• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sprained ankle on Camino Portugues needing advice.

Kev

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Sept-Oct 2015
Camino Portuguese Sept-Oct 2018
Camino Portuguese Oct 2020
My wife got a minor sprained ankle and training that healed quickly but further aggravated at walking out Oporto and it is now very aggravated. we have sought the advice of a pharmacist who prescribe some anti-inflammatory cream and we also have some compression bandages from a pharmacist as well however we have reached the end of the boardwalk and I now walking on cobblestones. The boardwalk was very manageable if slow but very pleasant. now that we have reached the heavy Cobblestone area but constant flexing of the ankle is really aggravating the sprain.
We have a fixed departure date of October 6th and would like to walk to get a Compostela. If we switch to the Portuguese Central route restarting at Tui, are the walking Services smoother than the cobbled services we are walking now?
Tentatively we are looking at spending two more days longer Coast taking it very easy and giving the ankle plenty of time to rest before making the potential move over to tui.
Advice and suggestions are welcome.

Kevin

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Want to add, saw the post "Sprained ankle on day 1- what to do?" and got some good advice for the sprain treatment.

Bus service to Tui is good. From most places on the PC. May have to ride bus back to O Porto to transfer for ride to Tui. I know bus service to Ponte da Lima from O Porto is very good. and bus service from PDL to Tui equally good.

The walk from Tui you will find areas of pavement, cobble stones too, some on the road, cement, gravel, small rocks, larger rocks, etc. So May not be the best for walking with a bum ankle. Or potential of causing harm again.

When I injured my leg I had to rest three or four days in Ponte da Lima. Then walk the over the high hill after there. That was rough with rocks, mud, etc. Elevation gain and drop for that hill is the worse one on the entire PC. Correct me if wrong but think it is. Not even good for cycles.

Since you are starting or restarting after Tui I believe you will avoid this hill. Will have to double check my notes and map. Sure Tui is after Ponte da Lima and the hill that comes next from there.
The hill after PDL is the only one I would have concern for you. But do think you avoid it by restarting at Tui.

A bum ankle, knee, leg muscle..what ever...is no fun. The worse you don't want is cause more harm/pain.

Stopping in the pharmacy for advice/help is very good in Spain and Portugal. I got all of my help from such in Ponte da Lima.

Best to you.

We could talk all day on here "what after" Tui would be acceptable for walking for her. Guess what is good for one is not good for another.

Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a swollen left foot for the last 3 weeks of the CF in June. It was snug in my boot each day so it didn't hurt. I iced it every chance I got, used ibrofuren, elevated it, kept on going to Finnestere & when I got home the xray revealed a chronic fracture. Two days rest might be a good idea to not make the Spain worse. Good luck.

Thank you everyone. Today's walk was only 8k and was fine until the cobblestones. Right now we are considering all options including possible Camino changes.
As always, any advice is welcome.

Thank you everyone. Today's walk was only 8k and was fine until the cobblestones. Right now we are considering all options including possible Camino changes.
As always, any advice is welcome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walking any Camino can bad with a bum ankle.
Once out there walking you are on your own.

Absence of a big emergency, you are painfully on your own.

Bum ankle may not be an emergency category for rescue to come to your aid.

Once out of towns getting a bus or taxi or a ride may become difficult.

IMHO I would not chance reinjury and what comes with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...
Hi my name is Leah and I am starting the Camino Frances on April 10 and will be leaving Australia on April 4. I have just cut my hand and needed stiches which will need to come out when I am in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back