• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Spring camino Francés - wondering about timing

michal.don

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte 2022, Camino Francés - April 2024
Hello, after walking the Norte last autumn, I'm starting to think about doing the Francés. Certainly not this year, but, maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to go next spring. I know it's way too early to plan the thing, but I'd like to hear some insight from the local camino veterans about their experience and get some useful tips I might not otherwise have considered. Here are the things I consider the most important when picking a date:

Weather - This is, of course, the most unpredictable part of it. You can't really plan for weather. But ideally, I'd like to have nice walking conditions, rather cold than hot. I walked the Norte in October/November, and except for a few rainy days in Galicia, the weather was great for me. Im thinking April might be generally similar to October, temperature-wise?
Crowds - Again, a big one for me. I don't really like crowds. That's why I picked the Norte for the first camino, and the moment I walked into Arzúa where the two caminos join, I saw I made the right choice. I know that the last 100 kilometres are very different from the rest of the camino, but it was quite a shock anyway. That's why I'd rather start a few weeks before the main season starts. I'm more than willing to get rained on a bit more in exchange for a bit quieter camino :)

From what I gathered around here, it seems to me that an early April start should pretty much be my best bet - a bit colder at the beginning, but a potentially very pleasant May weather when reaching Santiago, and a more relaxed experience in the first part.
I know that it seems I'm trying to find the holy grail of a perfect date for a camino. It's more of a "Am I missing something really obvious" kind of question. But yeah, a perfect date for a sunny camino without too many people and temperatures it the low twenties would be nice, indeed :)

I'd be grateful for any insight and experiences,
thanks,
Michal

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP in January this year. You might assume that the weather would be atrocious but in fact I had one day of snow, one day of rain, and two days of freezing cold wind. The rest of the time the weather was dry and clear. Sometimes chilly - well below freezing some nights. On other days it was t-shirt weather. But weather in northern Spain and especially Galicia is very unpredictable. You can search for historical weather figures for towns along the route on weatherspark.com and that will give you some idea of general trends but what you find on the day will be anyone's guess!

Keep in mind that Easter in 2024 will be on Sunday 31st March. During the Holy Week (the week before Easter) it always is very, very crowded in Roncesvalles, as Spanish and French people have a few days off then and walk a part of the Camino that week.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked from SJPDP on April 4 (2019) and arrived in Santiago on April 28. Overall it was a great experience, not too warm and not too cold, yes, some rainy days, but only 2 days where it was really extremely wet, some mixed days and actually many dry days.
The only thing you should keep in mind is that especially in the beginning many trees will not be green yet and also many fields still brown in colour. Vegetation will be more alive if you start later. But this refers more to the first half.

I had snow twice, once in the Pyrenees and once later ... quite beautiful actually!

From what I gathered around here, it seems to me that an early April start should pretty much be my best bet - a bit colder at the beginning, but a potentially very pleasant May weather when reaching Santiago, and a more relaxed experience in the first part.
Yes, you have figured it out. I have walked the Frances three times in April, and this was my experience. I do not like walking in any temperature over about 26C, and leaving early is how to make it happen. You accept a little more chance of rain at the beginning for a more relaxed experience and beautiful view as spring growth happens right before your eyes. As others have said, be very aware of where you might be over the easter weekend. It's not crazy busy on the trail, but the cities and usual busy spots fill up with holiday makers and weekend pilgrims, so make bookings in advance. Also, plan ahead for the May 1 holiday.

I walked the Camino Frances from SJPDP in January this year.
T-shirt walking is a thing I would indeed not expect in January. I should be fine in April, then. Thank you!

Keep in mind that Easter in 2024 will be on Sunday 31st March.
Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have considered that. That being said, Spaniards have days off before Easter? So they will walk the last week of March, probably? Then an early April start should be ok, if I begin walking after the Easter holidays, that is?

The only thing you should keep in mind is that especially in the beginning many trees will not be green yet and also many fields still brown in colour. Vegetation will be more alive if you start later. But this refers more to the first half.
Interesting, I would have expected Spain to start getting green earlier. I live quite a bit further north, and it is slowly getting green this time of the year (well, not today, it's snowing right now :D ). How does the meseta look like this time of the year? Thank you!

Yes, you have figured it out. I have walked the Frances three times in April, and this was my experience. I do not like walking in any temperature over about 26C, and leaving early is how to make it happen.
Glad to hear that, that's pretty much what I'm aiming for. Thank you!

Michal

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for the tip, I wouldn't have considered that. That being said, Spaniards have days off before Easter? So they will walk the last week of March, probably? Then an early April start should be ok, if I begin walking after the Easter holidays, that is?

Yes, after the Easter weekend you will be fine, the numbers of pilgrims will be normal again.

Furthermore: the Route Napoleon is closed during winter until April 1st, and in case there is heavy snow or expected bad weather on the mountains it may be closed also in April. In Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port go to the pilgrims' office, they give you up-to-date information about the situation of the Route Napoleon. In case it is closed, you will be advised to walk via Valcarlos.

Interesting, I would have expected Spain to start getting green earlier. I live quite a bit further north, and it is slowly getting green this time of the year (well, not today, it's snowing right now :D ). How does the meseta look like this time of the year? Thank you!
On my April Camino I go snow twice and most of the vinyards where still brown/grey. Beyond that it was especially those iconic trees which you find in the villages and towns, what is their name? that were still without leaves. Overall it was not cold, in the second half of April it was quite warm and on some days even hot. Will se if I find some pictures.
Oh, and I live a bit further North. -23°C this morning, still 60 cm of snow and more to come for the weekend ;-)

T-shirt walking is a thing I would indeed not expect in January. I should be fine in April, then. Thank you!
Here come some sample shots from April 4 2019 in SJPDP and the Pyrenees, Pamplona, some stages in between and then outside Santiago end of April. As you can see, vegetation and how far spring has progressed, can be very different locally.

IMG_6293.jpegIMG_6315.jpegIMG_6321.jpegIMG_6349.jpegIMG_6397.jpegIMG_6683.jpegIMG_6726.jpegIMG_7011.jpegIMG_8388.jpegIMG_8865.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Furthermore: the Route Napoleon is closed during winter until April 1st, and in case there is heavy snow or expected bad weather on the mountains it may be closed also in April. In Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port go to the pilgrims' office, they give you up-to-date information about the situation of the Route Napoleon. In case it is closed, you will be advised to walk via Valcarlos.
I've heard about the possibility that the Route Napoleon might be closed, if the weather is not favourable. Thank you for the tips!

Here come some sample shots from April 4 2019 in SJPDP and the Pyrenees, Pamplona, some stages in between and then outside Santiago end of April. As you can see, vegetation and how far spring has progressed, can be very different locally.
That's a very interesting mix of weathers and colours. To be honest, I would have expected April Spain to be a bit more spring-like, but it's very nice. So, April it is, I guess, if all goes well, possibly the next one. Thank you!

Michal

Back