• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Jean to Santiago seen by an atheist

uspn

I walked the Camino Frances just a week or so after deciding to do so. This site and the forums helped me prepare for it well in a short time, so here's my thank you note for that, in the shape of a link to my photo journal from the walk:

http://www.pvv.org/~bct/camino/

I walked it in just over three weeks in September/October, so it's El Camino wearing its dry, non-green outfit. I realize I walked fast, maybe too fast, but I hope my photos prove that I have not just rushed through it all.

If anyone can help me improve the factual level of my photo captions, I'd be thrilled to receive your assistance!

Thank you, and happy trails,

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some nice pics there Bjorn.

Referring to your thread title and your photos, I'm curious about the difference between how an atheist sees the camino, compared to a believer in a faith/religion?

:arrow:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
peach photos
thanks
where the atheist sees brown and boring
possibly the spirited sees god just taking a rest before starting creation again
perhaps

Great photos. I've never fancied doing the Frances because of how busy I perceived it to be, but the images in some of your photos have made me think again....

Thanks for posting the link.
Mig

Caminando said:
Some nice pics there Bjorn. I'm curious about the difference between how an atheist sees the camino, compared to a believer in a faith/religion?
:arrow:

Thank you!

I don't even know if there is a difference, but if there is one, I hope it does not diminish anyone's appreciation of the beautiful sights a walk in natural surroundings can offer!

(I did not intend to put too much emphasis on my fundamental beliefs regarding life. I think I just wanted to "warn" people that my photos do not cover churches and saints in much depth.)

Bjørn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
tamtamplin said:
peach photos
where the atheist sees brown and boring possibly the spirited sees god just taking a rest before starting creation again

Thank you.

I don't think there's necessarily any difference, and I hope that my photo journal doesn't send the message that I was mainly bored when walking the Way. I can see how some of my comments may be read that way, but I really, really see the beauty in empty fields asleep and preparing for a new beginning. I just appreciate a somewhat more varied view than what parts of this trail offers some days. :)

Bjørn

miguel_gp said:
Great photos. I've never fancied doing the Frances because of how busy I perceived it to be, but the images in some of your photos have made me think again....

Thank you. I certainly understand what you mean. During the last days, from Sarria and in, I found myself often somewhat frustrated by the "population density" on the trail. However, up until O Cebreiro I often felt like I was just about the only one person on the trail, and I enjoyed meeting every single other pilgrim.

If you start late in September, I think you can enjoy quite a lot of solitude even while walking Camino Frances. At least that's what I experienced.

If you want some serious time on your own, try the Jotunheimen Trail in Norway. I did it two summers ago, and saw only five other people during the 11 days I walked. #8D)

Bjørn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If anyone can help me improve the factual level of my photo captions, I'd be thrilled to receive your assistance!

Bjørn
http://bjornfree.com/[/quote]

Hi Bjørn,
Your photographs are always gorgeous-and charmingly whimsical. As for your captions please leave your tongue firmly in your cheek and don't change a thing! My especial favorites are the Firefox dog and the skybourne Wind farm :lol: .
Thank you
Nell

Hi Bjørn,

lovely pictures - you've brightened up my day and got me dreaming Caminos again (and remembering the utter flatness of La Mancha in September)

thanks,

Andy

Fantastic photos and great narrative! Thanks for sharing with us on this forum.

The link to your website led to additionally interesting photo journals. Can't wait to order your book!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
markss said:
Fantastic photos and great narrative! Thanks for sharing with us on this forum.

The link to your website led to additionally interesting photo journals. Can't wait to order your book!

Thank you!

Please note that you don't have to order my book at all. It can be downloaded and read from my Web site for free using pretty much any kind of PC, Mac, Kindle, iPad or whatever. Writing and photography is not my job, just something I do for the love of travel. You're welcome to take advantage of that. :)

Thanks again, and for your praise as well, Andy and Nell!

Bjørn

Wonderful photos Bjørn- thanks for sharing them. I walked the Camino Frances in June in a 'cold wet' year- when it was still very green. So it is interesting to see the dry golds of October.
I loved your quirky comments with the photos as well!
Margaret

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
While being an atheist may may mean we see things from a different point of view as Bjørn's photos illustrate it doesn't mean that we don't appreciate the world around us (perhaps all the more so as this is it for us - we don't believe there is something better waiting for us in an after life).

I don't know if this site has a more "walker" focus then religious bent, but have enjoyed the open frank exchange of views and the while this includes the spiritual and life changing impact of the camino on people it doesn't usually involve prosthelytizing - pontificating maybe.

Come to think about it the French Way is about the only route we've run into those who take offense that non catholics are walking the camino, bit of a red rag to a bull in the case of Hel the Pagan who can launch into a detailed historical description of the routes origins as a a Pagan walk under the Milky Way to the end of the world... thankfully she usually leaves off the details of the fertility rites involved.

I don't think Bjørn intended to start a thread on comparative religion, and the tone of responses shows people respond well to his observant eye and obvious humor.

Whether you are an atheist, monotheist, polytheist, non-theist, agnostic or secular humanist, you can still appreciate the beauty of the world you live in and will find some places more attractive than others.
Many pilgrims have written about the long, dry meseta trails as 'brown and boring' and therefore, others decide to skip it altogether.
Someone once sent me this photograph of a billboard: :D

Attachments

• god_does_not_believe_in_atheists-776813.jpg
    god_does_not_believe_in_atheists-776813.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 4,998
I truly enjoyed your photographs and commentary. Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
Alex

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thank you Bjørn!

All of your pictures are amazing and many are truly stunning! I walked my Camino Sep/Oct 2009 and took a lot of pictures. While we took many of the same shots, I cannot believe some of the ones you took. WOW! Thank you for sharing them with us.

I wouldn't change any of your commentary. It was funny in the right places and right on the mark.

Thanks again!

These photos are a claas of their own. Incredibly inspiring. I hope I can use some of your techniques next time. Thank you Bjorn! Anne
PS. I love your comments too!

I love your photos! They're stunning. The lighting is really good.
The ones from St Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles are my favourites. And I also really like the one with the tractor in the field.

I was about to ask what camera you used, but when I scrolled all the way down among the photos I noticed. 15x optical zoom must be really nice. =)

Thanks for sharing
Hilda

Ps. I also noticed on your website you have lots of other beautiful photos. You have a great eye.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank YOU, all, for your nice comments.

I'm thrilled that so many true pilgrims appear to find some enjoyment in viewing these photos. If any of you would like a copy of any of these photos in better quality/higher resolution, just notify me, and I'll provide it.

I've left the captions untouched for now. :)

Happy trails,

Bjørn

uspn said:
Thank YOU, all, for your nice comments.

I'm thrilled that so many true pilgrims appear to find some enjoyment in viewing these photos. If any of you would like a copy of any of these photos in better quality/higher resolution, just notify me, and I'll provide it.

I've left the captions untouched for now. :)

Happy trails,

Bjørn

A very talented photographer you are! Thanks for sharing these views of a glimpse of the Camino nearing autumn. I'll look forward to checking out your website and book. Cheers! Susan

Bjorn:

Great pics and good photography. I have several of the same pics except in Spring. That being said, my were taken with a small cool pix camera. My camera and eye are not up to yours.

Thanks for sharing. it is interesting to see the difference between Summer and Fall.

Joe

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bjorn

I just discovered your pics and want to say how impressed I am. Don't know how you manage all that depth and definition, but you've got me shopping for one of those Sony Cybershots. (Of course, something tells me there's more to it than that.)

Rob

For being an atheist you documented many works of our Creator in a superb way!

As seen by an artist, more like ... I just set my date for next year and started getting into the planning again - I was going last year but circumstances got in the way. Your pics and comments were just what the doctor ordered.

Tusen takk for virkelig inspirerende bilder, jeg gleder meg allerede!

Linda

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Again; thank you, and you're welcome.

Robertt: Although new cameras don't come with a guarantee that they'll improve your photography, it's worth a shot. #8D) I've recently replaced the camera I used on the Camino with a new one from the same series, a Sony DSC-HX100V. It's very much like the old one, but has a few great new features. One is a setting for HDR photos, which basically often gives photos in difficult light settings much more detail. The other is an ability to take panorama photos simply by sweeping the camera around you. It keeps amazing me.

Linda: Jeg håper planen din holder denne gangen. Bare spør hvis det er noe du lurer på!

Happy trails, everyone!

Bjørn

From experience, I can say that being an atheist is not a permanent condition.

When you feel love and hear that inner voice, start following it. You might be surprised just where it leads!

Thank you for the photos, Bjorn. Now, can you please take your camera for a walk on the pilgrimage to Trondheim, so that we can see what that is like, too? :)

P.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Panda,

I'm afraid I haven't had the opportunity to do the walk to Nidaros just yet, but I'm definitely looking into doing it some day.

In the meantime, however, I can offer you a glimpse into the Via Francigena. I walked the section from Fidenza and Rome this summer (about 600 kilometres), and here's my trip report from it: http://www.pvv.org/~bct/via/

Happy trails!

Bjørn

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Many thanks Bjorn,
You've given me itchy feet/blisters to head back to do my next stint from Burgos to Leon. I've sent a link to my son who has walked the Jotunheimen.
I love your comments.
Annie

Thanks Bjorn for the lovely images. I will be walking this Sept/October and have been debating about taking my small, non-SLR camera. You just sold me on taking it along.

Not sure that I view this as a religious pilgrimage myself, I only know that it is what I need to do...

Thanks Bjorn! I'll be walking in 6 weeks and it's nice to see what the path will look like at that time... I too will be bringing my camera.

Margaret
(Canada)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Bjorn! I am a photographer and also an atheist. I will start from SJPdP on 5 October carrying my trusty Nikon full-frame camera. I suspect my time will be anything but "brown and dusty"!

cheers

Alex
(Australia)

peach photos
thanks
where the atheist sees brown and boring
possibly the spirited sees god just taking a rest before starting creation again
perhaps

You might be surprised what you hear if you were to listen to some atheists.

Tom

Atheism, Catholicism and so on are purely labels and groups that divide humanity. That goes for politics and nationalities too. The sooner people realise this the better imho.

You've given me itchy feet/blisters to head back to do my next stint from Burgos to Leon. I've sent a link to my son who has walked the Jotunheimen.
I love your comments.
Annie

Thank you, Annie. Good luck with your walk, that leg is one full of trail leading straight into the horizon... Make sure to bring some deep thoughts to ponder upon, and remember to pay the full metal pilgrim in Burgos a visit before you leave! (http://bjornfree.com/camino/imagepages/image45.htm)

Buen camino, happy trails!
Bjørn

Thanks Bjorn for the lovely images. I will be walking this Sept/October and have been debating about taking my small, non-SLR camera. You just sold me on taking it along.
Thank you, Nicol. DO bring your camera, and be sure to show us what you saw along your way.

I found September/October to be a perfect time to walk. Hopefully you will have as little rain as I did.

Buen camino!
Bjørn

Hi Bjorn! I am a photographer and also an atheist. I will start from SJPdP on 5 October carrying my trusty Nikon full-frame camera. I suspect my time will be anything but "brown and dusty"!

Ooh, that should result in lots of interesting imagery. Be sure to share the results with us here!

Starting in October, you may get to see a bit more wetness than I did, but that should just add in more interesting skies in your photos, so count it as a blessing. :)

Buen camino,
Bjørn

Christer !my thoughts exactly .....

my family is a league of nations for which I am profoundly grateful we have learnt so much ... we ( our family) are Catholics, Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Australian, Indonesian, Turkish, Dutch, Irish

ALL parts have been enriching and I am so grateful for it all.... sometimes it seemed like a challenge when a new dimension was introduced.....but it has all been enriching :)

I walked the Camino Frances just a week or so after deciding to do so. This site and the forums helped me prepare for it well in a short time, so here's my thank you note for that, in the shape of a link to my photo journal from the walk:

http://www.pvv.org/~bct/camino/

I walked it in just over three weeks in September/October, so it's El Camino wearing its dry, non-green outfit. I realize I walked fast, maybe too fast, but I hope my photos prove that I have not just rushed through it all.

Wow! They are superb. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Bjørn

Most read last week in this forum

We have arrived in San Sebastián today to start our small journey on the Camino Norte and we are just so excited. We managed to get sometime with Aussie friends of ours that we met on the Camino...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.