• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean Pied de Port - how and where to go from the station

bernhd

Hi all,

I'm planning to go to St Jean by night train; I should reach the station on Sunday, 25 Oct at 9:37am. My questions are:
1. where should I go from there to get my pilgrim passport? (how far is the pilgrim office from the station?)
2. would I reach Roncesvalles too late if I set to my journey right away?

I just decided on walking the camino last week, so I don't really know what to expect. Hope some kind people would let me tag along!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi I can't tell you how to get there from the station (i'm sure many others can) but you need to go to the pilgrim's office to get a passport and lots of other advice and help!They will also be able to tell you whether it's worth walking over the mountains that day (time and weather depending).
There is probably time to walk to Roncevalles if you're fit and quick but I'm not sure you will really want to. It might be nicer to acclimatize a bit, take some time to look around St Jean, start spotting and talking to other pilgrims and start walking the next day when you're feeling fresher. But it's a personal choice I guess!

Hi
10 minutes its all uphill from the station and then into the old town and keep going uphill,its on the left -by then you will have met at least a dozen people see what the weather is like take advice-you have not prepared too much but you know your own body- 6 hours to reach Roncevalles before it even opens ( 4PM) i had trained for months and still booked into the place opposite the pilgrim office (spirit of chemin? ) and so glad I did-the main lesson learned on my camino was to slow down and enjoy.
buen Camino
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Go onto this website for a map from the station to town - map to Roncesvalles - advice about the walk to Roncesvalles etc. The Esprit du Chemin albergue will be closed but the pilgrims' office will advise you on where to stay - if you decide to stay over.
http://www.espritduchemin.org

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
From the train station to the pilgrim office:

Walking directions to 39 Rue de la Citadelle, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France
0.7 km – about 9 mins

Train Station
1. Head southeast on Rue du 11 Novembre toward Avenue Renaud 58 m
2. Turn right at Avenue Renaud 0.4 km
3. Turn left at D933/Rue du Trinquet 17 m
4. Turn right at Rue de France 9 m
5. Turn right to stay on Rue de France 0.1 km
6. Turn left at Rue de la Citadelle
Destination will be on the left 57 m
39 Rue de la Citadelle
64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back