Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St.Juan de Villapanada.

jaws101

Hope to be overnighting next week at Villapanada Albergue....can anyone advise on blanket availability.....we are currently in Spain and making final plans to start the Primitivo.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
No responses!!! Oh well, we'll start tomorrow without a sleeping bag and if we shiver all night we know who to blame, lol.

Excited about starting the Primitivo, it was delayed from May due to the weather (and mud). Hope nothing stops us now!

I guess there aren't many on the forum who've stopped there. Grado is the usual first stop for the long legged out of Oviedo. Escamplero for those like me who like to take it slow. It's a parochial Albergue in a fairly small pueblo without any services apart from the dispensing machine in the Albergue. Blankets are unlikely to be available but you never know your luck. The old school building at Esclampero has a cupboard full - you just need to know where to look.

The Primitivo is a great Camino, have a good one.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We're actually hoping to stay in the Pension but not getting a response from them. The albergue is a fallback and we're not carrying a sleeping bag, just a sheet inner.

Tomorrow night will be interesting!!!

We may (now we're going to start earlier in the day than originally anticipated) walk further and stop at Grado.

Thanks for your response @Tincatinker

I guess there aren't many on the forum who've stopped there. Grado is the usual first stop for the long legged out of Oviedo.
Maybe now, but I don't think there were any pilgrim albergues in Grado until 2016? I visited Villapanada mid-September 2011 and it was full, and all folk I talked to had started in Oviedo that morning. I have fond memories of the place, mainly because of Domingo, the hospitalero, who was amazingly helpful. I see Gronze still lists him as the hospitalero.. if he is still there he'd probably give you the blankets off his own bed if there weren't any others available (seems unlikely).
Jaws, please let us know how you get on.

there's a shiny new private albergue in Grado now, you should have no problems finding a warm bed, even if the Grado municipal is full. Villapanada has blankets, but this far into the year I would not guarantee their daisy-freshness. Bring up some food with you from Grado!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We stopped the first night in Escamplero cos I got a blister on the ball of my foot. However, after minor surgery! today I was able to walk on it. We passed Grado and Villapañada and are now in a shed at Doriga!! Very nice it is also cos we have it to ourselves. It was fiesta today in Doriga so the bar was full but they still made us welcome and I innocently found myself in the grounds of the Palace (the gate was open, why not!). It was closed and locked half an hour later, lol.

April 2019:easter. Domingo showed up (with a temper), required all to lay out their sleeping bags, and threatened to throw out anyone without this basic equipment. The albuergue is unheated, with a choice of huddling around a stove in the kitchen or moving it into the dorm. Simulatenously heating water blew the fused, leaving is in the dark. The bossy approach by the Domino is contrary to the information above, severely upsetting to the witnesses and the mist unwelcome we saw on two camino so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back