• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Andrew's Way, Scotland ...thoughts?

KJFSophie

My Way, With Joy !
Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
I've just returned from the Camino Ingles and am considering my next walk. Has anyone walked the St Andrews Way in Scotland ( I know there are a few various routes ) who might offer the pros and cons and perhaps some comparison to any of the Santiago routes?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I've just returned from the Camino Ingles and am considering my next walk. Has anyone walked the St Andrews Way in Scotland ( I know there are a few various routes ) who might offer the pros and cons and perhaps some comparison to any of the Santiago routes?
check out "Darwin on the trail" in youtube. He was just there and he has a few videos about the trail.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Did I miss your comments on the Ingles???

Why not try St Cuthbert’s Way from Melrose to Holy Island (Lindisfarne)? Fabulous, walking it again next April.

Did I miss your comments on the Ingles???
Were you looking for comments on the Ingles? LOL In a nutshell : far fewer pilgrims, far fewer accommodations, far fewer places to dine on the camino path, far fewer opportunities for mass/ churches/ communal celebration...but I think, THE loveliest walk into Santiago once the industrial zone is behind you.

I've enjoyed all of my walks for one reason or another...I create no expectations beforehand and try to extract the richness in each moment. ( I'm not yet home three days and am researching my next )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Hi Sophie,
Happy to help.
Firstly I would point you in the direction of the ‘Fife Coast & Countryside Trust" website. They manage the two long distance footpaths in Fife. The online info is accurate and up to date.
Climate - the reason our landscape is green is because is rains a fair bit.
The St. Andrews Way is a recently opened route. It hasn’t yet bedded in and has little in the way of infrastructure supporting Pilgrims. The tracks etc are ancient but the Way is new. There are no dedicated Pilgrim overnight stops or bunkhouses as we call them here. Sad to say that there are few coffee stops enroute. Meeting a fellow pilgrim is a rare thing. I met one group of 6 and later a sole Walker, that apart, solitude. I would describe way marking as "quirky". For some reason the way is marked with very small signs and sometimes, to keep you on your toes, use a variation.
The Fife Coastal Way is a long established walk. Directions are simple - keep the sea on your right hand side,but there is also very good signing. There is much more in the way of infrastructure as you are passing through many more (fishing) villages which have, cafes, hotels, B&B’s etc. (Sorry still no bunkhouses).
Both walks can be started in North Queensferry and finished in St. Andrews.
i have walked both routes and would, without a shadow of a doubt, recommend the Coastal route.
I hope this helps. If you need any further info please get in touch.
Dael

There are many Pilgrim routes in Scotland.
St Magnus Way. St Cuthberts Way, St Andrews Way Fife Pilgrim in Path and http://www.whithornway.org/ which is under construction. This 149 mile route takes you to Glasgow to Whithorn where St Ninian preached.
Leaving the historic City of Glasgow this route takes you on a historical journey through towns and villages, were you can walk on beautiful beaches. Scotland has so much to offer on long distance walks and Pilgrimage routes.

Hi, I live in Scotland as well as having walked in Spain, Austria etc. You will find the St Magnus Way and Fife Coastal Paths in detail on my blog plus the Berwickshire Coastal Path in parts. I haven't yet walked the St Andrews for the reasons the man above states. There are of course Airbnb and such places to stay if you do a lot of research, and you can camp as I did on Orkney if you can carry everything - technically you can pitch (and walk) anywhere in Scotland. May and Sep are the best months. Walking without a donkey is my blog name. Let me know if you try, and come and stay if you blow through Edinburgh!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
check out "Darwin on the trail" in youtube. He was just there and he has a few videos about the trail.
Darwin did a backpacking challenge called The TGO Challenge. It’s a cross country hike. Looked intense!. I don’t think that was the St Andrew’s Way hike.

Hi Sophie,
Happy to help.
Firstly I would point you in the direction of the ‘Fife Coast & Countryside Trust" website. They manage the two long distance footpaths in Fife. The online info is accurate and up to date.
Climate - the reason our landscape is green is because is rains a fair bit.
The St. Andrews Way is a recently opened route. It hasn’t yet bedded in and has little in the way of infrastructure supporting Pilgrims. The tracks etc are ancient but the Way is new. There are no dedicated Pilgrim overnight stops or bunkhouses as we call them here. Sad to say that there are few coffee stops enroute. Meeting a fellow pilgrim is a rare thing. I met one group of 6 and later a sole Walker, that apart, solitude. I would describe way marking as "quirky". For some reason the way is marked with very small signs and sometimes, to keep you on your toes, use a variation.
The Fife Coastal Way is a long established walk. Directions are simple - keep the sea on your right hand side,but there is also very good signing. There is much more in the way of infrastructure as you are passing through many more (fishing) villages which have, cafes, hotels, B&B’s etc. (Sorry still no bunkhouses).
Both walks can be started in North Queensferry and finished in St. Andrews.
i have walked both routes and would, without a shadow of a doubt, recommend the Coastal route.
I hope this helps. If you need any further info please get in touch.
Dael
This is a great deal of help @Dael ....I suspected there would be rain, but are there milder/warmer months that may work better than others, or recommendations for months to avoid ( because of tourism crowds, big festivals consuming accommodations, feasts, etc ? ) I was looking at the Fife Coastal Way and your response puts me in the direction of researching that route more. Thank you !

Hi, I live in Scotland as well as having walked in Spain, Austria etc. You will find the St Magnus Way and Fife Coastal Paths in detail on my blog plus the Berwickshire Coastal Path in parts. I haven't yet walked the St Andrews for the reasons the man above states. There are of course Airbnb and such places to stay if you do a lot of research, and you can camp as I did on Orkney if you can carry everything - technically you can pitch (and walk) anywhere in Scotland. May and Sep are the best months. Walking without a donkey is my blog name. Let me know if you try, and come and stay if you blow through Edinburgh!
Thank you...not much of a camper for medical reasons, so you info is quite useful. I'll be sure to look up " Walking without a donkey" Much appreciation @Tamsin Grainger

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is a great deal of help @Dael ....I suspected there would be rain, but are there milder/warmer months that may work better than others, or recommendations for months to avoid ( because of tourism crowds, big festivals consuming accommodations, feasts, etc ? ) I was looking at the Fife Coastal Way and your response puts me in the direction of researching that route more. Thank you !
Re months to avoid: Midges and how to avoid them… - Walking advice from Walk Fife
And your new hat...
87999BC0-7F9F-4E89-A254-1C2FB86ADE9C.jpeg

Re months to avoid: Midges and how to avoid them… - Walking advice from Walk Fife
I lived a substantial chunk of my life in Fife and just across the border in Clackmannanshire. Midges are not a major problem there in summer. There are some around but not the vast clouds that you find on the west coast and parts of the Highlands.

There are many Pilgrim routes in Scotland.
St Magnus Way. St Cuthberts Way, St Andrews Way Fife Pilgrim in Path and http://www.whithornway.org/ which is under construction. This 149 mile route takes you to Glasgow to Whithorn where St Ninian preached.
Leaving the historic City of Glasgow this route takes you on a historical journey through towns and villages, were you can walk on beautiful beaches. Scotland has so much to offer on long distance walks and Pilgrimage routes.
The end of the Whithorn Way is not far away from my home (40 miles or so) and knowing that village and the coast I have wanted to walk it. The obstacle to date is the lack of accommodation in the latter stages. Holiday cottages to be rented by the week are plentiful but not overnight stay beds. I believe that this problem is being looked into. Should anyone be planning to walk this route, carrying a good Ordnance Survey map for the later stages in what is known as the Machars, will ensure you can visit hill forts, cup and ring marked stones, perhaps the wonderful bay where there is a bronze statue of an otter in memory of local author Gavin Maxwell. This can be remote, but magical country steeped in history and with abundant wildlife.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The end of the Whithorn Way is not far away from my home (40 miles or so) and knowing that village and the coast I have wanted to walk it. The obstacle to date is the lack of accommodation in the latter stages. Holiday cottages to be rented by the week are plentiful but not overnight stay beds. I believe that this problem is being looked into. Should anyone be planning to walk this route, carrying a good Ordnance Survey map for the later stages in what is known as the Machars, will ensure you can visit hill forts, cup and ring marked stones, perhaps the wonderful bay where there is a bronze statue of an otter in memory of local author Gavin Maxwell. This can be remote, but magical country steeped in history and with abundant wildlife.

I would agree, Guest House/Hotel accommodation after Girvan, are thin on the ground. There are camping sites, with clamping pods, near Barrhill. Most Pilgrims use the Taxi services to get picked up and dropped off at the beginning of their next stage. Directional road signs are now in place for the Dumfries and Galloway Region, with waymarker signs being erected next week. There is also an App being developed showing Historical sites, but also accommodation and Taxi numbers. Even with signage a good OS map is invaluable. There is also a worthwhile guide book written by Julia Muir Watt of the Whithorn Trust. That is a good buy, with lots of information and maps. https://www.whithorn.com/product/the-whithorn-guide-book/

Last edited:
And your new hat...
View attachment 65682
Midges tend to lay low if there is more than a light breeze. If you are drawn to the Coastal walk you are pretty sure of breezes and, at times, stronger winds. I don’t think they will present much of a problem.
Our climate is best described as ‘variable’. Personally I prefer May for walking, but carry waterproofs. From June onward it gets a bit warmer. School holidays normally fall July/August and last 6 weeks so that I suppose is peak season.
Don‘t hesitate to contact me if you would like more info.
Dael

I would agree, Guest House/Hotel accommodation after Girvan, are thin on the ground. There are camping sites, with clamping pods, near Barrhill. Most Pilgrims use the Taxi services to get picked up and dropped off at the beginning of their next stage. Directional road signs are now in place for the Dumfries and Galloway Region, with waymarker signs being erected next week. There is also an App being developed showing Historical sites, but also accommodation and Taxi numbers. Even with signage a good OS map is invaluable. There is also a worthwhile guide book written by Julia Muir Watt of the Whithorn Trust. That is a good buy, with lots of information and maps. https://www.whithorn.com/product/the-whithorn-guide-book/
Thank you @Gerard Murdoch for the link. I have just ordered the book.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
I have just walked the Via della Costa, and posted the following conclusion from my walk on my blog at www.followingyourfeet.com. As this is not a walk that seems very popular I thought I would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.