• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean Pied de Porte to Burgos. -How long?

AMK1982

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago de Compostela August 2013
Hi!

I am planning my return to the Camino and I need help with estimating how long it will take me to walk from SJPdP to Burgos? I have planned to make a stop in Orisson meaning it will take me an additional day getting to Roncesvalles.

I walked Leon-Santiago (via Samos) in August in 12 days (could have done it in 11 days but wanted to stay with my Camino family) just to give you a sense of my walking pace.

I look farward to reading your answers and would like to thank you all for this amaxing forum that is packed with advice. I definitely arrived well prepared in Leon this summer thanks to all of you. :)

Br
Anita

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It will take you 12 days, more or less including one day to Roncesvalles:

From Roncesvalles to Burgos
The table shows stages, partial and cumulative distances, and lodgings.
Summary
Longest stage: Logroño - Nájera: 28.8 km.
Shortest stage: Zubiri - Pamplona: 20.7 km.
Total distance: 259.8 km.
Stages: 11.
Average: 23.6 km per walking day.
Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Roncesvalles - Zubiri 21.8 21.8 R, 2P, H
2) Zubiri - Pamplona 20.7 42.5 2R, A, H
3) Pamplona - Puente la Reina 23.5 66 R, 2P, C, H
4) Puente la Reina - Estella 22.2 88.2 3R, A, C, H
5) Estella - Los Arcos 21.1 109.3 R, 3P, H
6) Los Arcos - Logroño 27.9 137.2 2R, P, A, C, H
7) Logroño - Nájera 28.8 166 R, 4P, C, H
8) Nájera - Santo Domingo de la Calzada 20.9 186.9 2R, C, H
9) Santo Domingo de la Calzada - Belorado 23.4 210.3 R, 3P, H
10) Belorado - Agés 27.5 237.8 R, 2P
11) Agés - Burgos 22 259.8 3R, C, H
Abbreviations
R: pilgrims public hostel.
P: pilgrims private hostel.
A: youth hostel.
C: campsite.
H: hotel, hostel, guesthouse...
FR: off-route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Total distance SJPdP to Burgos is about 300 km. (Using Brierley's guide - 288 km) Assuming 20km per day so 15 days. With assumptions stated, this is a conservative estimate.

If you use Brierley's stages it would be 12 days, an estimate that bypasses Orisson.

I don't know how far you are willing to walk in a day so adjust accordingly.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi, @AMK1982 !

If you have walked this hot august from Leon to SdC (ca.320km) 12 days but could've done that in 11, that gives you average "speed" of 30km/day. Distance from SJPdP to Burgos is ca.290, so that would be 10 days then. Add additional day for stay at Orisson and you're at 11 days. This year you've had two major ups while for next year you'll have only (;)) one which you want to break in two days on the way to Roncesvalles, so I think that will be even easier. But also it depends on which period of the year you're planing your walk. My experience is that this first leg of CF is easier, but that's maybe because I've walked part of it twice and knew what to expect.

If you don't have strict time constrictions I would recommend whole two weeks to enjoy this beautiful start of CF through Navarra, La Rioja, Montes de Oca), its cities of Pamplona, tapas on Calle Laurel in Logrono and maybe some morcillas Burgos, ever changing landscape, architectural gems, some of the nicest albergues (Granon, Viloria de la Rioja,...) etc.etc.etc.

Ultreia!

Thank you so very much for your replies!

I walked Leon-Santiago in August and plan to return in August again so I know what kind of heat to expect. I also know that my stamina is okay and I enjoy walking long stretches. I guess the one thing I am wondering about is how hilly the terrain will be compared to the part I have already completed. Apart from the first two days it sounds like it is more flat than the last part of the Camino?

In theory I have 15 days but I would like to spend a few days in Barcelona if possible before returning to my stressful everyday life. :)

Have a wonderful day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi!

I am planning my return to the Camino and I need help with estimating how long it will take me to walk from SJPdP to Burgos? I have planned to make a stop in Orisson meaning it will take me an additional day getting to Roncesvalles.

I walked Leon-Santiago (via Samos) in August in 12 days (could have done it in 11 days but wanted to stay with my Camino family) just to give you a sense of my walking pace.

I look farward to reading your answers and would like to thank you all for this amaxing forum that is packed with advice. I definitely arrived well prepared in Leon this summer thanks to all of you. :)

Br
Anita

10 days maybe 11

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back