• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean Pied de Port to Irun

ritaj

Time of past OR future Camino
We are planning to walk from St Jean Pied de Port to Irun in May 2013 and then from Irun to as far as we can go in our three weeks on the Camino del Norte. I'd love to hear from those who have walked from SJPP to Irun -- what it is like, where you stayed, thoughts of any kind. In addition, does anyone know about pack transport on this route and also on the Camino del Norte? We are far from young and bad backs in the past have forced us to use baggage transport on previous Caminos.

ritaj
ritaj
0-5 posts

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the reference to the guide book to the GR 10. We do know about that route and it is way too rugged for us. We understand from the folks in St. Jean Pied de Port that there is a low route to Irun that has a lot of road walking but is much more do-able for folks like us and would still like to hear from anyone who has walked it.

And I am still wondering about pack transport on the Camino del Norte. Does anyone know if there are companies doing that as there are between Le Puy and Santiago?

Ritaj

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
ritaj said:
....We understand from the folks in St. Jean Pied de Port that there is a low route to Irun that has a lot of road walking but is much more do-able for folks like us and would still like to hear from anyone who has walked it.....

Ritaj

Ritaj,

Perhaps this describes the French low route of which you have heard. >> http://www.aucoeurduchemin.org/spip/spip.php?rubrique617. It goes from SJPdP to Bidarray, Espelette, Ascain, and Irun. This French itinerary by Bernard Delhomme lists maps, lodgings and restaurants. Hope you find it useful!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret for that site -- it is terrific.

Now I await the information from someone who knows about backpack transport possibilities between either Saint Jean to Irun and/or on the Camino del Norte.

ritaj

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.