• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean Pied de Port - Estella April 2020 with Teenagers

Washie

Time of past OR future Camino
CP Coastal/Central 2019/22/23
CF 2020
Muxia 2023
Hello.
After a successful short Camino Portugues from Vigo to Santiago in April 2019, with a 16 year old, I've decided to take the rest of the family on part of the first stage of the Camino Frances in April 2020. I will be travelling with my husband and a 16 year old, a 14 year old and a 12 year old. All fitter than I am, and I managed 20km per day with no blisters for a week last year. Flights are already booked to Biarritz and we will stay the first night in St. Jean Pied de Port.

My concerns are:
- Weather in early April. Should I plan now to do the walk to Roncesvalles via Orisson or Valcarlos? I want to stop at one or the other as I believe there are too many of us (10 potential feet with blisters) to assume we can walk all the way to Roncevalles the first day.

- Will we need heavy coats if we take the Valcarlos route in early April or will ponchos over layers suffice?

- We are not taking sleeping bags as we are travelling with 20 litre rucksacks only. (This worked well last year. Having to stay in more pricey Albergues with linen is off set by the fact we have no check in baggage.) Does anyone have recommendations of Albergues / Hostels that have bedding and are not too expensive in SJPDP/Orisson/Valcarlos / Roncesvalles / Zubiri / Pamplona / Puente de la Reina?
- Should we book accommodation ahead as 5 may not get beds in the same accommodation?

Travelling April 7th - 14th.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That sounds like a lot of fun and the distance is perfect. Estella is wonderful place to stop and get back to civilization on a bus.
Early April can be very iffy. The pass over the mountains should be open but you need to check with the Pilgrim's Office before you set out. Several years ago they had the heaviest snow fall in May for 3 weeks in a row.
Me, I would suggest, if you can't or don't want to stay at Orrison, then reserve something on the Valcarlos and not try to get to Roncevalles on your first day. There are quite few places that would have rooms with linen services along that route.
In Roncevalles, you have the La Postale but why no stay at the albergue?
In Zubiri there is the Palo Avelleno with no linens but a good communal dinner, there are some hotels on the main road and at that time of the year should not be crowded. It is possible Palo Avelleno will take a reservation for you for dinner.
Pamplona, I usually stay at the Eslava, they have a good breakfast and are a half a block off of the Camino on the way out of town.
In Puente de la Reina the Jakue has a mix of accommodations and a descent dinner and breakfast.
In Estella I have stayed the Hotel Christina which is on the town square. If you stick around until Thursday they have a very lively farmer's market and roast suckling pig is the feature in most restaurants for the menu del dia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
- Should we book accommodation ahead as 5 may not get beds in the same accommodation?

Travelling April 7th - 14th.

I don't usually recommend booking too much in advance but since you will be walking during Semana Santa and you have five people as you said and your itinerary is short and seems fairly fixed, I'd probably book all nights in advance for peace of mind.

That sounds like a lot of fun and the distance is perfect. Estella is wonderful place to stop and get back to civilization on a bus.
Early April can be very iffy. The pass over the mountains should be open but you need to check with the Pilgrim's Office before you set out. Several years ago they had the heaviest snow fall in May for 3 weeks in a row.
Me, I would suggest, if you can't or don't want to stay at Orrison, then reserve something on the Valcarlos and not try to get to Roncevalles on your first day. There are quite few places that would have rooms with linen services along that route.
In Roncevalles, you have the La Postale but why no stay at the albergue?
In Zubiri there is the Palo Avelleno with no linens but a good communal dinner, there are some hotels on the main road and at that time of the year should not be crowded. It is possible Palo Avelleno will take a reservation for you for dinner.
Pamplona, I usually stay at the Eslava, they have a good breakfast and are a half a block off of the Camino on the way out of town.
In Puente de la Reina the Jakue has a mix of accommodations and a descent dinner and breakfast.
In Estella I have stayed the Hotel Christina which is on the town square. If you stick around until Thursday they have a very lively farmer's market and roast suckling pig is the feature in most restaurants for the menu del dia.
Thank you Biarritzdon. I think I will pay to bring a bag on the flight with 5 sleeping bags or buy them in St Jean Pied de Port afterall. It may be nice to stay in the traditional albergues and many, as you say, seem to offer good value dinners or cooking facilities.

Sounds like fun! Personally, I'd probably begin in Roncesvalles. Will the pass be open in April?
Thanks for your reply. Yes, depending on the weather, that might be the more sensible option rather than walking on the road via Valcarlos. After a bit of research today, I definitely won't go the mountain route because of the steep ascent/descent and the cold, even if it is open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi We walked in march/April 2018 with our two kids and no sleeping bags.

Currently walking now so don't recall all the places but will try

Sjpd la Villa Espobda, just before the old town, beds for 4, a kitchenette and bathroom

Day 1 sjpdp to Roncesvalles - the posh hotel others will help with the name, had kitchen bathroom 2 BR, can't remember the cost, they might be able to put another bed in there?

Day 2 Ronces. To Zubiri, 4 person room sheets included at Palo avellendo. Lovely evening meal

Puenta La Reina, found a place on booking.com, an apartment on the Camino, it was lovely. Double bed, bunk beds plus another sofa bed in the lounge. It was called Ganbara

Estella - Agoura hostel, sheets provided, private room for 4.

Hope that helps

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi We walked in march/April 2018 with our two kids and no sleeping bags.

Currently walking now so don't recall all the places but will try

Sjpd la Villa Espobda, just before the old town, beds for 4, a kitchenette and bathroom

Day 1 sjpdp to Roncesvalles - the posh hotel others will help with the name, had kitchen bathroom 2 BR, can't remember the cost, they might be able to put another bed in there?

Day 2 Ronces. To Zubiri, 4 person room sheets included at Palo avellendo. Lovely evening meal

Puenta La Reina, found a place on booking.com, an apartment on the Camino, it was lovely. Double bed, bunk beds plus another sofa bed in the lounge. It was called Ganbara

Estella - Agoura hostel, sheets provided, private room for 4.

Hope that helps
Gumba, This is most helpful. Thank you so much. What a memory you have. Just goes to show how memorable Caminos are. I also remember every detail of everywhere I stayed last year on the the final part of the Camino Portugues. I think I might pack sleeping bags after all, but am glad to have options and recommendations in case of injury, difficult teenagers, or budget issues. It is all going to be good and new regardless!

Glad to help. Cost wise, it is almost as cheap to get a room as stay in an albergue when traveling with a family

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back