• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean to Orisson

Annmichele

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2019, first Camino
Arriving in St Jean on May 11 around 16.30/17.00. Half thinking of heading up to Orisson immediately and getting a taxi back down, to make our first real day easier. Has anyone done this? We have accommodation in St Jean booked. How late is too late to start walking? We will only have day packs as have luggage transfers organised and are reasonably fit walkers. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arriving in St Jean on May 11 around 16.30/17.00. Half thinking of heading up to Orisson immediately and getting a taxi back down, to make our first real day easier. Has anyone done this? We have accommodation in St Jean booked. How late is too late to start walking? We will only have day packs as have luggage transfers organised and are reasonably fit walkers. Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Instead of taking a taxi back to St Jean have you tried to get a reservation at Orisson? I'll be staying there on the 11th. 😊

I have seen it mentioned on here before, but I personally do not understand the concept of walking up to Orisson, and then taxi back to Saint Jean and then taxi back up to Orisson the next morning. ????
I would think as suggested getting reservations there to be more logical, or just spend the night at Saint Jean and walk all the way to Roncesvalles the next day, or walk to Orrison the next day and stay there and walk to Roncesvalles the following day.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Annmichele, if we were to talk face-to-face I may come up with a better idea for you but I do have two thoughts.

With the idea you propose you miss spending any real time in SJPdP, a shame because it is a pleasant little town. Stay and get a French dinner, maybe with a few other pilgrims heading out early the next morning and do the complete Route Napoleon.

Check with the Pilgrim Office when you get in town to catch the weather report. If the weather on arrival is good but the next day is bad then your idea makes more sense; less walking in bad weather. If the walking day's weather is really bad use the Valcarlos route.

Sun down time is just after 9 pm. It may take about 3 hours to walk to Orisson and then you have to get a ride back to town. If you walk from 5 pm to 8 pm then get a ride back it will be a late dinner and later to bed. It is possible, but you will have to be really organized and have all your food bought and ready for the next day. I don't think you should miss going to the pilgrim office in SJPdP and getting your passport stamped and talking with other pilgrims who are excited about starting the next day. You can always wait and decide once you arrive.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really don’t understand what you would get out of this.... It’ll probably take you around 3 hours between arriving in St Jean and getting to Orrisson. You miss out on your first evening in St Jean as well as missing out on the first evening in Orrisson as they have supper together quite early, around 7 / 7.30 if I recall rightly....
You may have your reasons but I don’t see any point in it. 😕

Walk to Roncesvalles!
When you come to Orrison you´ll have finished the worst and you ´ll be in Roncesvalles early afternoon. I would advice you to take the small road down to the chapel at Ebaneta instead of going through the wood directly to Ronvesvalles. That will save your knees and feet and leed you to a nice path down to Roncesvalles.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don’t think that makes much sense at all. You need to go to the pilgrim office to check in. Even if you have your credential you should check in so they know you are on the Camino and to find out up to date information.
Enjoy St. Jean and get a fresh start in the morning. Your on the Camino. Part of the experience is the simplicity of the Camino. Why complicate things. Relax and just walk. Also you never know the weather when you get there the Napoleon route could be closed with snow even in May.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back