• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St. Jean to Santiago in 27 Days???

cookie139

Hi there!

I am leaving for Paris from India on the 10th of September and making all the train connections will be arriving at St. Jean on the 11th September. I plan to start walking on the 12th. However, since its my first time in Europe, the Spain consulate gave me visa stay for only 31 days! :( So, based on that I need to reach Santiago on the 8th of October. That leaves me just 27 days of walk. I wanna know if its doable and if anyone has already done it then, I would really appreciate a breakdown on places you stayed on the Camino.

If at all its not doable, where would you suggest I start from? Will Pamplona be a good option? And can I get a bus service from St. Jean to Pamplona? I would then consider reaching St. Jean and get my pilgrim passport and get onto the bus to reach Pamplona on the 11 September.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola - my view is that walking this route in 27 days is perfectly possible. Many pilgrims gather strength and stamina and end up walking longer and quicker towards the end. What you mustn't do is rush the beginning or you will develop physical problems. Take it easy and build up gradually.

You can look at different options for stages on this site: http://www.godesalco.com - go to the Planificador.

If you are worried about being time constrained then either start a little further along the way - as you say , in Pamplona for example. Or decide that if you are running out of time you will move forward by bus.

Many people would say that the Camino is not to be rushed. Give youself time. Enjoy the cities you pass through and the company of other pilgrims. But it is entirely up to you, of course.

Buen Camino

John

Cookie139:

While Pamplona to Santiago is doable in 27 days (27km per day), I would recommend you start in Logrono (23.5 km per day). This will allow you some flexibility if you have an injury or want to stop or linger in a particular spot you found enjoyable. As far as places to stay, I recommend you just let your feet and the Camino dictate be your guide. For me there are two special places, Carrion de los Condes with the Augustinian nuns and La Faba. There are many wonderful stops along the Camino and they all have something special about them.

That said, this is your Camino and you should do it your way.

Ultreya,
Joe

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Start where you want, finish where you finish, come back later if you must.

Don't turn it into work.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hola - my view is that walking this route in 27 days is perfectly possible. Many pilgrims gather strength and stamina and end up walking longer and quicker towards the end. What you mustn't do is rush the beginning or you will develop physical problems. Take it easy and build up gradually. ...

So true John!
But I personally would not try to do 800 K in 27 days even if I might be able to do it and it would be such an achievement!!! If I had 27 days I would probably start in Santo Domingo (605 k = 27 days, 24 k/day).

buen camino
annie

we all are different - you should do it your way

JohnnieWalker

Exactly, I so don't intend to rush along the Camino. I wanna take each day as it comes. I just wanna decide on a starting place and reach there in time, take a day off to recover from the jet lag and rest well before I start my walk. :)

JohnnieWalker said:
Many people would say that the Camino is not to be rushed. Give youself time. Enjoy the cities you pass through and the company of other pilgrims. But it is entirely up to you, of course.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yeah, I think your advice of starting from Logrono is good. That way, I'll have atleast a day or two incase of emergencies. I wanna do this with complete peace of mind and not having to look at my watch every 10 minutes. :)

Thank you so much!

jpflavin1 said:
Cookie139:

While Pamplona to Santiago is doable in 27 days (27km per day), I would recommend you start in Logrono (23.5 km per day). This will allow you some flexibility if you have an injury or want to stop or linger in a particular spot you found enjoyable. As far as places to stay, I recommend you just let your feet and the Camino dictate be your guide. For me there are two special places, Carrion de los Condes with the Augustinian nuns and La Faba. There are many wonderful stops along the Camino and they all have something special about them.

That said, this is your Camino and you should do it your way.

Ultreya,
Joe

Finisterre said:
Start where you want, finish where you finish, come back later if you must.

Don't turn it into work.

Must say, Great Advise! :) It did begin to seem like 'work.' Thank you for your words! :)

Now that I have made up my mind to start in Logrono and not St. Jean. Can you please tell me if a bus service or anything else is easily available from St. Jean to get to Logrono. Since, I'm coming from Paris I can't see any other way around, but to reach St. Jean on 11th September around noon time, collect my pilgrim passport and find my way to reach Logrono the same day...

Really appreciate your help!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Cookie139. Do you need to go to St Jean any more? Aren't you best just going straight from Paris to Logrono?

Check the rail europe website on google. they are based in London but their search engine does cover both France and Spain and if you type in Paris and Logrono it should show you if it is possible. (I could have done it for you but I think we should allow you to some research yourself. :D )

Logrono is a major city and it has a good train service. From Liverpool I have twice flown to Reus and then caught the train to Logrono from there. The train starts in Barcalona. However it must be possible to get to L from Paris though you will need to make changes.

Tyreek is right, there is no need to go to SJPP.

You could walk SJPP to Burgos and then if time is against you take a train to Sahagun, Leon or Astorga depending how many walking days you have to catch up on.

In 1998 I got on a train at Sahagun to Leon and saved three days walking.

At this stage you cannot know if you could walk SJPP to SDC in 27 days, but if you don't mind jumping then you could start in SJPP.

I took 31 days from SJPP to SDC in 2004 but that did mean having to walk three afternoons and getting to my destination at around 5.00pm.

The options are endless. It depends whether you feel you want to continuously walk from your starting point or whether you would be happy to jump a section if time is running out.

But do heed the advice. This is a pilgrimage, not a race against the clock and you not want to arrive in SDC exhausted and feeling you have rushed and missed the chance to find fulfillment along the Camino.

Hope this has not caused more confusion.

The extraordinary Paco did the whole route in eleven days.

As to the slowest completion...modesty forbids I discuss that. Just enjoy, cookie, and let us know how it goes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Tyreek, methodist.pilgrim.98 & Robert

Yeah! I just found out that I can get my pilgrim credential from Logrono too! So, it's best to avoid going to St. Jean.

I guess I would be more comfortable knowing a starting point and then walking without any jumps. Otherwise, my calculative head would be busy figuring out how many days I need to save in order to reach Santiago on the 8th October!:) So, I guess it's best to start from Logrono.

The same night train I was aiming for from Paris to Bayonne, goes uptil Irun. So, I will now be taking the same train to Irun and then figure out another train for Logrono.

That is such a relief to have finally found the most convenient route from Paris, as I didn't wanna spend the night in Paris.

Now, am researching on some good cheap hotels in Logrono, I can spend a day in. As I don't wanna start in an alberque on the first night. By the time I reach Logrono, I would be heavily jet lagged and also it would be my third day without proper sleep or a shower! :)

If you guys can recommend a good hotel, preferably close to the pilgrim office that would be nice! :)

Thank you so very much for all your suggestions! I really really appreciate you all taking time out to make my journey a little less complicated! :)

I didn't stay in Logrono, so can't advise on hotels etc. but it's quite a nice walk out of that city through a park. I was there at the weekend so there were lots of people walking, cycling etc. One woman walking in the opposite direction gave a big smile and a 'Buen Camino', which was really nice. I tried to remember these people and moments when I got to Santiago.

Cookie, I have seen several recommendations for cheap hotel in Logroño. Maybe you should make a search in the forum? – and good that your will be making it to the camino after your many problems with regard to visas.

This May, when I came to Logrono – after a too long walk, feet beat up – I opted for a hotel.

Walked to the Plaza Mercado (centre of Logrono with the Cathedral) and kind of looked around. I then happened on the hotel 'Marques de Vallejo' (you can find it on the internet). Great room – a little bit more than I would have wished to pay (at 60 Euro – but still cheap for the location). But the situation and the ambience was great. Just a hop and skip from the central Plaza. – Buen camino, cookie! Kindest, Annelises

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Cookie,

We stayed in the same hotel and found it ideal.

It is a very comfortable modern Hotel.
It is in the central of town with the Cathedral and Main Square very close ( Literally a minute away ).

Buen Camino.

cookie, glad you have sorted out what you want to do. I love the Logrono to Burgos stretch of the Camino. Make sure you stay in Granon.

Annelise, J Mcguire

Ahh, the Visa issues!! I still can't believe I made it this far! It was just in March, that I watched the movie, "The Way" and got so inspired to do it. It was certainly like a divine intervention in my life, as i was really down in the dumps with life! So, I quit my job after a week of watching the movie and have been travelling since then. But then came the big visa hurdle! and I still can't rest assured, until the immigration guys at Paris bump a stamp on my passport! :) I had to find loopholes in the system and got my visa through the German consulate, even though I'm not entering Germany! So, am still a little anxious about that!

I did check out Marques de Vallejo and seems like a nice place and since its just next to the cathedral, I don't have to walk around too far to get the pilgrim passport. I also found hotel La Numentino, which I think is a block away from Vallejo and a single room is for 36 euros! I just hope the rooms are good enough for a nights stay.

How far is the Logrono train station from the main square? I tried to locate the station on Google maps but couldn't find it!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Cookie.

I just thought I'd give some additional advice. The connections either by bus (http://www.alsa.es/) or train (http://www.renfe.com) from Irun to Logrono can be a bit complicated as you may have found. However, the connections with Pamplona are direct and you may find it an easier place to reach on your day of travel from Paris. If that is the case I can say a few things about walking Pamplona to Santiago in 27 days.
The scenery between Pamplona and Lagrono is quite nice and I have many good memories of the villages of Puenta de la Riena, Ciraqui, Viana among others along that stretch. Also, according to the orthodox 31 etapas (or stages) of the Camino Frances, Pamplona to Santiago is normally completed in 28 days, so really you'd only have to make up one stage of kms in your 4 weeks. It depends of course on your physical condition but most pilgrims will tell you it is certainly possible. One very nice thing about the Camino Frances is that there are many albergues which are mid-etapa so you can make your own pace, perhaps not staying at the traditional spots every night. Additionaly, I am very sure you can get your credential in Pamlona as many pilgrims start there and if you wish you can chose to sleep in Zizur Mayor just outside of town where there is a wonderful albergue, which would give you a slightly shorter etapa for your first day.
All of this of course means walking a longer distance than from Logrono, from which it would be a very leisurely walk to Santiago in 27 days. Both ways will be wonderful, but if for logistical reasons you find it much easier to start in Pamplona you should not struggle greatly to make it to Santiago in time and you will enjoy the extra villages passed along the way I am sure.
I hope this helps.

Buen Camino.
James

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
cookie, glad you have sorted out what you want to do. I love the Logrono to Burgos stretch of the Camino. Make sure you stay in Granon.

Methodist

I will definitely look out for Granon! :) And thanks for all the advise! It did help making sense to my route planning! :)

Jameswberk

Yeah, I couldn't find any bus or train connections from Irun to Logrono. I was kinda hoping to get there and see what I can do to reach Logrono. However, it does make sense to keep my options open about getting to Pamplona from Irun. I have already booked my train tickets from Paris Austerlitz to Irun for the 10th Sept, so I can't really change that now. I had too too much hassle to book the ticket on Raileurope.com and finally had to ask a friend of mine in UK to book it for me. So, I guess arriving in Irun is inevitable. Therefore, depending on what connections I get from Irun to get to either Pamplona or Logrono, I will decide where I want to start from.

Now, that I have charted my budget hotel and the main cathedral to get the credentials in Logrono, I guess it wouldn't harm to do similar research for Pamplona as well. :)

That was good advise. I do wanna walk through as many towns as I can in 27 days! Thanks a lot! :)

jameswberk said:
Hi Cookie.

I just thought I'd give some additional advice. The connections either by bus (http://www.alsa.es/) or train (http://www.renfe.com) from Irun to Logrono can be a bit complicated as you may have found. However, the connections with Pamplona are direct and you may find it an easier place to reach on your day of travel from Paris. If that is the case I can say a few things about walking Pamplona to Santiago in 27 days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very happy to help!

To be honest, booking your train to Irun is not a bad thing at all. It is easier to get to Logrono from Bilbao as there is direct bus and train service I think, but there is no reasonable air fare on short notice from Paris to Bilbao, so you probably would have had to go through Irun regardless. If you'd like to go through Bilbao to Logrono from Irun you can take a bus to Bilbao and then choose bus or train from there I believe. Though as I said, there are many beautiful things between Pamplona and Lagrono so whatever choice you make you will surely enjoy them. Plus, Pamplona is not a bad place to see just by itself! :)
Also, no matter where you start along the Camino Frances you will find cheap accommodation and credentials so I wouldn't worry too much about either. If you can, whether you start in Logrono, Pamplona or elsewhere try and stay at the albergue when you arrive, if you plan on walking the next day. It will get you right into the spirit!

Buen Camino!
James

This was my first long distance walk which I completed in 28 days at the age 56. The second half is much easier and on one day I walked 44k (about 26 miles). Carry as little as possible and just go for it!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Cookie
Just to confuse you further I came across this video which is well worth watching
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... A93F2F18FF

It takes 28 days and I listed each town and distance and then went to godesalco ? and got a route printed out with all the hostels etc..

We start in St Jean on the 13th..so excited, we have a bit longer than you though and won't be rushing, though we hope to go onto finisterre.
Well done getting so far and enjoy your Camino, maybe we will meet up!
Una

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cookie...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2011...but most of all thank you for this thread!

I say that because it's nearly the perfect example of what makes a Camino what it is...special.

From your initial question and JW's answer you added more background, received info from Forum members, weighed that, considered the options and modified and adjusted as

No, but what ifs. No pleading for every option to be satisfied in great detail.

Now, keep us in the loop as you walk the Way.

Now the Camino takes over.

Buen Camino
Arn

It certainly can be done

I don't have our stops at hand by my wife and I did the Camino from StJPdP in the fall of 2007 in 27 days at the age of 60. I do recall a couple of very long days in the 42km range but otherwise I wouldn't describe it as difficult.

However, as we prepare for another Camino next week we are saying to ourselves that this time we should smell a few more roses.

Best of luck

Jim K.

As I read this thread, I don't disagree that it can be done in 27 days from SJPP...but I would not want to do it. Long distances every day with no time to enjoy anything along the way. Nothing but long days of walking. It would be hard but I could do it...I just would not.

It makes very good sense to start closer and enjoy your Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
cookie hasn´t been on the forum for a long time so we don´t know how her walk was.

But I have walked again and did walk 780 km in 29 days. Three days were really short ones 10 - 13 km- and once 18 km to Leon and I was in Leon before noon -it felt like having a rest day.

Longest day was 37 km and 13 days more than 30 km.

So walking in 27 days is very much doable.

I am not an athlete, have never been and will ever be one!
But I can walk, plan my days, have fun, adjust to the very bad weather conditions in April 2012 (raining or snowing 23 days out of 29 days). Luckily I was healthy and no injuries.

Doable, YES!

Regards,
annie

still 17 miles a day, which is very good, we only could manage 13miles & we were exhausted & another 4 miles for us, each day, would not be possible. Yes you are a camino athlete :) .

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back