• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean to Burgos

scubajunky

St Jean to Burgos.
March 23 rd to April 6
What would the weather be like in this section typically at this time of year ?
Where would I fly into to start from St Jean Pied De Port ?
Many thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi scubajunky.

It depends where you're flying from. If from London or Paris the ideal place is Biarritz/Bayonne, from where you get a local bus to the train station in Bayonne and the train to St Jean PP. If coming from elsewhere especially outside Europe you'll probably find yourself in Paris or Madrid, from which you can get trains or buses. There's plenty of info elsewhere on this forum.

The weather this year seems to be untypical, and worse than usual. Usually at the end of March it might be turning into spring but at the moment it's very much winter judging by reliable reports from other pilgrims. Be prepared!

Buen Camino!

It has been a record setting year for snow, so even if it warms up by March 23, there will be standing snow in the Pyrenees. It should not be much of a barrier, and quite scenic. Further down the path it has rained a lot, so it will be muddy unless it stops raining. You should expect rain at the end of March and beginning of April, but you may be between storm systems. Your allotted time is adequate for the walk. Flying into Biarritz and taking the train from Bayonne to SJPdP is the easiest way to get there. A flight to Pamplona also works, but you may need to take a taxi to SJPdP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks guys. I may fly into Biarittz. I'm coming from the UK. I have tried to get info on trains from Bayonne to ST Jean P DP but not having much luck. Are you guys saying it could basically be raining the whole time ? I'm not sure I fancy that. Which is the best section to do over two weeks ?
Thanks

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No. Not saying it will rain all the time, but at the best of times it's unpredictable and this year seems colder than usual. I walked the Frances in March last year and some days we were reaching for sunscreen and wearing t-shirts, the next few days we were cold in a bitter wind. There's no way to predict, especially when you take into account walking over hills etc, so be prepared and take advice.

Coming from the UK the Ryanair flight from Stansted is definitely the way to get there. The onward journey to the station and on to SJPP is quite simple. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks. So you did not spend days in rain then ? was it a great trip ? did you meet lots of cool people ? is it one of the best things you have done ? If I start in ST Jean, how many days of mountainous walking will I have ?
many thanks

scubajunky said:
Thanks. So you did not spend days in rain then ? was it a great trip ? did you meet lots of cool people ? is it one of the best things you have done ? If I start in ST Jean, how many days of mountainous walking will I have ?
many thanks
Great trip, people, experience etc, but that's always been the case. Not much rain on that section if I remember correctly. I did wear my rain jacket, but I think that was more as a wind break than anything else.

Over the last few years there has been a lack of rain in parts of Spain, and even when it does come it can be misty rain (refreshing) or at night (not a problem).

There's always rain in Galicia near Santiago, but you'd almost be disappointed if you didn't get wet there. :D Buen Camino!

Thanks for your input. So is it defo worth two weeks starting from ST JEAN PDP as opposed to starting from anywhere else ? I will be experiencing the best scenery.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
scubajunky said:
Thanks for your input. So is it defo worth two weeks starting from ST JEAN PDP as opposed to starting from anywhere else ? I will be experiencing the best scenery.
Not certainly, and the 'best' scenery is a matter of opinion anyway. It also depends upon the weather. I went out for a cigarette somewhere in Galicia on my first Camino and got the most beautiful view of the sunrise and the clouds lying in the valley. The following year at the same time it was so misty I could barely see the hand in front of my face!

What you do get in the first couple of weeks are very diverse landscapes, moving from mountains, hills, vineyards, vast wheat fields, exciting cities... You'll love it! Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back