• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St-Jean to Roncevalles (restplace-eat)

Marc Everaert

Time of past OR future Camino
EXPECT NORMALLY TO START +/- 20 MAY 2017
Good Morning Forum,

I start my Camino Frances the 20th may. When i look to the Michelin Map, i see the
walk from St-Jean to Roncevalles there are not much restplaces . This is a
stage of 26km in the mountains . is it necessary to take food with me from st jean or are there places enough
to eat. I can imagine that this first stage is a calorieburner and i not want to have the man with the hammer
in the montains.
thank you in advance to help me out.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Depends which route you take. If you follow most people over the Route Napoleon as @falcon269 says there is very little available - take food with you. If you walk the lower Valcarlos route you would have the chance to buy food and drink in several villages along the way, though there is nothing after Valcarlos itself until you reach Roncesvalles.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Booked beds in Orissan and It did indeed take awhile to get a reply. I think it was 4 days.

Good Morning Forum,

I start my Camino Frances the 20th may. When i look to the Michelin Map, i see the
walk from St-Jean to Roncevalles there are not much restplaces . This is a
stage of 26km in the mountains . is it necessary to take food with me from st jean or are there places enough
to eat. I can imagine that this first stage is a calorieburner and i not want to have the man with the hammer
in the montains.
thank you in advance to help me out.
My friend Jose who has done three Camino's and doing Camino del Norte at the same time as us 20 May has advised to stay at Orison a 8 km hike uphill and a wonderful view the next day, and finish the 19km section the following day on the right arrow as it is less steep but a tad longer this is the email address refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr

Either route you take, make sure you carry some food in your pack. Energy bars, protein bars, etc. I carried about 4-5 and ate them all I think, ha ha.
ultreia
Hey Mark- I am leaving the US on Monday. Do you load up on energy bars here or get them on th Camino? Thanks in advance

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey Mark- I am leaving the US on Monday. Do you load up on energy bars here or get them on th Camino? Thanks in advance
I'm partial to Clif bars, so I bought some here and put them in my pack. Six or seven of them do add some weight, but I figure they're a consumable. Besides, I usually eat one of them on layover. They may sell an equivalent in St Jean, I don't know. There's at least one store there that's sells groceries.

I gonna do the same. because first stage to Roncevalles is not easy and think everyone need energy for that stage
Buen camino . l start 20th may

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is usually a man with a van selling coffee/fruit/chocolate etc. just before you cross from France into Spain on the Napoleon route. He was very welcome, especially as it was raining that day, and there was an awning to shelter under.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back