• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Maria in Leon

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances SJPP to SdC Oct/Nov 2015
Frances Burgos toSdC March/April 2016
W. Highland Way August 2016
Camino Somewhere September 2017
I am traveling with an older companion. She had her backpack sent forward with Jactrans,

Be aware that at Santa Maria, they have the companies who deliver backpacks just set them in the open courtyard, which is open to the world. Yes, the worst happened. My friends backpack was stolen. It was a long night. The ladies here at the convent did not want to involve the police. They just aren't sure who to call, etc. etc. In fact, it's pretty obvious that they don't want the police involved at all.

Do not have your backpack delivered here under any circumstance. It is not safe. Also, because it is now late October, if you have your backpack delivered forward to a place, the place may be closed and at that point the companies will take your backpack to any place that they can find is open. I have seen this happen a few times now. I recommend that if you can't carry your pack, you are taking a very large risk.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very sorry to hear that. We had an incident of theft as well the thing good to come of it will be the support of those around her.

Debrita, whilst this was a distressing experience for the backpack owner and maybe for the people at Santa Maria, but pack transport is a fact of Camino life that is likely to continue for the foreseeable future. Whilst I have not used the service, my recommendation is use a reputable transport company, tell the hotel or Albergue that your pack is being transported and by which company. Lastly ensure that you important valuables are carried by YOU. Buen Camino:):cool:

PS I hope that the pack owner did report this incident to the police.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jacotran is having some issues. Honestly, attention was given to every point that you made. Thanks for the commentary, as it may help someone else, but she did everything just right, and we are now spending the day dealing with the police and working on replacing her things. I only share the information so that people know that Santa Maria does not secure the backpacks

And also, if the place is closed for the winter, the businesses of transport will take the backpacks to the nearest place, and then there can be problems too. Just keeping you all in the loop. Again, of course we know to keep our personal belongings and money and passports with us. Really.

I've used backpack transport every year on the CF the past few years, and luckily, so far no issues.
I use Caminofacil and I pay up front for the entire trip, saving a bit.
I think it's important to caution people to never put anything in your transported pack that you cannot afford to lose.
Carry any electronics, cash, passport, etc with you at ALL times.

There isn't a lot of theft along the Camino, but as it gets more and more popular, like anywhere, the thieves do look for opportunities.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When I stayed at Santa Maria a pack was taken outside while inside 8 phones that were plugged in were stolen. It has many ways to enter. But it reminds us that we must keep vigilant. This is not a slam on the alburgue, just a sad reflection of reality. I never had anything stolen, but I did forget items along the way.

I've used backpack transport every year on the CF the past few years, and luckily, so far no issues.
I use Caminofacil and I pay up front for the entire trip, saving a bit.
I think it's important to caution people to never put anything in your transported pack that you cannot afford to lose.
Carry any electronics, cash, passport, etc with you at ALL times.

There isn't a lot of theft along the Camino, but as it gets more and more popular, like anywhere, the thieves do look for opportunities.

I will also emphasize that the workers at Santa Maria where quite rude and unhelpful. The police today were absolutely fabulous, and while one worker at Santa Maria helped us to telephone the police, after I had insisted on getting the telephone number, the others were downright angry that we were calling the police and they told us in Spanish, it is not our problem, it is your problem. We of course had not told them it was their problem.

We have been overwhelmed with courtesy and friendliness and wonderful people all along the way, and my Spanish is quite good. At the police station, they were exceptional and professional and helped us with everything we needed. At the medical clinic, the same. The Santa Maria did not impress us at all. I understand that it is in a somewhat poor location, but again, the issue is that they put the backpacks in and outside courtyard near a somewhat poor section of town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will also emphasize that the workers at Santa Maria where quite rude and unhelpful.

That was sadly my experience in late October 2012.

I do not expect anything or require any special treatment. Typically, I make myself invisible.

That said, I was made to feel "under the gun" the whole time I was there.

I have no idea of the "why" behind this but I could not get out fast enough the next morning.

Needless to say, I did not try it again in 2014.

BTW - - I would LOVE to hear from anyone who had a great experience there...and when. I would like to believe that maybe the stars were not aligned on my visit or @CaminoDebrita's current one.

B

Santa Maria is not the Benedictine convent is it?
The people there were wonderful to us?

Yes, Santa María is the Benedictine convent (also called the Monasterio de las Carbajalas). When I last stayed there, though it was years ago, I found that the hospitaleros were very kind and friendly -- all volunteers. They were Belgian, I believe, but i didn't get the sense that the Belgian association ran it. Maybe Deb's reference to "workers" means that the practice of volunteer hospitaleros has stopped (or has just stopped for the season) or that she was dealing with paid staff and not the hospitaleros.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@Anniesantiago -

Yep - Benedictine convent, it is!

I felt pretty bad about my experience there as I highly respect the Benedictine order. Well, most nuns actually since they were a large part of my education.

It was a couple of the lay helpers (men) who were just downright nasty at every turn.

But, you had a great experience of staying there?

Do tell, they could use some positive press, I think. And, you might convert me into giving them another try!:)

B

The older short hospalitera with bad teeth was delightful and kind to us. The very tall woman and the short woman with shorthair were both exceptionally rude when we insisted on making a police report.

They gave our friend with the stolen backpack a bunch of old stuff to replace her backpack, including some pretty raggedy items. They did give her a very decent sleeping sack. That was kind. In the morning, however, when we told them that we needed to get the police to take the report they were angry and literally Insisting that we go outside in the cold immediately and let them lock the place up and clean.

At one point, the tall woman grabbed my hand and tried to show me that she wanted me to go outside in the cold and rain. I told her, no, we need to deal with the police situation first. And please don't touch me.

Honestly, they are quite nice until there's a problem. Then, you will see a different situation. Our understanding is that there have been many thefts there before. They are afraid of the police at this point.

Not sure why you think they need good press, but go for it. I won't stay there again.

Not sure why you think they need good press, but go for it. I won't stay there again.

@CaminoDebrita -

I understand your feelings very well. That said, it is my experience (limited as it may be) that experiences of one pilgrim differ from those of another at a lot of the albergues. The change in experience seems hugely correlated to a change in hospitalero(a)s. I am just trying to figure out whether the situation there is a consistent one.

You have made an excellent point though that all was well and good until a problem came up. I appreciate your reports!

B

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I'm betting that the good experiences come from the main summer months when the hospitaleros are volunteers. It sounds like Deb is describing paid workers. Both simply B and CaminoDebrita were there in October, and I was there in the summer, as was Annie, I think.

They were very nice last year both were men. But the theft problem is an issue. As the only support came from other pilgrims. I believe they do what they can for the poor, It just seemed too few workers with very many souls, both local & pilgrims . The courtyard was full of folks. It can be a rough crowd for the workers

I've stayed at Caebajalas twice. So clearly a choice despite the close quarters, the tight fit. Breakfast not worth the money, but the location is great and people always nice and helpful. Last time saw many bags sitting outside the door before opening hours, but blâme that on the Walker who dropped them off and went to visit the town. It is a large place with a large portico and courtyard, but it cannot afford to have someone minding it non stop. Sorry this had to,happen, but perhaps Jacotrans could keep,track of closed albergues at diffère' tu times of the year and let costumes know about them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Honestly, they are quite nice until there's a problem. Then, you will see a different situation. Our understanding is that there have been many thefts there before. They are afraid of the police at this point.
There may be other reasons why they are "afraid" of making a report to the police. For one, that it's of no practical use: figure out who stole the pack ?:rolleyes:
The issue of pack forwarding with various organisations like Jacotrans can be debated as being efficient (probably 99 %) or disgusting (1% ?). The problem is that very often these backpacks can only be deposited at predetermined locations (albergues), where the albergue hospitaleros do not (and obviously cannot) accept responsibility for packs which are supposed to be collected by people who stay in other places. It would mean checking the labels, show identification, refuse third party collection, etc. The system is working on a trust basis. There is no insurance for lost or misled items. Everybody is doing his/her best to make it work. As soon as problems crop up, if they can easily be solved, they will be. If not: no point calling the police, who will also be at a loss.:mad:

@Anniesantiago -

Yep - Benedictine convent, it is!

I felt pretty bad about my experience there as I highly respect the Benedictine order. Well, most nuns actually since they were a large part of my education.

It was a couple of the lay helpers (men) who were just downright nasty at every turn.

But, you had a great experience of staying there?

Do tell, they could use some positive press, I think. And, you might convert me into giving them another try!:)

B
I think I will see what it would take t volunteer there. It is a place that needs help.

As an hotelkeeper of many years standing I would suggest that the reception, and therefore the care of guests luggage, is a service that is offered and in fact paid for.
If I was a guest whose luggage was stolen the Police would be called. This is not a proceedure to be followed at management's discretion!
Management, being nuns, paid workers or volunteers would receive a complaint delivered at a high decible level.

Experience would suggest that the albergue is being operated by a group of incompetents.
Regards
Gerard

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There may be other reasons why they are "afraid" of making a report to the police. For one, that it's of no practical use: figure out who stole the pack ?:rolleyes:
The issue of pack forwarding with various organisations like Jacotrans can be debated as being efficient (probably 99 %) or disgusting (1% ?). The problem is that very often these backpacks can only be deposited at predetermined locations (albergues), where the albergue hospitaleros do not (and obviously cannot) accept responsibility for packs which are supposed to be collected by people who stay in other places. It would mean checking the labels, show identification, refuse third party collection, etc. The system is working on a trust basis. There is no insurance for lost or misled items. Everybody is doing his/her best to make it work. As soon as problems crop up, if they can easily be solved, they will be. If not: no point calling the police, who will also be at a loss.:mad:

Interesting ideas, but incorrect. The reason for the police report is that the woman's insurance company in sunny Australia need the police report in hand in order to reimburse her loss.

I think I will see what it would take t volunteer there. It is a place that needs help.
Your kindness would certainly be helpful there. That said, there is a real atmosphere of police state. Hospitaleras is clapping hands loudly, grabbing people by the hand and arms to move them around, glaring and acting angry to make people move. They do need a lot of help.

my only experience here in Spain – – and currently I am sitting in a café having a drink while walking out of Leon! – –that was negative was with a place supposedly run by Benedictine nuns! There was one older nun walking around smiling benevolently,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Your kindness would certainly be helpful there. That said, there is a real atmosphere of police state. Hospitaleras is clapping hands loudly, grabbing people by the hand and arms to move them around, glaring and acting angry to make people move. They do need a lot of help.

my only experience here in Spain – – and currently I am sitting in a café having a drink while walking out of Leon! – –that was negative was with a place supposedly run by Benedictine nuns! There was one older nun walking around smiling benevolently,
I think the good Pope would be very well served to walk as a pilgrim. Enjoy your walk out, as this can be chalked up as a test. From this point on your pilgrimage will just get more interesting.
Buen Camino!

As an hotelkeeper of many years standing I would suggest that the reception, and therefore the care of guests luggage, is a service that is offered and in fact paid for.
If I was a guest whose luggage was stolen the Police would be called. This is not a proceedure to be followed at management's discretion!
Management, being nuns, paid workers or volunteers would receive a complaint delivered at a high decible level.

Experience would suggest that the albergue is being operated by a group of incompetents.
Regards
Gerard

This is NOT a hotel, it is a pilgrim albergue and pilgrims are lucky to have a place to sleep out of the weather, in my opinion. The cost here is minimal, and there still ARE albergues that will not allow a pilgrim to stay if they've used bag transport. This could very well be a good reason why. There are not enough volunteers to assign someone to sit and be a watchdog for backpacks that have come in. If a person is that concerned about their pack, they might want to consider a hotel or hostel where there is a receptionist.

When you use bag transport, you use it at your own risk.

That's just the way it is.

As far as a police report, I suggest the person whose bag was stolen go directly to the police station and ask for a report.
Since the bags are NOT the responsibility of the hospitalero or albergue, neither is getting a police report.
It's the responsibility of the person who used the bag transport company.

Regarding complaints - there is an old saying, "Pilgrims should be grateful for whatever they get - they should not make demands."

If you are staying at a HOTEL, that's different.
At an albergue, where most of the help is volunteer, just be happy you have a roof and a bed. :)

I also would remind people that this is the end of the season.
In Spring, when everybody is fresh, they are also happy to see the pilgrims.
By the end of the season, I imagine pilgrims feel more like locusts.
The locals are weary of their demands and just want them all to go home.
That's just my take on it - not saying it's true...

And nuns... well, if you grew up in Catholic school you know... :::laughing:::

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We stayed there two weeks ago. No complaints staff efficient and helpful, went for evening prayers with the nuns who were warm and friendly.
As in any city extra care of procession is necessary

This is NOT a hotel, it is a pilgrim albergue and pilgrims are lucky to have a place to sleep out of the weather, in my opinion. The cost here is minimal, and there still ARE albergues that will not allow a pilgrim to stay if they've used bag transport. This could very well be a good reason why. There are not enough volunteers to assign someone to sit and be a watchdog for backpacks that have come in. If a person is that concerned about their pack, they might want to consider a hotel or hostel where there is a receptionist.

Amen!!!!

A "Like" just didn't seem to be enough.

I also would remind people that this is the end of the season.
In Spring, when everybody is fresh, they are also happy to see the pilgrims.
By the end of the season, I imagine pilgrims feel more like locusts.
The locals are weary of their demands and just want them all to go home.
That's just my take on it - not saying it's true...

And nuns... well, if you grew up in Catholic school you know... :::laughing:::

Annie...hear you on the nuns...:D Still have a sixth sense when it comes to them...hahaha.
I remember Santa Maria as a cramped place but the hospis at the time ( May 2011 ) were Galician guys from A Coruna and a delight.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
BTW - - I would LOVE to hear from anyone who had a great experience there...and when.
I had a great experience there in May this year. In fact I was allowed stay 2 nights because I was limping badly with tendonitis. A Spanish hospitalero, Carlos saw me limping and insisted on treating my foot with aromatherapy oils for at least 30 minutes in the courtyard. It really helped and I was able to walk on again after a days rest. I will definitely stay there again.

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back