is also a topical pain reliever available over the counter in the farmacia Voltadol Forte.

YouTube video on how to tape: Wilderness Medicine | Usable Ankle Injury

Oh I forgot about the cocktails ... Licor43. They have released some special art bottles. I was lucky enough to bring one home. I just refill when it gets empty.

¡Deseándote buena salud!👣😀😎
This was all the advice I was going to give.

One small addition is to test the type of tape you choose for an allergic reaction. Leukotape is the most common tape and is fantastic, unless like me you’re allergic to it. Then you get a blistering rash that is really uncomfortable. I found this out after using it on a hike for ankle support. That was just a 4 day through hike so it was manageable but I certainly wasn’t wearing socks or shoes for 10 days after that.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Many years ago Mrs. B had an operation.

When she was due for discharge, 'Hattie Jacques' (Sen. Nurse) sat on the edge of the bed and gave this brilliant advice.
You can alter the timings to suit when walking.

8am Wake up. Take two Paracetamol (=1000mgs)
Have something substantial to eat; take 400mgs of Ibuprofen
4hrs later repeat
4hrs later, repeat.
Etc. etc.

When she was asked why take the medication as soon as waking up this is what she said.
If you take painkillers and anti inflammatory meds BEFORE pain then they are far more efficacious.

Recommended.

Many years ago Mrs. B had an operation.

When she was due for discharge, 'Hattie Jacques' (Sen. Nurse) sat on the edge of the bed and gave this brilliant advice.
You can alter the timings to suit when walking.

8am Wake up. Take two Paracetamol (=1000mgs)
Have something substantial to eat; take 400mgs of Ibuprofen
4hrs later repeat
4hrs later, repeat.
Etc. etc.

When she was asked why take the medication as soon as waking up this is what she said.
If you take painkillers and anti inflammatory meds BEFORE pain then they are far more efficacious.

Recommended.
That's what they told me too after the surgery, I also had Tramadol in the mix. (and a stomach protector against the negative side effects of the Ibuprofen). The whole mix to be effective against the pain to keep me comfortable while recovering and resting.

I left the hospital with a plan to reduce all of those (first tramadol and then ibuprofen). Now (after four weeks) I can do weightbearing and have a whole set of exercises, the advise is actually to take just the minimal, as to avoid overdoing it.
The first phase was to be comfortable and rest the foot, this phase is to stay comfortable while using the foot to pain, so I need to feel the pain to know where I can go. (I'm not a professional athlete, but serious about my sport and am followed closely by PT and coach; and have started strength and crosstraining (biking) to get back on my (running) feet as soon as possible). I really want to avoid any more problems, I want to heal as quickly as possible and as slowly as necessary! I have big plans!

All this just a word of caution to the numbing of an injury and overdoing it and making it worse.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So I guess my question is, anyone else dealt with last minute injuries? Or injuries at the very beginning?Or injuries at the very beginning? If you had to stop your Camino, which beach did you sit on for the next month and which cocktail would you recommend?
I ended up getting a serious shin splint (possibly a stress fracture) the first few days of walking on my Camino last spring. I spent 10 days in a Pamplona hotel room Hoping to recover. I was working with a podiatrist, and she thought it was too bad for me to walk. I ended up buying a used bicycle in Pamplona and completing my Camino that way.

I would say, if you have a foot problem, you might consider delaying your trip If you don’t feel its improving. If you cannot, you might try the bicycle thing. It’s still nice, but it’s really hard to develop a Camino family on the trail.

And although the Camino france walking trail is also officially a bike trail, you feel like an a**hole when you’re weaving around walkers. It wasn’t too bad at the beginning when I started in mid April, but once I got to the end sometimes I had to go on the road away from the trail. Also sometimes very physically demanding, there is a lot of pushing up hills.

And there are recommended roads for a bicycle trip, but of course, it’s very different from taking the trail. The NA 110 mostly.

As far as cocktails are concerned , I loved having a shot of Oruja blanco (sp.?) at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Great thread title. Hope you will be ok. Forget the cocktails, you are in wine country now. Buen camino.

Thanks everyone. I've really appreciated every response - good to know I'm not alone. No option to delay this trip though unfortunately, I'm already here! The walk starts in earnest tomorrow. Tonight I'm in a private b&b having a lone beer and looking out the window (will have a wine as soon as I'm among other peregrinos!) to celebrate arriving in one piece.

PXL_20230429_175719136.jpg

My Fitbit tells me I've walked the same distance today just in airports/train stations/wandering around SJPP as I will on my first day walking to Valcarlos. Around 12km. My airbrace is doing its job well and hasn't been too uncomfortable yet (although I'm sure it'll chafe given some time and hot weather) and I'm feeling fairly confident about the added benefit of my lovely light poles. No. Ibuprofen needed today, but we'll see how long it takes for that to change.

Biking some of the remaining route, skipping some tough sections or even replacing an entire stage with a trip to the beach and a few litres of sangria is still not totally off the cards, but I'm up for giving this a good go first. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
No Ibuprofen needed today, but we'll see how long it takes for that to change.
Have a great Camino!
And on behalf of most members on this forum, you have permission to pamper yourself and take it easy. Buen Camino! Let us know how it works out!

PS. And when I was muling my camino options, I asked the same question about the beaches to my podiatrist. She was from near Cadiz , and told me the beaches up the coast (northwest) of Cadiz had a bunch of great hippie surfing towns.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.