• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean Pied de Port

Norwegiandreamer

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de santiago (2016)
Hello. I am quite new to this and I am sure the answers already exists at this forum but if someone could answer I would be really happy.

I am planning on walking from St Jean de port to santiago from 1 March. Now i only have two weeks to plan everything. First of all, it is not too cold to walk from 1 march? Where shall I fly to? Do I need to order hotell from home? And the pilgrimpassport, where do I get this? And the money, I know it's individual, but approximately how much will it cost? Is there anything important that I need to prepare? The flight, shall I just order from santiago when I get there?

I am planning on having clothes for both warm and cold days. I really hope I can manage to do this, I feel that it is now I have the chance :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
First of all, it is not too cold to walk from 1 march? Where shall I fly to? Do I need to order hotell from home? And the pilgrimpassport, where do I get this? And the money, I know it's individual, but approximately how much will it cost? Is there anything important that I need to prepare? The flight, shall I just order from santiago when I get there?
Fly to Biarritz and take buses/trains to SJPdP. Hotel rooms will be available, but you may want to go to a site like booking.com and make a reservation. On March 1, you probably will have to take the Valcarlos route, so there will be an intermediate stopping point. Nothing will be open on the Route Napolean until Roncesvalles. Typically the cost is 30E per day, but it will be more if you stay hoteles/hostales. One way tickets can be much more expensive than round trip, so waiting until Santiago to buy a flight home may be expensive.

Hello. I am quite new to this and I am sure the answers already exists at this forum but if someone could answer I would be really happy.

I am planning on walking from St Jean de port to santiago from 1 March. Now i only have two weeks to plan everything. First of all, it is not too cold to walk from 1 march? Where shall I fly to? Do I need to order hotell from home? And the pilgrimpassport, where do I get this? And the money, I know it's individual, but approximately how much will it cost? Is there anything important that I need to prepare? The flight, shall I just order from santiago when I get there?

I am planning on having clothes for both warm and cold days. I really hope I can manage to do this, I feel that it is now I have the chance :)

Biarritz BIQ is closest airport to SJPdP
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

Chronoplus bus #14 from Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne
http://www.chronoplus.eu/

SNCF TER train 62 from Bayonne to SJPdP
http://www.ter.sncf.com/aquitaine

If you are short of time consider this route instead of bus #14:

Chronoplus bus #C from Anglet Airport to Gare Biarritz

SNCF TER train 61 from Biarritz to Bayonne

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Fly to Biarritz for sure I spent 3000 U.S. Dollars not counting air fare for 6 weeks. 7 days of that in Madrid waiting for my return flight.

I am planning on walking from St Jean de port to santiago from 1 March. ... Where shall I fly to?

Cheapflights shows several flights leaving Oslo on 1 March for Biarritz. Most had one stop, at Charles de Gaulle near Paris. One at NZD 300 with the rest at NZD 500. The time taken seemed quite long and some even longer than from New Zealand to Europe. Keeping in mind you final destination for the day is St Jean-Pied-de-Port (through Bayonne) while it is still light and you can find your way around you may wish to think of the earliest possible arrival in Biarritz.

And early arrival in Biarritz may mean leaving Oslo in the afternoon and resting at the stopover for the early morning flight onwards. Or staying the night in Biarritz/Bayonne.

And the pilgrimpassport, where do I get this?

I am not an expert on this. However, from posts on other threads I understand the Pilgrim Office in St Jean can provide information on this.

Buen Camino
Kia Kaha (be strong)

Are you really sure you want to start from SJPdP ? If this is your first camino and you walk alone, you may have a hard turn over the mountain from St. Jean to Roncesvalles with a lot of walking along a road with lot of traffic since the Napoleonroute is closed. If the weather is bad, not much to see either.
Well,, enough of grannytalk!
At the moment SAS and Norwegian has cheap tickets from Oslo to Madrid and Paris. From Paris you can take a train or flight to BAYONNE /Biarritz and from there to SPdP. From Madrid Barajas by bus or a flight to Pamplona from where you have to go by bus to Roncesvalles and taxi to SJPdP.
If you fly to Bilbao, search for tickets on finn.no, you can take a bus to Irun/Hendaye and train from Hendaye to Bayonne and SJPdP. Or you can take the bus to Pamplona and start there, that will give you an easier start on your camino.
If you want to get a pilgrimspass before you leave , you can buy one on pilgrimsfellesskapet St. Jacob , se www.pilegrim.no for address/phonenumber

or you can get one at the pilgrim office in Rue Citadelle i SJPdP or in the cathedral in Pamplona.
Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
When you arrive on SJPdP go to the Pilgrims' office of the Amis du Chemin de Saint Jacques at 39 rue de la Citadelle. They can provide you with a Pilgrim Passport/Credential and on site lodging assistance. Their telephone is 05 59 37 05 09. In season the pilgrims office is open from 7h30 to 12h30 and then from 13h30 to 22h. They keep up to the minute lists of ALL available space throughout the SJPdP area, both pilgrim albergues as well as tourist accommodation.

MM

I am planning on having clothes for both warm and cold days. I really hope I can manage to do this, I feel that it is now I have the chance

I imagine Norway as being cold during winter. And whether it is Kristiansand or Oslo you are still about 60 degrees north (and below freezing on Sunday night in both places). Your "warm and cold" might be more severe than many of us experience. I am quite sure you know, better than most, how to prepare for the conditions you may encounter during March in northern Spain.

One other thing that is relative number of times one has to climb up a hill on the Camino Frances. Doing hill climbs as part of your preparation over the next few weeks may help you greatly. Even though you will be invited to take the "low" route through Valcarlos on the first day there is still quite a hill to get up towards the end.

Finally in this avuncular advice: travel as light as you can. You will know what that means for you. @SYates gives good advice. I paraphrase: take as few of anything: stock up on the way: send home (or leave behind) that which is no longer useful.

Also, if you can travel light of spirit, heart and mind. If you can take time to smell the roses. There have been some recent posts that you might find useful.

Buen camino
Kia kaha (be strong)

Thank you so much for your help guys. This was so useful for me. Now I feel more prepared.

Do you know approximately how many days it will take? If I walk 6-8 hours every day? Less than 30, or more?

Do you know how much a flight ticket will cost If I wait to buy before I get to Santiago?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Do you know approximately how many days it will take? If I walk 6-8 hours every day? Less than 30, or more?

This questions is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string?"

There are guide books giving everything from 28 to 33 days. It's around 780 km. If you can average 5 km per hour over that distance and variable conditions then that works at 156 hours. If, as you say, 6-8 hours per day (average of 7 per day) then 22-23 days. If 4 km per hour average then 28 days. But these are arithmetic. Conditions, pathway and weather, may vary greatly ...

It really depends on whether your goal is to finish, to smell the roses, to take opportunities to tarry awhile because of some happening in the village/town you are going through, to keep with a some other pilgrims that you've come to appreciate and to walk at their pace for a few days, or whatever.

Buen camino
Kia Kaha (be strong)

Are you really sure you want to start from SJPdP ? If this is your first camino and you walk alone, you may have a hard turn over the mountain from St. Jean to Roncesvalles with a lot of walking along a road with lot of traffic since the Napoleonroute is closed. If the weather is bad, not much to see either.
Well,, enough of grannytalk!
At the moment SAS and Norwegian has cheap tickets from Oslo to Madrid and Paris. From Paris you can take a train or flight to BAYONNE /Biarritz and from there to SPdP. From Madrid Barajas by bus or a flight to Pamplona from where you have to go by bus to Roncesvalles and taxi to SJPdP.
If you fly to Bilbao, search for tickets on finn.no, you can take a bus to Irun/Hendaye and train from Hendaye to Bayonne and SJPdP. Or you can take the bus to Pamplona and start there, that will give you an easier start on your camino.
If you want to get a pilgrimspass before you leave , you can buy one on pilgrimsfellesskapet St. Jacob , se www.pilegrim.no for address/phonenumber

or you can get one at the pilgrim office in Rue Citadelle i SJPdP or in the cathedral in Pamplona.
Buen camino![/QUOTE
Hi Ranthr,
When will Napoleon route open?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thank you so much for your help guys. This was so useful for me. Now I feel more prepared.

Do you know how much a flight ticket will cost If I wait to buy before I get to Santiago?

Probably the best way to get a ballpark estimate of flight costs would be to find the service provider website and find out what it would cost if you were to purchase a ticket for a flight today.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back