• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Burgos

EL LECHERO

Friends no Strangers
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2016 PRIMITIVO 2022 LE PUY 2023
Hello all, after much thought and deliberation with many of yours advice I’ve decided to walk from St Jean to Burgos next year. Given have 10-12 days to walk and have already walked from Astorga to SDC. This seems most reasonable. I’m mainly writing this for myself to initiate a goal. I hope either to walk next April or wait until October of 2022. Comments etc are always appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm inquisitive about how you chose that segment. Is it because the distance matches well with the time you have available? Are there places you'd like to see? Is it the landscape / scenery / environment you'd like to experience? Does someone you want to visit live there? Is the local food / wine the attraction?

(Implicit in my question is the suggestion to NOT walk a segment based only on the distance matching the available time. Find another reason. Make the trip more meaningful than just x distance in y days. FWIW)

I'm inquisitive about how you chose that segment. Is it because the distance matches well with the time you have available? Are there places you'd like to see? Is it the landscape / scenery / environment you'd like to experience? Does someone you want to visit live there? Is the local food / wine the attraction?

(Implicit in my question is the suggestion to NOT walk a segment based only on the distance matching the available time. Find another reason. Make the trip more meaningful than just x distance in y days. FWIW)
I was going to do the Primitivo....but after thinking about why I want to walk the Camino it excites me to start at the very beginning if the Frances, to start with others, be social, hopefully make some friends. My last Camino astorga to SdC, I remember quite vividly the pilgrims we met along the way. It’s like yesterday. My favorite time was before Sarria.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello all, after much thought and deliberation with many of yours advice I’ve decided to walk from St Jean to Burgos next year. Given have 10-12 days to walk and have already walked from Astorga to SDC. This seems most reasonable. I’m mainly writing this for myself to initiate a goal. I hope either to walk next April or wait until October of 2022. Comments etc are always appreciated!
Thats a decent section to walk and easy access to trains/buses/airports in order to return home. Dont forget that Bilbao is close as well if you want to exit via that airport. Interesting city to look around as well.

That section is rich in architecture. As ever, listen to your body - there will be days when it says 'enough'! Call in at San Anton Abad in Villafranca Montes de Oca, if only for a meal.

I am not sure there is any merit in speed-walking The Camino. Looking down at the trail all day and not stopping to take it all in makes no sense. I took a day off every week or so to recoup. But if time is a limit then pick a leg and enjoy it. You can always come back to finish up at a later date!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am not sure there is any merit in speed-walking The Camino. Looking down at the trail all day and not stopping to take it all in makes no sense. I took a day off every week or so to recoup. But if time is a limit then pick a leg and enjoy it. You can always come back to finish up at a later date!

From what I read, the OP seems to be doing exactly as you have advised, so you are on the same page. :) . St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos in 10 to 12 days is a pretty doable time frame for someone in reasonable shape, without overly stressing oneself.

From what I read, the OP seems to be doing exactly as you have advised, so you are on the same page. :) . St Jean Pied de Port to Burgos in 10 to 12 days is a pretty doable time frame for someone in reasonable shape, without overly stressing oneself.
One man's speed walking is another man's Sunday In The Park With George! Walk the pace that makes you feel good. You can walk with more energy and passionate peace and if you like further or not so far. You will get there.
I have never walked the Primitivo and I know it is a tougher camino to walk then the CF. But I know many who have and it is getting more popular. I got the impression that it may have gotten too intense with people for you after Sarria. The primitive will afford you more quiet days, with still enough pilgrims to meet and form lifetime friendships with and from what everyone tells me it is in many people's eyes the most beautiful of all the Caminos. When I walked from Irun virtually everyone I had met before the split with the Primitivo intended to walk the Primitivo. It sure got quiet on the Norte after the split.

Last edited:
I was going to do the Primitivo....but after thinking about why I want to walk the Camino it excites me to start at the very beginning if the Frances, to start with others, be social, hopefully make some friends. My last Camino astorga to SdC, I remember quite vividly the pilgrims we met along the way. It’s like yesterday. My favorite time was before Sarria.
I am glad to hear this because I agree the best part of the Camino for me was the wide range of great people we met. So many seek isolation on Camino, which I respect if that is what they want. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. we started SJPP and stayed at Orisson first night. The 40 or so people at Orisson became our first cohort through the first week, encountered off and on, enjoying a break or meal together. For me the Camino was the people.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am glad to hear this because I agree the best part of the Camino for me was the wide range of great people we met. So many seek isolation on Camino, which I respect if that is what they want. I enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. we started SJPP and stayed at Orisson first night. The 40 or so people at Orisson became our first cohort through the first week, encountered off and on, enjoying a break or meal together. For me the Camino was the people.
Glad you enjoyed it but I am one who has always believed that the Camino is best enjoyed in silence. I seldom use the word enjoy as I have never set foot on the Way to enjoy myself. I go to look, listen and learn, and whilst there is much to be gained from one's fellow pilgrims, there is much to learn also by other means. Buen Camino!

Samarkand.

For me this was the most interesting bit of the Camino. From the community meal and the first morning seeing the amazing view from Orison to the changing views along this stretch. The fellow peregrinos along the way. The pintxos in Pamplona and Legrono and the beautiful churches in even the smallest villages along this stretch. Then there is the wine !! walking through the Navarre and Rioja regions. Just get a glass in any bar. I cant wait to get back and, even only for a week or two will certainly walk this stretch again. If you get the time, Burgos is a lovely city and worth exploring.
Buen Camino

Hola Rako, I see that our OP has answered your query directly but I thought I might offer my observations. Many European based pilgrims often have limited time to walk any of the caminos, so they allocate ten to 14 days. They start are the agreed starting point (St Jean on the CF, or Sevilla for the VDLP), they walk the time frame and go home. Some will come back later that year or maybe the next (this particularly applies to the VDLP where walking in July & August heat is most difficult). The aim is to complete their camino in its "natural, geographic" order. Cheers

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola @verutum I totally support your "slowly, slowly" approach to the Camino Frances (and to others). IMHO North & North-west Spain has significant historical significance from Stone Age (the museum display at Atapuerca I recommend); Roman; medieval, and the painful period of the 1930's. Some of the churches I saw on my two CF walks still "blow me away". Cheers

Hi. I passed thru Burgos at Easter 3 years ago and stayed with a fellow pilgrim I met along the way who was from Burgos.
Had a fantastic time at the Easter parades. Never seen anything like that anywhere else in the world. And boy, can the locals play.
Worth timing your Camino to be there for Easter if you can.
Many happy memories

Glad you enjoyed it but I am one who has always believed that the Camino is best enjoyed in silence. I seldom use the word enjoy as I have never set foot on the Way to enjoy myself. I go to look, listen and learn, and whilst there is much to be gained from one's fellow pilgrims, there is much to learn also by other means. Buen Camino!

Samarkand.
Beautiful thing about it. People can have wildly different points of view and still benefit.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've done (only) a couple caminos but SJPP to Burgos is great for the social aspect. There's a good crowd from SJPP but a lot less than you saw in the stages close to Santiago. I love the story of the first week from the Pyrenees to Pamplona to the wine country of Rioja. & I loved Burgos, interesting city and the cathedral is can't miss if you ask me. I think most books would put SJPP to Burgos at 12 stages. I personally wouldn't push for faster.

One of my favorite segments. I've recommended this segment multiple times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I walked the CF in the fall of 2015 I did the SJPDP to Burgos section in 11 days. I was not speed walking. I walked my pace. I first met the pilgrims who were to become lifelong friends on this stretch of my Camino. I wish you a buen Camino!

Thats a decent section to walk and easy access to trains/buses/airports in order to return home. Dont forget that Bilbao is close as well if you want to exit via that airport. Interesting city to look around as well.

If the OP is living in the USA, and wants the most direct route home, going directly from Burgos to MAD will eliminate an additional stop.

Last edited:
When I walked the CF in the fall of 2015 I did the SJPDP to Burgos section in 11 days. I was not speed walking. I walked my pace. I first met the pilgrims who were to become lifelong friends on this stretch of my Camino. I wish you a buen Camino!
Like you and Max and me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I've done (only) a couple caminos but SJPP to Burgos is great for the social aspect. There's a good crowd from SJPP but a lot less than you saw in the stages close to Santiago. I love the story of the first week from the Pyrenees to Pamplona to the wine country of Rioja. & I loved Burgos, interesting city and the cathedral is can't miss if you ask me. I think most books would put SJPP to Burgos at 12 stages. I personally wouldn't push for faster.
thanks so much....this gets me so excited to start planning!

right, the old good godesalco.com Camino Planificador is my favourite toy these days :) a great tool to summon up the memories and immerse in visions of not walked yet paths ... quien sabe?

right, the old good godesalco.com Camino Planificador is my favourite toy these days :) a great tool to summon up the memories and immerse in visions of not walked yet paths ... quien sabe?
And I've noticed that they have added a lot more routes to the Planificador!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back