• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean to Roncesvalles

gracielousmiles

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: July 3rd 2017
Hello everyone!

I'm a 21-year-old, reasonably fit, who will begin walking the camino on July 5th starting in St. Jean.

I've read a lot about breaking up the first day into two stages but I don't have the extra time to stay in Orisson. I'll be arriving in St Jean at 08:38 in the morning and will be getting my credencial that morning.

Is this too late in the day to start? Should I be concerned about that first day?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Reasonably fit 21 year olds have very little to be concerned about.

You can make this call at the pilgrim office in St. Jean. If you set out before 9:00, you will be fine, but a reservation at Roncesvalles might be a good idea. If it gets late in the day before you actually leave, split the day and stay in Valcarlos.

Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
St. Jean to Roncesvalles is a 25 km hike and took me about 7 hours, so taken your arrival time and reasonable fitness it is doable. Quick dash to the pilgrim office for your credential and off you go.
In Roncesvalles you can check in until 22:00, so no problems there either. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Last year this fat 55 year-old couch potato left St Jean a little after 8am, walked via Valcarlos, stopped three times on the way for breakfast & coffee & beer, and arrived at Roncesvalles by 3.30pm. Getting there should be no problem for you. However, the place was heaving with people by the time I arrived. As the number of bed places has recently been reduced it might be a good idea to consider making a reservation. Not my usual practice but if I were to walk the CF again I might make an exception for Roncesvalles.

More than doable. However, if you wish to attend pilgrim's mass and eat dinner in Roncesvalles stop at Orissin or have rest day in SJPP then start early next morning. You can makeup time along the camino.
Ultreya.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The vast majority of pilgrims do the SJJP-Roncesvalles in one stage, and do well.
I spent around 9 hrs, but I am in my "sixties", and rather in the slow style.
As far as you reach Roncesvalles before nightfall, it will be no problem.
Reservation, as eveybody have said, is recommendable in July.

I'm 45, fit-ish and walk lots. I left St Jean at 8am on Easter Friday via Orisson and arrived at Roncesvalles about 2.30. There were plenty of beds and i had no need to book ahead. It was almost full by 4pm due to a coach load of students turning up, but they still provided extra mattresses for late comers Food is pretty awful there though. I'm walking for 2 weeks again mid July and this time i might pass through Roncesvalles and stay in the next village of Burguete. Its only a few Km further but a lot more peaceful. If you stay in Roncesvalles I'd recommend saving Breakfast for Burguete too. I need to do research on the hostels there though. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The trout (fish) in the 7:00 pm (?) pilgrim's meal in the "monastery" was so fresh, tender and juicy. It was April 21, 2017.
Ahh..I was referring to the boiled chicken and chips with the banana Yoghurt at the 2 pilgrim meal taverns

Hello everyone!

I'm a 21-year-old, reasonably fit, who will begin walking the camino on July 5th starting in St. Jean.

I've read a lot about breaking up the first day into two stages but I don't have the extra time to stay in Orisson. I'll be arriving in St Jean at 08:38 in the morning and will be getting my credencial that morning.

Is this too late in the day to start? Should I be concerned about that first day?

We have just finished the first half of Le Puy en Velay.
The temp was 35c plus for the first 2 weeks.
It looks the same next week here in France so please check the weather before deciding.
I would not walk 25 km plus (allowances for ups and downs ) in that weather on the FIRST day commencing around 9.30am.
Do you know the saying about Mad dogs and Englishman?
Most pilgrims would have gone at 6.30 am that morning.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone!

I am wondering why you wouldn't consider resting the remainder of the day you arrive. Getting your credential is not a 2-minute deal. There is a lot to be said for starting off early the next morning totally rested. The start of your Camino is crucial or you may jeopardize your entire trip. My husband and I are quite fit and found that first day to be the toughest of the entire Camino. It took us more than 8 hours at a leisurely pace. I think you are wise to skip Orisson. Regardless, get reservations just to be safe.

I am wondering why you wouldn't consider resting the remainder of the day you arrive. Getting your credential is not a 2-minute deal. There is a lot to be said for starting off early the next morning totally rested. The start of your Camino is crucial or you may jeopardize your entire trip. My husband and I are quite fit and found that first day to be the toughest of the entire Camino. It took us more than 8 hours at a leisurely pace. I think you are wise to skip Orisson. Regardless, get reservations just to be safe.

Well said Elizabeth,
I notice the day she is leaving is 32c plus.
The next day unfortunately is 27c with high humidity and guaranteed thunderstorms.
Valcarlos after lunch then next day Burgette would be my suggestion.
Most damage done is in the first few days .

Well said Elizabeth,
I notice the day she is leaving is 32c plus.
The next day unfortunately is 27c with high humidity and guaranteed thunderstorms.
Valcarlos after lunch then next day Burgette would be my suggestion.
Most damage done is in the first few days .

Oh, I meant to say to get reservations in Roncevalles...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The only thing I would do different on my next Camino is enjoy a day in St Jean before starting. Three reasons: 1. I was jet lagged, 2. I was several hours up the mountain when I stopped to look back down into the valley and realized I missed exploring the town because I was 3. Overly anxious to start.
You can make up any "lost" time. Take a day to slow yourself down so you can enjoy.
Monica :)

Hello everyone!

Nope. I did the same thing. Only stop is Orissoon, so bring some energy bars and you will be fine. In Roncevalles in time for dinner

Hello everyone!

If you read this before you leave just remember these two things
Walk slowly , your own pace , and take plenty of water.
If you have already left home and are on the way keep us informed on your arrival in Spain.
We wish you well,
Burn Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone!

Hi Gracie

I walked the Camino France Setember/October 2016 starting St Jean. I to arrived in St Jean around 8:30 am (ish) from Bayonne having travelled from the U.K the day before. I am a reasonably fit 71 year old, I don't know your time frame but mine was open ended. I completed my walk arriving in Santiago 28 days after setting out from St jean. My experience was basic staying in municipals, donnativo's etc: and carrying my backpack every step of the way. I stayed over in Orisson for my first night. This was the best decision I made throughout the whole experience, it gave me a good introduction into the walk and the next stage from Orisson to Roncesvalles was made that more manageable.

Had I tried to do St Jean to Roncesvalles in one hit, I think my energy levels would have been challenged and my reflective view is that it would have taken me longer than 28 days. It is a question of knowing what you can do, I met people along the "way" who had set out with great energy from St Jean direct to Roncesvalles, the effort they had put in during those early days resulted in them doing to much for their body and ultimately they were taking days out to recover and suffering blisters making walking difficult and generally slowing them down. I made Santiago without taking any time out, I walked every day and although I had blisters, they were manageable and did not slow me down.

Good luck. Buen Camino

Hello everyone!

I've gone up out of Saint Jean twice, both times starting at about 10 AM, and both times already with weeks of walking up to that point -- when I was younger and fitter I got over in very good time, then ten years later though I made it, it was a pretty late evening arrival.

I don't think you need worry about not being able to pull it off, but nevertheless I'd advise aiming for a 9:30 start rather than 10 (IIRC the second time I missed the early start was because I'd arrived too late in the evening to replenish my food supplies for the crossing). Hopefully, there won't be a crowd at the pilgrim office before 9, as most people do try and sort their credenciales the day before starting or even earlier ...

Do however take some time to grab yourself some French breakfast pastries at a boulangerie before departing, it'll be your last chance at them !!

Last edited:
Question: As I said in an earlier post, I should have taken a day to acclimate myself. Fortunately I had two egg sandwiches when I left St Jean but only ate one all day. I was so jet lagged but didn't realize it.
When I got to the top I came down thru the forest. It was so frightening, especially when the trail became covered with leaves. At one point I thought I was surely lost. I don't know how long it took me Once I headed down the hill into the forest, ( which by the way caused havoc on my toes!) but it seemed like hours as there was nobody else the entire time! Was there another, better way to get down from that point? Where did all the other people go?

It took me 10 hours from St Jeanvto Roncesvalles. I've always wondering if I mistakenly took the road less travelled.

Thinking back to that still frightens me and I wonder if I was stupid or just naive.
Any thoughts?
Monica

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@MoniRose there is a small sealed road that crosses the path just before you plunge down into the forest, it has a small, rather indistinct signpost, to take the road if the weather is bad, and that is the alternative way down into Roncesvalles. It is a kilometre or so longer, but more gentle and not slippery as over the beach-tree leaves.

I have received a lovely letter from Gracie.
They arrived a fraction late in the morning and were advised by the pilgrims office to get a cab or I would think start the next day
Not sure what the weather was like , more than likely hot so mid morning start was not on.
A wise and sincere girl,

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back