• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Roncesvalles elevation?

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hello Everyone,

Does anyone know the exact elevation at the highest peak on the walk from St. Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncesvalles? I know the ascent is pretty steep; and I was wondering if it is like hiking in the Rocky Mountains in Colorado where the air is very thin. Thanks in advance, and Buen Camino. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hola - it isn't all that high! Here is what I think are the facts:

St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles Altitude at departure: 180m/594ft.

On the way Orisson stands at 1095m/3614ft, then further on Col Lepoeder stands at 1430m/4719ft - this is the highest point on this route. There is then the descent to Puerto de Ibaneta and Roncesvalles.

Altitude at arrival: 920m/3036ft.

Best wishes

John

No thin air anywhere on the Camino Francés.

We can promise you plenty of sun and rain though. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Air is fine, but start early and pace yourself. Don't try to beat the clock or stay up with anybody else. Drink plenty of water, even if its cloudy and or chilly. Take it easy going down on the other side. And at the end of the day : Mass. Eat. Sleep.

My_Camino.html

Air is fine, but start early and pace yourself. Don't try to beat the clock or stay up with anybody else. Drink plenty of water, even if its cloudy and or chilly. Take it easy going down on the other side. And at the end of the day. Mass. Eat. Sleep.

IMG_0480.jpg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola - it isn't all that high! Here is what I think are the facts:

St Jean Pied de Port - Roncesvalles Altitude at departure: 180m/594ft.

On the way Orisson stands at 1095m/3614ft, then further on Col Lepoeder stands at 1430m/4719ft - this is the highest point on this route. There is then the descent to Puerto de Ibaneta and Roncesvalles.

Altitude at arrival: 920m/3036ft.

Best wishes

John
My guidebook (the Rother book) shows Orisson at 800 m elevation rather than 1095m (630 m above SJPdP) and the "Vierge de Biakorri" at 1095 m. The climb to Orisson seems to be half way in elevation but only about 8 km in distance from SJPdP. From Orisson to Col Lepoeder is a similar 630 m elevation gain but spread out over 13 km. So the steepest part of the climb is from SJPdP to Orisson and you can look forward to the remainder of the climb from Orisson to Col Lepoeder being at a more gentle incline on average. My experience is that, although it is a stiff climb, weather can be a much more significant factor than altitude gain. You will not likely notice any thinness in the air. Relative to the Rockies you are still at a pretty low elevation. On the way down, if you have any weaknesses in ankles, knees, or hips, the descent from Col Lepoeder to Roncesvalles can be challenging. Worth considering taking the slightly longer road route to the right on NA2033 just below Col Lepoeder if you want an easier descent. (i.e. at this point don't go straight down the camino instead turn right and descend on NA2033) )https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.0255...TD4BOZpvugAM-NLi4qCA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back