• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Cirq Detour on Voie Cele

John Saxon

Time of past OR future Camino
Invierno 2023
Will be walking Le Puy in May and taking the Voie Cele between Figeac and Cahors.

Would really like to make a detour to visit St. Cirq on the day that I would walk between Cabrerets and Pasturat (before continuing next day to Cahors).

If I walk down the GR 36 from Bouzies to St. Cirq and retrace my steps back to Bouzies and on to Pasturat, that would make it a 25.9 km day.

Wondering, though, if I can walk along some back roads that parallel the D8 from St. Cirq and intersect with the D8 not far from where the GR 36 intersects the D8 and then continue on GR 36 to Pasturat, which would be 20.4 km and save myself 5.5 km.

Has anyone walked this GR 36 shortcut from St. Cirq toward Cahors (avoiding the Bouzies loop)? Pros/cons?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am almost hesitant to reply to you question because I don't have the answer. And my memory is a little muddled because I have taken variants from the GR65 twice. Once to visit Saint-Cirq and the second time to visit Rocamadour. What I do remember is that one of these charming villages was mobbed with visitors on the weekend. Busloads of tourists. And I think it was Saint-Cirq. This was a little disappointing after the tranquility of the GR65.

Bon chemin.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Has anyone walked this GR 36 shortcut from St. Cirq toward Cahors (avoiding the Bouzies loop)? Pros/cons?

I think that would be totally workable, just keep in mind that those roads tend to be windy with little-to-no-shoulder. If you're comfortable with that, it would probably serve your purposes.

The more common ways to trim a little distance in this stretch involve retired train bridges. For example, it's possible to split onto a train bridge just after Conduché, bypass Bouzies, and save 1.2km. You can also save a chunk of kms by following the train bridge that leads eventually into Saint-Géry, near Pasturat. Those options aren't for everyone; they involve short, sharp ascents and descents to/from the old train bridges, and overgrown thornbushes can be a problem on the latter. So, trickier footing in places than your road option, but no cars.

1650035755994.png

Are these the back roads you had in mind? Via Mas de Girval and Lapeyre? Looks perfectly doable to me, and would save a lot of time. I advise a good map though, those French country roads all look the same after a while! If you can, get hold of the IGN (Institut Geographique National) 1:25000 map, 2138 OT, Cahors, St-Cirq-Lapopie, Vallees du Lot et du Cele

I second Dave's comments on the old railway bridges - the approaches are steep and very overgrown.

View attachment 122790

Are these the back roads you had in mind? Via Mas de Girval and Lapeyre? Looks perfectly doable to me, and would save a lot of time. I advise a good map though, those French country roads all look the same after a while! If you can, get hold of the IGN (Institut Geographique National) 1:25000 map, 2138 OT, Cahors, St-Cirq-Lapopie, Vallees du Lot et du Cele

I second Dave's comments on the old railway bridges - the approaches are steep and very overgrown.
Yes. That's pretty much what I have in mind. I have a good on-line GPS map of the area (used to be known as Windy Maps).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will be walking Le Puy in May and taking the Voie Cele between Figeac and Cahors.

Would really like to make a detour to visit St. Cirq on the day that I would walk between Cabrerets and Pasturat (before continuing next day to Cahors).

If I walk down the GR 36 from Bouzies to St. Cirq and retrace my steps back to Bouzies and on to Pasturat, that would make it a 25.9 km day.

Wondering, though, if I can walk along some back roads that parallel the D8 from St. Cirq and intersect with the D8 not far from where the GR 36 intersects the D8 and then continue on GR 36 to Pasturat, which would be 20.4 km and save myself 5.5 km.

I did walk it. Stayed in the gite in St Cirq which was lovely. St Cirq itself is pretty.
It was quiet when we passed through during the week, but full of tourist shops and at the weekend it is heaving with hordes of tourists. It is not my kind of place...I can't remember the route I took the next day....sorry...

Definitely recommend Pech Merle Cave visit on way. Absolutely fabulous. Book well ahead as nos limited.
I just checked my planner. I walked St Cirq to Pasturat 15.5 km ( via chemin de halage) and then 18 km to Cahors.

Last edited:
I walked from Saint Cirq to Bouzies via the beautifull chemin de halage, on the River side, and than to Pasturat. Very wonderful walk and highly recomendable!
By the way, you can see the trail on the maps https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Apologies for not answering your specific question but can you add an extra day? I took the GR36 from Bouzies to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie where I stayed the night. As with a lot of touristy places, it was lovely to wander around after the day-trippers had left. It was not voted one of the prettiest villages in France for no reason!
Rather than backtracking, I followed the trail until it met up with the GR65 just before Bach, stayed at the convent in Vaylats (22km) then on to Cahors (24km) the next day.

Apologies for not answering your specific question but can you add an extra day? I took the GR36 from Bouzies to Saint-Cirq-Lapopie where I stayed the night. As with a lot of touristy places, it was lovely to wander around after the day-trippers had left. It was not voted one of the prettiest villages in France for no reason!
Rather than backtracking, I followed the trail until it met up with the GR65 just before Bach, stayed at the convent in Vaylats (22km) then on to Cahors (24km) the next day.
Thanks, Julie. Would rather not continue to Bach with extra day or two. Looks like I can go on the GR 36 toward Bach and then swing west on back roads to pick up the GR 36 when it runs alongside the D8. Adds only a few km vs walking from Cabrerets to Pasturat without St. Cirq.

Hi John,
We walked the lovely Cele variant from Figeac, spending two nights there first to enjoy a day train trip to Rocamadour. Next our overnights included staying in d'Espagnac, then on to Marcilhac for the night with its awesome abbey ruins; Cabrerets the next night. The following morning we walked on to the delightful Saint Cirq for lunch and exploring for a few hours before continuing on to Arcambel(near Pasturat) for the night, ending the variant in Cahors. I do not have a memory of taking any shortcuts on roads.
You will love the Cele and we saw very few people walking it in mid-June.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back