• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

St Michael's Way: The UK Camino

onwayhome

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Ponferrada-Santiago,(c1986)
Frances SJPP-Santiago (2011)
Portuguese Porto- Finisterre (2016)
St Michaels Way (2016)
Even after hearing about this footpath it was still a surprise to see a sign with the familiar Camino scallop shell design and 'Pilgrim route to Santiago' in a Cornish seaside village. St Michael's Way is the only UK footpath to be designated a European Cultural Route in recognition of its re-discovered history as a route for traders, missionaries and pilgrims. The 20km path runs from Lelant to Marazion, linking the sandy beaches of the north and south coast via ancient churches, a hill fort, and holy well. Although it's way marked in both directions,walking from North to South gives increasing glimpses of St Michaels Mount rising above the bay and is heading in the direction of Santiago. I found the signs a bit patchy in a couple of areas and would say a good map is essential, OS Explorer 102 has the route marked. The welcoming White Hart at Ludgvan serves lunch until 3pm but two very busy road crossings follow soon after (if the direct route is taken to Marazion) so a clear head is needed!

There's public transport to either end. If travelling by train get off at the Lelant request stop rather than the usual Lelant Saltings station. The route has an active support group: http://www.stmichaelsway.net/ which has been hosting a series of public events this year.

Buen Camino! (does anyone know how that might translate into Cornish?)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I loved walking St Michael's Way in Cornwall, southwest England yesterday. I started in Levant and walked to Marazion on the longer option via Gulvan village, then walked back to Levant on the slightly shorter option via the Marazion Marshes. It is amazing to know that I can walk an official Camino de Santiago route which is less than 2 hours drive from my home. DSCF0217dr.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Devon Mike, or whomever else would like to answer. I'm interested in walking St. Michael's way this summer. But I was wondering, did you combine your St. Michael's km. with your Camino Ingles km for a compostela? Do you get a credencial specifically for the St. Michael's way, or can you put your sellos on a Camino credencial? Does that make any sense. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Devon Mike, or whomever else would like to answer. I'm interested in walking St. Michael's way this summer. But I was wondering, did you combine your St. Michael's km. with your Camino Ingles km for a compostela? Do you get a credencial specifically for the St. Michael's way, or can you put your sellos on a Camino credencial? Does that make any sense. Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Seems there's quite a lot of information about this on their website!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looks like St Michael's Way is now formally recognised as part of the Camino Ingles, complete with its own credential, although I'm wondering if there are any places to get it stamped? When I walked this path there was one church open but unattended and the bar staff at the pub, while providing a good lunch, had no idea it was on a pilgrimage route. It's a lovely walk, buen Camino!

I had never heard of this walk. How does a person combine it with the Ingles...flight from where?...ferry?, or swim? ☺
I don't think there's any way to carry on directly to the Ingles... unless you find an adventurous boat owner in Newlyn harbour 😉.
The Finchale Priory route in County Durham is also recognised as part of the Camino Ingles.
I've often wondered how long a gap is possible between the two walks if they are being accumulated for a Compostela?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To the best of my knowledge, and recently an answer was given to a similar question for the irish Camino plus Ingles: no time limit. Maybe 20 years is a bit much though. I have walked the required distance in Ireland and got my credencial stamped wherever I could, including a church, library and a pub, and then got my Compostela certificate in St James’s church in town. It will add to the distance I walk when I do the Ingles camino. I do not plan to swim. Ryanair or Aerlingus will help me out when the time comes.

I had never heard of this walk. How does a person combine it with the Ingles...flight from where?...ferry?, or swim? ☺
Well, you could try ferry from Plymouth to Santander; FEVE to Ferrol & start walking. I've a feeling that would be a trip worthy of Bryson, Theroux or even the late lamented Eric Newby. The logistics would be more of a challenge than the walk but it is do-able 🆒 From memory it is possible to get from Santander to Ferrol in two days on the FEVE but you may need to sprint for a couple of connections. Otherwise plan on three.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have now uploaded a set of photos on flickr of my walk on St Michael's Way. Here is the link:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUrCPGb
Lovely photos Mike - we will have to walk this one as well. We cycled the Saint's Way - as a precursor to our first 'Camino' which was beautiful, eventful and really should not have been done on a bike - not with a dog in a trailer too...!
We are setting off next week on a cycle of the Michael Mary Pilgrims Way - I think you would love that too - if you haven't already...?! (the walking route)

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.