• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Declans Way Ireland

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That looks like an interesting walk. I wish I'd known about it when we were in Ireland earlier this year, as it would have been a nice break to have walked at least a bit of it.

There seems to a be growing trend among Camino de Santiago veterans to find similar pilgrim walks in their own countries. My wife and I, along with a few others, recently walked a pilgrimage route here in the US called El Camino del Norte a Chimayo, from San Luis, Colorado to Chimayo, New Mexico, a distance of 115 miles/ 185 km.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
this may be a good place to start your research
Buen camino

http://galteewalkingclub.ie/stdeclansway/index.html
Thanks for the link. I'm not sure when or if I'll ever get back to Ireland, but if and when I do, this will be on my list of things to do while there.

By the way, Deise, I notice you're from Waterford. We visited a friend in Waterford and had a nice hike along the River Suir up to Carrick one day while we were there.

Last edited:
Did this last year-walked the entire length of it over the August bank holiday weekend and met absolutely no other walkers. Really beautiful walk through stunning and ancient part of Ireland. Would definitely recommend it to all-just stay away from the silly book written about it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That looks like an interesting walk. I wish I'd known about it when we were in Ireland earlier this year, as it would have been a nice break to have walked at least a bit of it.

There seems to a be growing trend among Camino de Santiago veterans to find similar pilgrim walks in their own countries. My wife and I, along with a few others, recently walked a pilgrimage route here in the US called El Camino del Norte a Chimayo, from San Luis, Colorado to Chimayo, New Mexico, a distance of 115 miles/ 185 km.
Will you direct/re-direct me, and my family regarding the US Camino and any albergue reading a can do? I would love to do with my husband and 13 year old, thank you! Teresa

St Declans Way is an ancient pilgrimage route linking the 5th century monastery of St. Declan in Ardmore, County Waterford with Cashel in County Tipperary.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6oRt5Or3X0

For info http://galteewalkingclub.ie/stdeclansway/index.html

I had to to turn my eyes from the Beauty...
It reasonated long after the image was seen.
Like?
A soaring Hymm echoes achingly after the voices have ceased...
The vibratto imprinted on the soul after the song
A ,Reverent silence of spirit awaits.
Such beauty.. must be paid Homage,..
A happy tear and a smile must suffice.
Sad payment from a wandering man...
But this Ever Green Land will understand.

Thank you for Uploading!

Like?

Thank you for Uploading!
As ever,beautiful words.thank you for warming my early morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Like?

Thank you for Uploading!

A "like" does not do justice - thank you

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would definitely recommend it to all-just stay away from the silly book written about it.
thanks - just to say the book " Along St Declans Way " by Siobhan Lincoln was a great help to me. Maybe this is not the book you mean.
Buen camino

thanks - just to say the book " Along St Declans Way " by Siobhan Lincoln was a great help to me. Maybe this is not the book you mean.
Buen camino

Deise-sincere apologies as I should have thought about this before I commented on your post. Foot in mouth disease but was so delighted to see this fantastic walk mentioned on this forum, that I got a bit carried away. You are correct, the book I was referring to is certainly not Siobhan Lincoln's book.

[QUOTE="epona2011, post: 352310, member: 12324
the book I was referring to is certainly not Siobhan Lincoln's book.[/QUOTE]

No apology needed - thanks for clarification

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Deise, what a beautiful video, thank you for sharing it. I have checked the Galteewalkingclub link and I would love to do this walk some day. The book by Siobhan Lincoln, is it a guidebook?

Hi Deise, what a beautiful video, thank you for sharing it. I have checked the Galteewalkingclub link and I would love to do this walk some day. The book by Siobhan Lincoln, is it a guidebook?
Siobhan Lincoln was a retired teacher who spent years researching the St Declan Way and in particular the Irish language place-names and local history to go with them. I believe it may be out of print.

Never heard of this route...off to look it up!
Is there a guidebook?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lovely - though it needs more pilgrims to flatten some of those paths!!

This is me on St Kevin's Way in Wicklow over seven! years ago now, though time restraints I only had a short time on there. Eire is so utterly beautiful, I don't know why I don't go again.

We really wanted to walk this but couldn't figure out how to get to a starting point and walk back to Glendaloch (okay I might have spelled that wrong). We were using our feet, thumb, and the buses to move about Ireland.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St. Declan's Way has recently been rejuvenated. It will be waymarked all the way from Ardmore to Cashel later this year (2018 - all the Waterford side has been done at time of writing). The work is being undertaken following initiatives by Knockmealdown Active in Tipperary and Knockmealdown Forum in Waterford. There are no maps yet, but should be later this year. From March to July 2018 Knockmealdown Active is organising walks of the 5 stages on the last Saturday of each month.

Excellent! This upgrading of the old pilgrim ways has been going on for some 17 years in Ireland - those good people. The first one finished was St. Kevin's Way, an 18 miler. I think that Sli Mhor may be the last one but am most likely wrong (I usually am!).

A fine country to walk in, Ireland, the people alone, let alone the countryside. = did I mention real Guinness??

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, I'm heading to St. Declan's Way in about a week. Is it okay to camp with a small tent anywhere? Are there rules about tenting on private property (or church grounds, etc.) in Ireland? I haven't found maps, guidebooks or other resources for this path other than the link posted a few times above and the route on WayFinder. Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning. After having walked, 3 (Frances, VdlP, CP and Fisterra) Camino to Santiago, we thought that this year we should ‘experience’ another Way. So in a few short days we fly off to Italy...
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/22/italy-tourists-cinque-terre-one-way-hiking-trails/
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.