• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spring Heat Wave on central out of Lisbon

Gumbolover

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi all. Thanks for all your advice. I'm really enjoying my Camino Portuguese. I'm on day 6 of my hike. Currently in beautiful Tomar. I need some advice. The weather forecast has the weather jumping potentially 20°, so that we could have temperatures in the high 80s. I wouldn't mind those temperatures if there were a lot of pilgrims around but there really isn't many and I don't want to get stuck in a heat situation in the middle of nowhere by myself (turns 60 in a few days :))

So I'd like some advice on which of the stages between here and Porto I could dramatically shorten or skip without losing that much. I appreciate your advice. I don't mind walking in the heat. But if a lot of its going to be road walking or not interesting areas, in the heat, I rather skip it somehow. Again I appreciate the advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It's smart to be careful with the heat and it is warming up in Portugal this week but I'm not sure it's heat wave territory yet. Max in Tomar today is 26 degrees Celsius (79 Fahrenheit), up to 31 (88) by Sunday. In Sep 2020 on the CP, we walked 12 straight days at 33 Celsius (91) or higher, up to 39 (102) in Azinhaga. Still, leaving early in the morning, and avoiding walking in the mid-late afternoon (the hottest time of the day) are good strategies.

Tomar to Coimbra is (in my view) the most interesting walking of the CP between Lisbon and Porto, with a lot of country walking among olive trees and vineyards. Coimbra to Porto had much more road walking and I found it a lot less interesting, so if you're looking to skip stages, that's where I would do it.

From Tomar to Coimbra these were our stages:

Tomar to Heart Way Pilgrim House (near Vila Verde but currently listed as closed on Gronze, ~21km/13mi)
Heart Way Pilgrim House to Ansião (~24.5km/15mi)
Ansião to Rabaçal (~19km/12mi)
Rabaçal to Cernache (~19km/12mi)
Cernache to Coimbra (~11km/7mi)

Check out Gronze for accommodation options that could shorten these stages if they're too long.

It's smart to be careful with the heat and it is warming up in Portugal this week but I'm not sure it's heat wave territory yet. Max in Tomar today is 26 degrees Celsius (79 Fahrenheit), up to 31 (88) by Sunday. In Sep 2020 on the CP, we walked 12 straight days at 33 Celsius (91) or higher, up to 39 (102) in Azinhaga. Still, leaving early in the morning, and avoiding walking in the mid-late afternoon (the hottest time of the day) are good strategies.

Tomar to Coimbra is (in my view) the most interesting walking of the CP between Lisbon and Porto, with a lot of country walking among olive trees and vineyards. Coimbra to Porto had much more road walking and I found it a lot less interesting, so if you're looking to skip stages, that's where I would do it.

From Tomar to Coimbra these were our stages:

Tomar to Heart Way Pilgrim House (near Vila Verde but currently listed as closed on Gronze, ~21km/13mi)
Heart Way Pilgrim House to Ansião (~24.5km/15mi)
Ansião to Rabaçal (~19km/12mi)
Rabaçal to Cernache (~19km/12mi)
Cernache to Coimbra (~11km/7mi)

Check out Gronze for accommodation options that could shorten these stages if they're too long.
Thank u this is very helpful

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am also
Hi all. Thanks for all your advice. I'm really enjoying my Camino Portuguese. I'm on day 6 of my hike. Currently in beautiful Tomar. I need some advice. The weather forecast has the weather jumping potentially 20°, so that we could have temperatures in the high 80s. I wouldn't mind those temperatures if there were a lot of pilgrims around but there really isn't many and I don't want to get stuck in a heat situation in the middle of nowhere by myself (turns 60 in a few days :))

So I'd like some advice on which of the stages between here and Porto I could dramatically shorten or skip without losing that much. I appreciate your advice. I don't mind walking in the heat. But if a lot of its going to be road walking or not interesting areas, in the heat, I rather skip it somehow. Again I appreciate the advice.
in Tomar tonight at hostel 2300. Several of us leaving 7am tomorrow morning if u want to walk with us. Be outside hostel 7am or look for us on way. 7 women i man! Bon camino

I am also

in Tomar tonight at hostel 2300. Several of us leaving 7am tomorrow morning if u want to walk with us. Be outside hostel 7am or look for us on way. 7 women i man! Bon camino
Now with Heart Way Pilgrim hostel closed, where did you stay after Tomar? 🙂

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Now with Heart Way Pilgrim hostel closed, where did you stay after Tomar? 🙂
I don’t know if you use gronze (take a look if you don‘t, because they are the most up to date, in my experience.). They list an albergue at 26 km after Tomar.

Alvaizaire is another 6 km after that.

Bom caminho, Laurie

I don’t know if you use gronze (take a look if you don‘t, because they are the most up to date, in my experience.). They list an albergue at 26 km after Tomar.

Alvaizaire is another 6 km after that.

Bom caminho, Laurie
Thank you, I was thinking of cortica 🙂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back