• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sprint cell plan

Ashland293

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
My current cell phone plan with Sprint is locked, has anyone used the Sprint Plan (no EU SIM card)? If so, how did everything work, calling, texting, google maps, etc..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have a Sprint phone (now technically t-mobile because they merged) and it travels really well. Most phones have global roaming already included and you get free texts and (slow) data, and low cost phone calls. The data speed is like 2G but unless you are trying to stream something it is fine for most basic things like email and social media. I will never switch providers because of it. I like not having to bother with SIM cards or data plans. My phone just works almost anywhere In the world.

Remember that there are all sorts of places where you can connect to wifi, a cheaper choice than using cellular data. All of the GPS apps that I know of like Google Maps allow you to download base maps ahead of time. Then on the way you don't need to get the maps with expensive and/or slow data connections.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have a Sprint phone (now technically t-mobile because they merged) and it travels really well. Most phones have global roaming already included and you get free texts and (slow) data, and low cost phone calls. The data speed is like 2G but unless you are trying to stream something it is fine for most basic things like email and social media. I will never switch providers because of it. I like not having to bother with SIM cards or data plans. My phone just works almost anywhere In the world.

I have used my T-Mobile plan with global data and texts for 5 Caminos and several other international trips. It also works fine for me. One year I paid something like $20 extra/month to have faster speeds and the ability to use my phone as a hotspot while I was in Spain.

Consider that new phones (iphone 13 and even since 11) have access to a secondary digital sim card. This allows you to buy a domestic Sim card in Spain for little money and have regular acces to your GPS and local call to make albergue reservations.

I walked in Camino Frances in fall 21 using a sprint/T-Mobile phone and it worked absolutely beautifully ; text and data are free ; calls are $.25/minute I believe; and throughout you have the option of signing up for a faster data plan if that better suits you.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in Camino Frances in fall 21 using a sprint/T-Mobile phone and it worked absolutely beautifully ; text and data are free ; calls are $.25/minute I believe; and throughout you have the option of signing up for a faster data plan if that better suits you.

Yes!

That how it was for me in 2019.

My Sprint phone transferred to Spain’s network without any assistance from me. I didn’t realize I was on Spain’s network until I received a call from home in USA.

I have forgotten about faster data plan option. I used FaceTime as well without extra fees.

The service was excellent. Just excellent.

Enjoy Sprint now T-Mobil’s service.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
I have found the included T-Mobile international service to be great everywhere we have gone in Europe and Asia. I was astonished to be able to use Google maps for driving around in the remote Carpathian mountains of Romania.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.