• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St jean supermarket

Tess42

Dear All

We will be flying into Paris then the train to St Jean ,we will need to stock up on ,food ,water etc ,is there a supermarket at St Jean please ? :?:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, several. Wander the town and you will find them. Example:

Alimentation Irigaray Sylvie
12 Rue d'Espagne, 64220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, France

Of course, a supermarket in France and Spain is not the same as a supermarket in the U.S. It usually is more like a mom and pop store, of a convenience market.

Actually there are several large Safeway type markets in SJPdP. The largest is probably Carrefour which is one of the largest chains in France and Spain. It is located on an easy walk from the main town. There also many smaller markets.
The small 7-11 type markets in Europe tend to be called "supermarcado" in Spain and many other parts of the world.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Indeed, a Carrefour!
AVENUE DU JAI ALAI
64220 SAINT JEAN PIED DE PORT
Tél : 05.59.37.07.01
For reasons known only to the Google God, it is not labeled on Google maps!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A Carrefour, yes, but a very very very small Carrefour - though you can get whatever you need. There is also a quite good sports/camping/cycling shop close to it.

David said:
A Carrefour, yes, but a very very very small Carrefour - though you can get whatever you need. There is also a quite good sports/camping/cycling shop close to it.

I have shopped there several times and really don't remember it as being extremely small.
My memory seems to see it as a pretty regular sized market with everything you might need...but I guess I may not have paid much attention as long as I got what I was looking for.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
as long as I got what I was looking for
Sack of potatoes, side of beef, several cans of beans and vegetables, and a watermelon?? :D

It will have an apple, an orange, juice, a loaf of bread, dried sausage, and cheese; about all your pack will hold.

grayland said:
David said:

I have shopped there several times and really don't remember it as being extremely small.
My memory seems to see it as a pretty regular sized market with everything you might need...but I guess I may not have paid much attention as long as I got what I was looking for.

Apologies - I used to live in the Charente, Dept 16, and the supermarkets are adult sized there, huge malls. Once you get into the mountains they become rather small, as is the one in St Jean - perhaps there is an inverse relationship between size of hills and size of supermarkets? :lol:

You could easily fit four or five of the St Jean Carrefours into a Charente Carrefour - I suppose because they are 'Hyper' rather than 'Super'

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back