• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean - Burgos Burgos - Leon Leon - Santiago. Which Is Best Section?

Which is your preferred section

• Total voters

Lance Chambers

Lance Chambers
Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria (2015), SJPdP (2016), Burgos (2017), SJPdP (2018), Burgos (2019), SJPdP (2020?).
Just wondering which section of the three listed in the title of the post did you find the most enjoyable and why?

Mine was Leon - Santiago

and the reason was that I preferred the landscapes, amenities, food, and companions I made on the last leg to Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Lance, I loved the Meseta.

Most of the day's I walked alone and that was a great feeling.

Wish you well, Peter.

I can well understand your choice. When I did the Meseta it was rather too hot for me but that did not detract from Castrojerez and Fromista where I stayed for 2 rest days because of the restaurants in town. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Got to love the Meseta in Autumn, at the end of it I was walking with a lady and we came across a green irrigated field. It was the first green for days and days and we laughed because it hurt our eyes! The lack of colour kind of rests the brain somehow.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I didn't find any particular section more enjoyable than another.

None of it stands out as being particularly remarkable.

I probably wouldn't travel from Canada to walk just one section of the three. All or nothing, thanks.

I would mot be surprised if people's responses are coloured (yes I am English) by what time of the year they travelled, what the weather was like, who they encountered, any health problems and many other factors. Personally I am sure mine are also influenced by expectations and comparisons to previous Caminos.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved the Basque Country. Anxious to see if my choice remains the same traveling in the spring. Last time I went in the fall.

Every one different, every one magnificent in its own terms. I would not want to chose. Why, anyway?
Now, having walked many times the Frances, I'd present you with a variant of the original question. Which time was the better?
To me, the first. I did some equipment mistakes, had blisters and a bit of a knee problem. But the feeling of wonder, of discovery, of freedom, was matchless. I did enjoy my next times, but they were not the same.

That's a little like asking which is your favorite child :) I would vote for Burgos to Leon, although the first part through more of the Basque country was fantastic. I think that's what makes the Camino worth the effort. There is no bad part (as long as you don't mind being too hot, too cold, too wet, too dry, too hungry, too full, etc. It's the series of "toos" that make it just plain wonderful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The footsore legions leave after Burgos and it becomes less crowded. La Meseta is the magic part of the walk https://goo.gl/photos/VuywkvscBNZRvuMTA. I was so glad I saw this because I too was apprehensive of la Meseta. Remember the authors of these staged manuals are from 'green parts of the work and there descriptions are likely to infuse a bias towards forests and fields

I loved every step of it. The challenging and breathtakingly beautiful beginning filled with expectations and way too much stuff in one's pack. The middle with its endless vistas and grumpy pilgrims pushing themselves one step at a time as they wonder why, why, WHY are they doing this. And the end where everyone is happy again, or not, but stronger and wiser and lighter, hopefully kinder, and very, very grateful. :)Beginning_Middle_and_End.JPG

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.