• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean in April?

Beth-o

Time of past OR future Camino
(2014)
Realizing we can look online at temps and conditions from the past, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding our beginning from St. Jean PDP in early April? Is this wise? We do not want to be trekking through snow/ice.

Thanks in advance for any "intel."

Beth-o

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Realizing we can look online at temps and conditions from the past, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding our beginning from St. Jean PDP in early April? Is this wise? We do not want to be trekking through snow/ice.

Beth-o
I began my walk on April 7 2014 after watching weather for a year. I had 5 days of rain avg temp 28C mornings always cool. I have a freind who had walked it the year before who came home early due to endless days of rain.
So if you go just prepare for rain. I walked for 35 days strait, as I was a bit silly about if my body wasn't broke why not walk. Going over the pyranies there was drifted snow but nothing on a nice day to slow me down. That night a severe storm came thru, so basically do as the folks in SJPDP suggest.

One thing I left out when I go back with my wife it will be this same time of year. The reason is I like green & spring flowers. Not to mention the locals are fresh for the next season. Seems to be a happy crowd in the spring.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Beth-o
Hi, I begin my camino at the 18th of April this year and there was still snow in the Pyrenees. At the beginning of April there was still a lot of snow. They had to take the Valcarlos route. The temperature was good when I left Sjpdp. That was not the problem. Wish you a Buen Camino, Peter.

It is a coin flip on weather in early Spring. Your best bet is to pick a time that is convenient to you and just adjust accordingly. I left on March 23rd 2010 and 2011. There was no snow. The following years they had a lot. No matter what the conditions you can always adjust. Taking Val Carlos route or just start in Pamplona or Roncesvalles.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Beth-o

Mountain weather anywhere in the world is variable and the potential for bad weather must be a part of your estimate at any time of year.

You cross 3 mountain passes on the camino and the above rule of thumb has no exceptions.

I could tell you about the time when I got more than a foot of snow whilst hiking in New Zealand mountains in mid summer.

Last edited by a moderator:
..., does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions regarding our beginning from St. Jean PDP in early April? Is this wise? We do not want to be trekking through snow/ice. ...

Just the usual one: Take note of the advice given by the pilgrims office in SJPDP and follow it! Bon Chemin/Buen Camino! SY

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back