• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Michael's Mount, Cornwall.

PilgrimYacht

I have read from 1430 AD, Penzance was a popular port to sail Pilgrims to Gallicia.
There being a Shrine in the Priory on St Michaels Mount just 3 miles away.

Has anyone discovered links along the Camino Ingles with the West Country?

Certainly there are a number of web pages looking at the popularity in the Cornwall of the name James, and surname Jago and their varients.

Also does anyone have further information/websites re. the Shrine to St. Michael on the Mount? A Pilgrimage in its own right in the mediaeval and renaissance.

Thank you

Simon

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
for many years there was a Cornish group called the Bredereth Sen Jago, who amongst other things instigated the Forth Sen Myghal or St Michael's Way from Lelant to SMM. I believe they carried out research into historical evidence of links with Santiago. SMM's main continental links were of course with Mont Saint Michel.

I've not seen reference to the BSJ for quite a few years now and don't think they're active any more, but the CSJ office may be able to give you some contacts if you're especially interested.

Pilgrim Yacht: I lived in the area of St. Michael's Mount many years ago and have always been fascinated with Cornwall and the Cornish. I would love to know more about any possible pilgrim links. I do hope you will keep us posted if you find out anything more about any pilgrimage connections. Penzance, Falmouth and Fowey (and Plymouth in Devon) would be obvious ports of any size.
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.com
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Taken from the CSJ Conference paper by Hilary Shaw "Cornwall and St James - The Ways by land and sea from Cornwall to Santiago de Compostela"

I have to attach pages in separate files and only 3 at a time so here4 is the article.

Attachments

• Enrolled ships.PDF
    40.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Maps.PDF
    54.9 KB · Views: 106

Attachments

• Cornwall to Santiago 1.PDF
    91.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Cornwall to Santiago 10001.PDF
    98.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Cornwall to Santiago 10002.PDF
    88.7 KB · Views: 98

Attachments

• Cornwall to Santiago 2.PDF
    95.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Cornwall to Santiago 20002.PDF
    103.7 KB · Views: 109
  • Cornwall to Santiago 20003.PDF
    85.8 KB · Views: 105
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last Page

Attachments

• Cornwall to Santiago 20004.PDF
    56 KB · Views: 103

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back