• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Augustine's Camino

onwayhome

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Ponferrada-Santiago,(c1986)
Frances SJPP-Santiago (2011)
Portuguese Porto- Finisterre (2016)
St Michaels Way (2016)
Saint Augustine's Camino goes from Rochester Cathedral to the shrine of St Augustine in Ramsgate, via Canterbury, a total of 67miles (108 Km) spread over seven days using the suggested stages. Although recently developed, the walk visits places rich in pilgrim history, current centres of contemplation and passes through some stunning Kent countryside.

Highlights for me included enjoying a filling breakfast in the medieval pilgrim hall at Aylesford priory, walking alongside reedbeds and waterways alive with frog and bird calls in the Stodmarsh nature reserve, sitting in the deep candle lit silence in Canterbury Cathedral Crypt and seeing the largest vineyard in England being created in the shelter of the North Downs.

There's a guidebook and pilgrim passport available from augustinecamino.co.uk which has colour photos, large scale maps and clear route descriptions that mostly succeed in the difficult task of giving enough information without getting bogged down in detail. The route is almost entirely on public footpaths with some walking on minor roads here and there. In some places these paths are little used and might need a bit of opening up. I used GPS several times while crossing large fields where the path had been ploughed away and for deciding on unmarked woodland paths. There is a GPX file available for download from the excellent British Pilgrimage Trust website, though this differs from the guidebook route in places so it's a good idea to compare them before setting off.

The challenge with most English routes is the lack of pilgrim orientated infrastructure and this is no exception, though there are some budget accommodation options. Unusually there is also the possibility of bag transport, support and pre booking of places to stay available via the website.

I enjoyed walking this very much, many thanks to thank Andrew and Paula Kelly for all their work in developing and supporting the route.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for this report. I am considering doing this pilgrimage later this year when I will be visiting family in England as an alternative to one of the shorter Camino de Santiago routes.

Did you get your accommodation booked? And other activities? And did you get your bag transported? I would be interested in how well these things were done?

Thank you for this report. I am considering doing this pilgrimage later this year when I will be visiting family in England as an alternative to one of the shorter Camino de Santiago routes.

Did you get your accommodation booked? And other activities? And did you get your bag transported? I would be interested in how well these things were done?
I decided to make my own arrangements for accommodation ( booked via a mix of phone and booking.com) and carry a light-ish pack so can't comment on how the organised booking and transport side works out. Andrew Kelly is behind the organising, he was helpful to me and seemed very approachable if you wanted to talk any arrangements through with him. (Contact him via the website).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Doug, I am headed to this Camino mid-July....

Doug, I am headed to this Camino mid-July....
I would be interested to know how it goes for you. I have contacted Andrew Kelly and already have some information about doing this in late autumn, and it is starting to look like a good option from a family perspective even if my personal preference would be to walk one of the Camino de Santiago routes.

I would be interested to know how it goes for you. I have contacted Andrew Kelly and already have some information about doing this in late autumn, and it is starting to look like a good option from a family perspective even if my personal preference would be to walk one of the Camino de Santiago routes.

Will do. I have everything ready to go. Should be an interesting British Camino :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I decided to make my own arrangements for accommodation ( booked via a mix of phone and booking.com) and carry a light-ish pack so can't comment on how the organised booking and transport side works out. Andrew Kelly is behind the organising, he was helpful to me and seemed very approachable if you wanted to talk any arrangements through with him. (Contact him via the website).
I have just bought the book. Any advice? Did you stay anywhere memorable. I am planning my camino and would appreciate any tips

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm considering this for next year.
And I wonder if you ended up walking it, @dougfitz ?
I start walking on 14 Dec, and expect to finish on the 20th.

I am currently in Germany doing an organized tour with my wife. Unfortunately I had a tumble a couple of days ago, and my new knee took the worst of it. Anything involving steps is now particularly difficult. That isn't great right now but hopefully won't hold me back too much once I start walking. All the daily distances but one should be okay, and I might have to find a nice pub somewhere to break up the long day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Doug,

I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of your holiday with your wife and have a quick and complete recovery.

Mike

Doug have you started the Augustine camino? I am hoping you are well enough to do this as I am keen to hear about it.

Yup, get better soon, Doug! And keep us posted about your adventures!

I bet we are hearing all about it when the Camino Meetings restart in Canberra next year :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Doug have you started the Augustine camino? I am hoping you are well enough to do this as I am keen to hear about it.
I have walked four stages and I am currently at Faversham. Tomorrow's stage is to Canterbury. Then two more stages to Ramsgate.

It is quite different to the pilgrimage walks I have done before on many levels. Part of that is personal, part because it is so late in autumn, and part because one has to use commercial accommodation. I will try and put something together once I have finished and had time to reflect.

What I will say is that Andrew Kelly, author of the guide I am using, has done the bookings and provides daily support messages. This has taken a lot off my mind. It is not essential to do it this way. That said, he provides a great service and so far it has been worth it.

Everything here seems to conspire against setting a reasonable pace. There were 70 kph wind gusts on the first day just getting away from Rochester, and every day since has seen muddy fields, stiles of diverse robustness, but all a real test for my replacement knee, and woodland paths covered with wet fallen leaves that hide the mud underneath.

Adapting to these conditions has been a challenge. It should be no surprize that most of the specific advice one might expect for a summer pilgrimage in Spain isn't going to be applicable - the underlying principles need to be applied, just to a different set of conditions.

Ps. Thank you all for your moral support.

Hi there, @dougfitz!
...muddy fields, climbing fences, gale force winds, the wonder of woodland paths -Yes! That sounds like England...

Delighted to see you're back on the trail, Doug. Sorry to hear about the bung knee, though.

Can't wait to read more...

Cheers
your avid fan...
LK

I finished the Augustine Camino today with a personal tour of the Pugin designed neo-Gothic St Augustine's Church in Ramsgate.

I suspect it won't be until I get back home that I will be ready to share my thoughts about it in any detail.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I finished the Augustine Camino today with a personal tour of the Pugin designed neo-Gothic St Augustine's Church in Ramsgate.

I suspect it won't be until I get back home that I will be ready to share my thoughts about it in any detail.

Well done, Doug, and congratulations. How is your knee holding up?

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.