• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Burgos - One day to skip

StFina

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, June 2012
CF, July 2012
CF, September 2016
Camino Primitivo, May 2017, followed by Camino Frances, late May, 2017
Guys: Due to time constraints, I need to remove one day from my Camino this June in the stretch between St. Jean and Burgos. Is there any day that sticks out in your mind that I could skip, perhaps using a taxi that I might not miss? On my recent walk from Astorga to Santiago, the awful stretch along the highway between Villafranca and Vega de Valcarce comes to mind.

Thanks for your help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's quite easy to skip from Villafranca Montes de Oca directly to Burgos - you can get the bus from the main road straight into Burgos. Or you could go from Belorado directly to Burgos though I do like the walk from Belorado to Villafranca :) If I was going to skip anything between SJPP and Burgos that's what i'd do :)

I'd say that last one into Burgos. Or most of it, at least after Atapuerca and the climb up there there's not much after you descend.

The river way into Burgos itself is pleasant enough once you actually get to the park, but it's a long way still on paved paths alongside the river. And the other routes are all on roads, or cinder track round the back of the airport which is not at all exciting.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On my recent walk from Astorga to Santiago, the awful stretch along the highway between Villafranca and Vega de Valcarce comes to mind.

I don’t think I’ll attempt to answer this as I quite like that stretch! Sure, it’s beside a road, but it’s now a very quiet road since all the traffic goes overhead on the expressway. And the path is alongside a beautiful river the whole way . . . . maybe I just had good weather and company at the time, so didn't notice it was awful :) Jill

You can finish in San Juan de Ortega, Agés or Atapuerca, the last day into Burgos is probably the least "pretty". On the other hand, if you are fit enough, you can always make stages longer, it is feasible. I did these stages, as far as I remember

Roncesvalles
Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente La Reina
Estella
Torres del Río
Navarrete
Azofra
Redecilla del Camino
Villafranca Montes de Oca
Atapuerca
Burgos

but can even make some of those longer, like Zubiri-Zizur, or any other combination.

Buen camino in any case!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start in Roncevalles instead of SJPP - then you can just keep walking.
I agree. Once I start walking, I don't think that I'd want to skip anything. Plus, if you make friends that you want to continue walking with you will end up out of sync with them.

I agree with Doug on this, start in Roncevalles, unless you are certain you will walk independently. It is easy to grow accustomed with those you walk with, & painful when a day ahead you never get to say goodbye.
I agree though the walk into Burgose is not my favorite, yet the city riverfront is fantastic.
Buen Camino
Keith

You can finish in San Juan de Ortega, Agés or Atapuerca, the last day into Burgos is probably the least "pretty". On the other hand, if you are fit enough, you can always make stages longer, it is feasible. I did these stages, as far as I remember

Roncesvalles
Zubiri
Pamplona
Puente La Reina
Estella
Torres del Río
Navarrete
Azofra
Redecilla del Camino
Villafranca Montes de Oca
Atapuerca
Burgos

but can even make some of those longer, like Zubiri-Zizur, or any other combination.

Buen camino in any case!

Just take bus from from Villarreal to Burgos save 10/12 km on concrete for 1 euro

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need to remove one day from my Camino this June in the stretch between St. Jean and Burgos. Is there any day that sticks out in your mind that I could skip, perhaps using a taxi that I might not miss?
I also suggest that the day to skip is the last day into Burgos. Here are my reasons:
  • I agree that the less interesting walk is that day.
  • If you do manage to walk faster over the rest of the way then you can finish up by walking the whole way.
  • If you decide to go back to walk the rest of the camino then you can go to Burgos and get a lift to where you stopped. Just so you can say you walked the entire CF.
I have two alternate ways to skip a day:
  • Check the weather before you arrive in St. Jean. If it is going to be miserable and with low visibilty then start in Roncevalles instead. What's the sense in walking uphill in the fog?
  • Similarly, skip the section from Pamplona to Puente de Reina if there is a heavy rain. Going up and down the Alto will be slippery and there will be little to see. Bus to Puente de Reina and walk in the rain from there.

On my recent walk from Astorga to Santiago, the awful stretch along the highway between Villafranca and Vega de Valcarce comes to mind.
Peg and I enjoyed the alternate mountain route; the one where you go right immediately after the bridge out of town.

Agree with above suggestion of skipping last day into Burgos so you could go back and start from where you left off the next time. Wouldn't have wanted to miss the last day myself. The view on good day overlooking Burgos, still quite a few hours away, was one I'll remember.
Sorry you didn't enjoy the road walk out of Villifranca. When I walked that section in June 2015 we did the mountain, Pradela, route to Tabadelo. That was great.

Again lots of good/great advice. From what I remember of the section west of San Juan de Ortega was that it is a long way from public transport. I think you might have to get a taxi(?). On the other hand it would be fairly easy to get a bus from Villafranca Montes De Oca. But if you do press on leaving the Camino at Atapuerca is the next best option - there is a sealed road down onto the motor way so there might be a local bus. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Guys: Due to time constraints, I need to remove one day from my Camino this June in the stretch between St. Jean and Burgos. Is there any day that sticks out in your mind that I could skip, perhaps using a taxi that I might not miss? On my recent walk from Astorga to Santiago, the awful stretch along the highway between Villafranca and Vega de Valcarce comes to mind.

Thanks for your help.

Why not just see how you go? No need to decide ahead of time - you could have a few ideas like the suggestions above, but then just walk and you may find you cover bigger distances than you expect. Or smaller - you never know what may happen, and you may find you need to skip more than one day. You could just walk until you have to stop. Leave yourself plenty of options, anyway. Personally I loved the river walk into Burgos!

Buen Camino whatever you decide!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back