• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean Pied de Port - to - Roncesvalles by Napoleon Route

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

John Sikora has updated the video segment that I filmed for him of the step-by step walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, going over Napoleon Route. It is the first video of his Camino de Santiago Day by Day video series that he has re-edited. It now includes a couple of nifty graphics for each segment:
1. An altitude profile chart, with a marker that moves as the location of video progresses. John has managed to include the percentage grade of the incline or decline during the walk.
2. During the walk, the video shows the distance, in miles, along the way as the video progresses.
3. The video also shows the Brierley guide's stage map of the section walked, with a marker that moves in relation to the mileage covered.

The video's are done at 4k resolutions (1440p or 2160p), so the higher the resolution settings on the YouTube app, and on the computer or TV, the better the quality of the video. They can be viewed at standard and high definition settings, too.

Anyway, John is reworking his entire series, but you can take a look at this first one, and see what you think.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
John Sikora has updated the video segment that I filmed for him of the step-by step walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, going over Napoleon Route. It is the first video of his Camino de Santiago Day by Day video series that he has re-edited. It now includes a couple of nifty graphics for each segment:
1. An altitude profile chart, with a marker that moves as the location of video progresses. John has managed to include the percentage grade of the incline or decline during the walk.
2. During the walk, the video shows the distance, in miles, along the way as the video progresses.
3. The video also shows the Brierley guide's stage map of the section walked, with a marker that moves in relation to the mileage covered.

The video's are done at 4k resolutions (1440p or 2160p), so the higher the resolution settings on the YouTube app, and on the computer or TV, the better the quality of the video. They can be viewed at standard and high definition settings, too.

Anyway, John is reworking his entire series, but you can take a look at this first one, and see what you think.

This is really great, - one can almost feel the walk, a nice and inspiring return to a little tough walks and wonderful wievs 🍀

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Big ups for doing this, Dave and John.
Such great memories for me. I get the excitement all over again. The first time because it was the beginning of our great CF adventure, the second because it was the end of our via Podiensis.
Thanks
John

This was fun to view, Dave.
Well done.
Good memories!
Thanks!
Although, those 15% grades sure seemed like a lot more!😂👏👏

They are. Some short stretches are closer to 22%. I think that is why John added a '+' sign after the numeral '15'. I am thinking that the tool for measuring the grade's percentage used by John, topped out at 15%, and the '+' indicates that condition.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The day I left Saint-Jean (Tuesday, 2 Amy 2016) there was low cloud (visibility ahead less than 10 metres) from before Hunto and it cleared as I was going down through the forest. So, I was blissfully unaware how precipitous were the slopes to the side.

My vertigo was kicking in with the flyover at the beginning.

It was wonderful to see the journey on a good day, especially the panorama sweeps. And to have the Brierley map, the 2D satellite view and the elevation profile to follow. It was grand to see the location of the last (French) stamp van in its hollow just before the border. On my traverse it was attended by a large congregation: just as well there is no passport control. Coming from a sheep and cattle area (last seen during a walk on Wednesday just gone) I was fascinated by the curious and unconcerned attitude of the well woolled sheep along the high tops.

An suggestion meant in a constructive way: please stay with one measure: either miles and feet or kilometres and metres. Taking the few responses above as a guide, the greater (just) current use is km and m and this is how signage on the ground is as well as in Brierley.

So, John and Dave, thanks to you both and hope to see other sections in due course.

Kia kaha tatou (take care, be strong, get going when you can)

They are. Some short stretches are closer to 22%. I think that is why John added a '+' sign after the numeral '15'. I am thinking that the tool for measuring the grade's percentage used by John, topped out at 15%, and the '+' indicates that condition.
WHEW!
Now I feel a bit better...and ready to start again!!

Well, this video gave a PERFECT reason to do this first stage again. I did my first stage this past February and the Napoleon route was closed due to weather restrictions. This route seems to be much more beautiful and green. The other route was basically walk along the road and avoid cars and trucks.... Very, extremely dangerous too. Now, I can plan to make it again and try this way! Thank you! Well done!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It brought back great memories and I didn´t break sweat or get out of puff. What I had forgotten though is the traffic danger on the first few miles, made more obvious by the speed of the replay.

What I had forgotten though is the traffic danger on the first few miles, made more obvious by the speed of the replay.

The "speed up" does make interesting viewing.

I noted several times where there walkers were on both sides of the road. The rules in road codes I have seen include the following:
walk facing the oncoming traffic (left hand side in Europe);
where there the oncoming traffic is obscured (bend, wall, whatever) walk on the other side.

There are quite a few instances when John swapped sides for those circumstances.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The "speed up" does make interesting viewing.

I noted several times where there walkers were on both sides of the road. The rules in road codes I have seen include the following:
walk facing the oncoming traffic (left hand side in Europe);
where there the oncoming traffic is obscured (bend, wall, whatever) walk on the other side.

There are quite a few instances when John swapped sides for those circumstances.

It was me 'swapping sides' as I was doing the filming. :)

Generally, facing oncoming traffic is correct, but not an absolute for me while walking. Given a curve or a blind hill with narrow shoulders and roadway, swapping sides so that you are walking on the same side as traffic, will give a better angle of visibility for drivers to see you before they reach your location. Where you see me switch sides, it is at those types of situations where a car would not have a chance to see me until they were 'on me'. Especially when I was walking near to a severely angled curve, along a narrow shouldered road.

In those cases, I will chose the side of the road which favors having a car's driver seeing me well ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What I had forgotten though is the traffic danger on the first few miles, made more obvious by the speed of the replay.

The hyperspeed does increase the perception of the frequency and speed at which the cars are moving. Add to that the wider focal angle used to record the video which makes cars appear that they are closer to me than they actually were. . . in most instances, anyway. :)

When walking, I found it safer to sometimes stop and step further off the side of the road, which is sometimes difficult given ditches and fences, etc. Pausing and stopping for some cars, allowed me to keep my balance in stepping away from the road. I think a lot of drivers appreciated that courtesy, and it took very little time for me to pause my walk as the car passed by.

What amazed me, even after several Caminos, was seeing pilgrims walking side-by-side on a narrow road with cars transiting back and forth.

It was me 'swapping sides' as I was doing the filming. :)

Generally, facing oncoming traffic is correct, but not an absolute for me while walking. Given a curve or a blind hill with narrow shoulders and roadway, swapping sides so that you are walking on the same side as traffic, will give a better angle of visibility for drivers to see you before they reach your location. Where you see me switch sides, it is at those types of situations where a car would not have a chance to see me until they were 'on me'. Especially when I was walking near to a severely angled curve, along a narrow shouldered road.

In those cases, I will chose the side of the road which favors having a car's driver seeing me well ahead of time.
I grew up on the side of a hill, our rule was that we had to walk on the side of the road that would allow us to jump off the road if a car got too close. That was much better than being crushed between a car and a wall.

My last camino I had to walk on the inside of a very sharp curve. I was facing oncoming traffic but the curve and the hill it was going around kept visibility to a minimum. I got lucky and in the litter I found a bright orange nylon shopping bag. I tied it to the end of a stick and stuck them out over the road to give drivers a bit of a warning that someone (me) could be killed.

Later I washed the bag and hung it on the back of my pack. Since I had a small pack it usually held something.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just amazing and inspiring for me to focus and think 'Camino' positively. Big Thanks!
I will be watching again and in future filming. Genuine appreciaction.

Super video it takes me there and tells me what to expect. The whether is perfect, and I just hope I get some of it like that. I am planning to do the same Camino Frances in May 2021.
Just curious, when did you do this video?

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back